Notices
Last Frontier If you live in Alaska and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Headed to Kodiak.

Old 05-12-2014, 12:51 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headed to Kodiak.

I got orders to Kodiak. Been in warm weather climates with all of my vehicles. What should I look into getting for the Jeep to be ready for winter? I have been stationed in Dutch Harbor before just never had a vehicle.
Old 05-12-2014, 12:57 PM
JK Newbie

Make sure you have antifreeze in your radiator, put some cold weather windshield washer fluid and I would install a block heater.
Old 05-12-2014, 01:03 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks, I could probably install the heater here (cheaper to get the parts) and change out the fluids once I arrive. What about for the wife's ride 2012 VW Passat. how do FWD cars do up there? Obviously need some Snow tires or chains.
Old 05-12-2014, 01:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by USCG G8R
Thanks, I could probably install the heater here (cheaper to get the parts) and change out the fluids once I arrive. What about for the wife's ride 2012 VW Passat. how do FWD cars do up there? Obviously need some Snow tires or chains.
The passat should be fine, most german vehicles are designed for cold weather conditions. As far as it being front wheel drive, that's great for the slick conditions (better than rear wheel) that's my opinion anyway. I was enlisted and lived in various cold weather states. Sent from somewhere I really shouldn't be!
Old 05-29-2014, 01:39 PM
JK Newbie

I got orders to Kodiak. Been in warm weather climates with all of my vehicles. What should I look into getting for the Jeep to be ready for winter? I have been stationed in Dutch Harbor before just never had a vehicle.
I live here. You don't need a block heater. You here yet?
Old 05-31-2014, 06:08 AM
JK Newbie

No I am not yet. Still enjoying the heat in Florida. Should be up there sometime in Aug. Do you know if SiriusXM works there?
Old 05-31-2014, 08:18 AM
JK Newbie

No I am not yet. Still enjoying the heat in Florida. Should be up there sometime in Aug. Do you know if SiriusXM works there?
No. It may work in some spots but not very good.
Old 05-31-2014, 02:55 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks may try and get a trial subscription for the drive up through the lower 48.
Old 05-31-2014, 03:07 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks may try and get a trial subscription for the drive up through the lower 48.
The drive is nice. The Alcan is beautiful that time of year. When you get to the end of the Alcan, you will arrive in a town called Delta Junction. I use to live there. It's home to Ft. Greeley which is a US Army missile defense base. Bring a camera, some cash and some extra fuel with you just in case.

Quick Reply: Headed to Kodiak.