Notices
Four Corners If you live in the Four Corners area (Utah, Colorado, Arizona and New Mexico) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members in your area and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Four Corners Area Trail Links

Old 09-22-2008, 02:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Mexico Trails

I have attached a map of a portion of the Cibola National Forest located in Socorro Co. New Mexico. I was born in Magdalena so I have used all of these roads many times. Unless you are going to hit it during the winter you can use 2WD most of the time with the exception of going to the top of Mt. Withington which sits at 10,000 ft in elevation. There are a few different roads you can take to make a full day of riding or if you are like me and enjoy camping there you can camp at Bear Trap campground. If you got the family with you, you can simply keep going SSE and stay the night in Truth or Consequences. They have a pretty big lake for watersports and smaller Caballo lake up the road for fishing. Anyhow here are the directions. (I will start from Albuquerque)

1)Take freeway South

2)Exit Socorro/Magdalena

3)HWY 60 to Magdalena (26 MI)

4)When you get into town the Ranger Station will be on your left (You can pick up a detailed topo map of ALL the roads in the area, the ones off the beaten path are better IMO. It's about 5 bucks I think.)

5)Keep going straight through town and head for Datil.

6)Make a left or turn South on to Forest Road 549

That's how you get to the area..... Monica Cabin is not that great don't waste your time finding it.

For those of you who care the Very Large Array ( all those huge sattelite antenna's are just a little bit further West on HWY 60.

For people that like to hike make sure to walk up to Apache Kid's Gravesite.

You are sure to see wildlife, the air is brisk and clean, there are poopers for the ladies!!!!!!! Enjoy

SORRY SO LONG
Old 09-22-2008, 02:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/cibola/maps/...ickref_map.pdf

This is the link to the forest map..... It is not the greatest I reccomend buying the one from the ranger station. However this is what I used before I learned all the roads.
Old 12-24-2008, 08:53 PM
JK Newbie

Was just looking for trails to do this Friday in AZ, and I found this link. One of the better lists of AZ trails I've found.

http://www.azgfd.gov/outdoor_recreat...v_trails.shtml

Happy Wheeling!
Old 12-26-2008, 06:38 AM
JK Junkie

Thanks for posting, that's a great link.
Old 12-15-2009, 05:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

It has been a very long time sense anyone has posted on here...

One of my favorite Colorado trails is Medano Pass south of Wetcliffe about 25 miles. It takes you to the Great Sand Dunes the back way so you don't have to pay to enjoy the Dunes. It has 7 or 8 different water crossings early in the year they can get kind of deep. Pretty easy but fun trail.
Old 01-14-2010, 06:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

I was needing to find some trails near santa fe. I will be there with a buddy at the end of april. I saw the one on post 12 I think but that is to far away for what we need. so any help would be great.
Old 01-21-2010, 05:13 PM
JK Freak

I've got a number of Colorado and Utah GPS tracks on my website...

Colorado GPS Tracks: http://www.myxj.net/blog/trails/colorado-gps-tracks

Utah GPS Tracks: http://www.myxj.net/blog/trails/utah-gps-tracks
Old 01-28-2010, 07:36 PM
JK Newbie

the Deer Creek/Saints John area in Montezuma, CO is a good area. It is a late July-Aug area though to get out without having to backtracking because of deep snow. some areas get deep snow drifts and dont get hit by the sun that often even in the summer. the Deer Creek and Saints John area isn't that hard but has outstanding views. you can also get to Red Cone from up there and the Swan River area which goes to Breckenridge. Make sure you go slow through Montezuma though.
Old 02-09-2010, 06:43 PM
JK Freak

For anyone who likes to explore around Moab (especially the trails and roads that aren't in guides), these maps are invaluable:

http://www.blm.gov/ut/st/en/fo/moab/...utes/copy.html

Every drivable trail/road in the Moab BLM area.
Old 02-19-2010, 07:16 PM
JK Super Freak

Just did the Martinez Cabin trail just outside Florence Junction,AZ... It was one of the most scenic trails that I have been on to date(5th actual trail). Only downside was how busy it was due to the holiday weekend. People with utv's everywhere and they dont share the road very well. Other than that I highly recomend this trail. PLEASE NOTe AZ STATE TRUST LAND PERMIT IS REQUIRED! There a lot of maps available for this trail...unfortunatley I used a friends so cant share any sources at this time.

Last edited by azrwilkinson; 08-23-2011 at 06:29 PM.

Quick Reply: Four Corners Area Trail Links