Notices
Last Frontier If you live in Alaska and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Alaska BS thread

Old 08-20-2009, 09:08 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well hell, install and snow removal party. What you gonna buy for next month?
Old 08-20-2009, 09:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Don't know, what do you think I need?
Old 08-20-2009, 09:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

haha, install and snow removal, what a combo
Old 08-20-2009, 11:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tonkmaster
Don't know, what do you think I need?

"A Snow Plow kit!!! "
Old 08-21-2009, 05:39 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by tonkmaster
December my ass This time next month we might see snow
Ha......it was 30 degrees at my house this morn, so if it was the right conditions it actually could have snowed here today. Now isn't that a wonderful thought...???!!!

Hey Joe.....don't know what you'll look at first so I'll post here and send you a PM. Are you coming down to dig clams tomorrow? Me and the kids are. Let me know and I'll take you to my little hot spot.
Old 08-23-2009, 10:35 AM
JK Jedi

Sorry you couldn't make it.....someday. The kids and I did "ok" on the clams. Pigged out last night...

Old 08-23-2009, 10:47 AM
JK Junkie

Got your PM and hoping to make one more trip down there Those are some nice-sized clams and it's always a good time to get out with the family. Do you have your own tools or did you rent them?
Old 08-23-2009, 11:18 AM
JK Newbie

Tonkmaster, Yes that was me, its a small world after all I did sell you that rack! Thanks for the offers and the freindly advice! Sounds like a party to me. I leave next month for overseas (TCN Duty) for four months. I hope to get it done by then or if not the extra money I make over there could add some extra tire size to the jeep. I hope yall like keystone... hahahahaha nice clams by the way, those are huge
Old 08-23-2009, 01:31 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by falconfixer
Got your PM and hoping to make one more trip down there Those are some nice-sized clams and it's always a good time to get out with the family. Do you have your own tools or did you rent them?
No, I've got my own "tools"....lol......Just a couple clam shovels (one with a broken handle), a spade, and two five gallon buckets. You gotta remember, I've been diggin' clams up here for 26 years.

Oh, and seeing this is the BS thread get this....

As we got closer to Deep Creek, we came around the corner at the Ninilchik River and the traffic was stopped dead..... Then I remember the Ninilchik Fair was going on. I knew I could get down on the beach there, but I go south, PAST where Deep Creek drains into the inlet to our clam digging spot, which meant I'd have to get across Deep Creek. I've seen rigs way down low on the beach at low tide, but I'm not a fan of doing that. You just never know if you might hit a sink hole somewhere and, well....when the tide changes during a major low and high, it comes in like a friggin' freight train. I've known a few folks to get stuck and loose their rigs to the tide.

Anyway, I got down on the beach and headed south. When I got to Deep Creek, I saw another guy in an old beater truck way down on the beach getting coal. I figured well, if I get stuck at least I've got a strap, he's right there to help, and the tide won't change for almost an hour. Anyway, Deep Creek, spreads out into all kinds of little fingers as it enters the inlet when there is a minus tide, so they all get pretty shallow, but are running pretty fast. Always aware of my CAI, I looked for the shallowest, and most gravel, spot and decided to go for it. I went across a couple fingers no problem, the water not even halfway up the wheels. Then I come to the last finger and the largest. I can see it's pretty shallow, but also see that it does get a little deeper, it was only about 6 feet across, but couldn't tell just how deep it was on the far side. I figured it couldn't be over a foot and a half. I didn't want to go too slow in case there was some mud hiding under there somewhere, so I hit it just a little bit faster. Water did splash up over the hood a little and I waited for the engine to sputter. It didn't, and was no problem whatsoever. RELIEF...!!! I really wouldn't have minded the water too bad, it was just being way down low on the beach during a minus tide that was making me a bit nervous.

Even though Deep Creek is freshwater, when it is running down on the beach it's mixing with all that salt. So when we came home from diggin' I pulled down on the Kasilof River boat ramp as deep as I dared to rinse the front, and then back undercarriage. Then when I got home I just rinsed off the engine compartment with the garden hose. It's always a real good idea to get as much freshwater onto your rig after going down on the beach.

At least now I know I can hit some water pretty good with my CAI and not have to worry about it..........."much"....lol
Old 08-23-2009, 02:06 PM
JK Junkie

I was thinking of renting some clam shovels from a place near Ninilchik when I come down but it'll probably cost the same to buy some, huh? I will definitely have a better idea by the end of this week how my September can play. I want to say the 21st of Sept sounds about right last time I checked the tide book for a really low tide and me and Ang wanted to come down for that weekend. Last time we were down there we camped at a place right off the highway called, Heavenly Charters (almost positive that's the place) Nothing fancy but it'd be a great spot if we could all get together. They do take reservations for the camping which is good and showers are on site too. There are some spots for RVs if you got one Dave.

And I know right where you dropped the Jeep into the Kasilof. I fished there a few weeks back for reds but the run was pretty much over. Pulled one out for dinner and watched a couple of guys on the other bank pull a bunch out (wasn't too happy but it was a relaxing time none the less).

Quick Reply: Alaska BS thread