Notices
Last Frontier If you live in Alaska and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Alaska BS thread

Old 08-14-2009, 10:52 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alaska BS thread

This right here is a thread dedicated for BSing

There's a coupla regulars and a few lurkers hiding out in Anchorage, Eagle River, Healy, Fairbanks and some out of towners that dip in here. So share stories. Where's your favorite place to wheel? Hunting and fishing stories are welcome. Got a gripe you need to vent about? Spot another JK on the road and curious if they're here? Pretty much anything can go here but remember that kids can access this so PG-13.
Old 08-14-2009, 05:54 PM
JK Jedi

Sounds good......

A guy I work with killed a small bull with an arrow Tuesday. So I had fresh moose liver and onions with bacon last night. Yummy....!!!
Old 08-14-2009, 06:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by AK4Dave
Sounds good......

A guy I work with killed a small bull with an arrow Tuesday. So I had fresh moose liver and onions with bacon last night. Yummy....!!!
moose liver? how does moose compare to other game animals?
Old 08-14-2009, 06:23 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by AK4Dave
Sounds good......

And why wasnt a recipe posted in the grilling section??? I wasn't ever a fan of liver and onions but tastes have changed over the years. Hell, I eat asparagous now so I might have to try it again one of these days.

As a side note. Smoked up about 6 salmon flanks over the weekend and finally got done snacking on them. Thinking about possibly, maybe, hopefully heading down to Clam Gulch area next month to do some clamming. I'd have to look at the tide book again but I want to say 3rd weekend is supposed to be really good.
Old 08-15-2009, 10:21 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by 08{GA}RUBICON
moose liver? how does moose compare to other game animals?
Well, I agree.........liver, ANY kind of liver is pretty much an acquired taste. But I was raised on wild game so love most of it. And I don't like beef liver, nor does my wife, but she'll eat moose liver. Cooked with bacon and tons of onions can't hurt either........lol. And it makes a huge difference weather or not it's fresh, not frozen. In my opinion, liver does not freeze well.
Moose meat as a whole is the leanest game meat you can eat. Many folks that start eating moose meat, at first say....."it's alright". But after eating say, a whole moose, and then go back to beef, many say the beef doesn't compare and tastes funny. In fact the guy that killed the little bull told me that was the way he felt as well. I've heard that quite a bit over the years. I like elk quite a bit too. It's second on the list as far as lowest fat content.
Old 08-15-2009, 10:28 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by falconfixer
And why wasnt a recipe posted in the grilling section??? I wasn't ever a fan of liver and onions but tastes have changed over the years. Hell, I eat asparagous now so I might have to try it again one of these days.

As a side note. Smoked up about 6 salmon flanks over the weekend and finally got done snacking on them. Thinking about possibly, maybe, hopefully heading down to Clam Gulch area next month to do some clamming. I'd have to look at the tide book again but I want to say 3rd weekend is supposed to be really good.
Not much of a recipe really......like I said just fried with bacon and onions.

Hey, if you want nice clams I wouldn't bother with Clam Gulch unless you like small clams. If you want REAL NICE BIG clams go to Ninilchik. Get on the beach and head south a few miles from Deep Creek. I've dug my share of clams at Clam Gulch, but for years now, down south is the only place I go.
Old 08-15-2009, 10:38 AM
JK Junkie

Ninilchik is the place I was thinking of last night but couldn't form a rational thought. I was down there in that area a few weeks back camping at a place called Heavenly Charters (I think or something along those lines) and it's a pretty nice place on the bluff and a stones throw from Nilnilchik. Still gotta see what's going to fall into place on my end the next couple of weeks... trying to find a place to live
Old 08-15-2009, 12:27 PM
JK Junkie

If anyone is interested where the best sushi in Anchorage is, it's Samuri Sushi on Muldoon Quality is comparable to what I had in Japan, good prices and excellent service. Me and Ang went there last night for our annivesary and the mama-san (can we still say that?) overheard us talking about it being our 5th year and she came out with a bowl of fried ice-cream with a candle in it for no charge. Hey it's the little things in this day and age.
Old 08-15-2009, 02:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Congrats on the anniversary. As for sushi.... I wont eat it.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:14 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by tonkmaster
Congrats on the anniversary. As for sushi.... I wont eat it.
The man of so few words

I did make this a PG-13 thread but eating sushi is like, well, use your imagination Some of it is really good and some of it I wouldn't poke with a stick.

Aside from that, I'm gotta get with you and see if you're free to blow your back out the end of the month. Got some furniture to move that isn't all that heavy but it's gonna be a bear to get out of this place's design. johhny, you game too? Beer and pizza is on the menu

Quick Reply: Alaska BS thread