Notices
Central Canada If you live in the Ontario or Quebec area of Canada and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

U-joint replacement

Old 06-14-2015, 03:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default U-joint replacement

Hey jeepers long time no see. I've got the drivers side u-joint needing to be replaced along with both ball joints. Is it a job that even little ol' me can do?
I'm not so sure about ball joints because I don't have a press. But does anyone know about attempting the u-joint, maybe I can save some money doing it alone.

Thx for your time and look forward to wheeling asap!
Old 06-14-2015, 09:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Learning to do u-joints is a great way to get to know the front end. I learned how to do my own, first with the hammer and socket method and later I bought a c-clamp type ball joint and u-joint press. You will need to know how to remove the calipers, rotor and then disconnect the hubs and pull the axle. Sounds like a lot but the knowledge you gain will be super valuable, especially if you ever need to fix any of those parts on the trail.

I am going to be tackling the ball joints also. New Synergy ball joints already delivered! That will be a first for me also.

Good luck!
Old 06-15-2015, 02:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

I've done the lift kit myself so I'm pretty confidant it can be done. So a ball joint press and a few hours of studying is all that's needed, nice lol. I'll do some research and see what princess auto's got, I'm sure there's how to's all over the net.

Thanks
Old 06-15-2015, 03:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the u-joints I find using a large c clamp and two sockets makes it a easy day. Better then beating the heck outa it with a hammer
Old 06-15-2015, 08:42 AM
JK Freak

Tires come off, the it's two bolts to take the calipers off, pull the rotors off, I believe it's just 3 small bolts for the bearing to come out, it's one nut for the hub (32mm if I remember correctly) . After that, the shafts will pull straight out. I used a press and some sockets to change the U-joints, it took about 15 minutes. The ball joints were a little more of a project that I had expected on my first try. It starts the same way as the U-joints. I used the loaner press from AutoZone and had a heck of a time. I also made the mistake of putting cheapo Duralast ball joints back in. So I had a long nights worth of work only to last me a couple of months before I needed to change them again. Before I switched to 1 tons, I chose Synergy joints my second time around and they were still going strong after 20,000 miles on 37's. If you can put on a lift kit, you can swap BJs and U-joints.
Old 06-15-2015, 12:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Check your local auto parts store for a loaner press. The big stores near me will 'loan' specialty tools buy taking a full price deposit and giving you 30 days to return it.
Old 06-15-2015, 01:00 PM
JK Junkie

I used a hammer a bench vice and socket just big enough to fit through the hole. Search YouTube for some how to videos.
Old 06-19-2015, 03:21 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by KidWrangler
I've done the lift kit myself so I'm pretty confidant it can be done. So a ball joint press and a few hours of studying is all that's needed, nice lol. I'll do some research and see what princess auto's got, I'm sure there's how to's all over the net.

Thanks
Have you checked how much a local shop would want to replace the u-joints for you? May be worth it, less aggravation. Not sure what your mechanical capabilities are, it might end up being one of those jobs you wish you didn't get into.
Old 06-19-2015, 04:55 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by KidWrangler
Hey jeepers long time no see. I've got the drivers side u-joint needing to be replaced along with both ball joints. Is it a job that even little ol' me can do? I'm not so sure about ball joints because I don't have a press. But does anyone know about attempting the u-joint, maybe I can save some money doing it alone. Thx for your time and look forward to wheeling asap!
I have not done either yet on this Jeep, Google the topic if you have not done so already as there's lots of good you tube videos on how to.

On other rigs I've worked on I can tell you a good supply of PB blaster goes along way.

Good luck to a fellow S. Ontario Jeeper

Quick Reply: U-joint replacement