Notices
Central Canada If you live in the Ontario or Quebec area of Canada and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

WARNING: DO NOT insure your rig with RBC

Old 06-10-2016, 08:06 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WARNING: DO NOT insure your rig with RBC

I am a former employee of Royal Bank and had my home and auto insurance through them to take advantage of employee discounts. When I went to add a vehicle to my coverage this week I was told that they required an appraisal of the value of my upgrades to my existing car and the appraisal had to come from a Jeep Dealer.

When I finally found a dealer who was willing to give me an appraisal on my aftermarket upgrades that are 8 years old I submitted it to my insurance company who proceeded to tell me "we don't have a product for modified vehicles". They gave me a few weeks to find new insurance as they are cancelling my current policy and informed me that had I made a claim in the last 5 years I was insured through them it likely would have been denied.

If I wasn't covered for the last 5 years I think I should get those premiums back but they obviously aren't going to do that.

RBC Insurance told me outright that they will not cover anything but a completely stock vehicle and will deny claims made by someone with a modified vehicle and cancel their policy due to misrepresentation.

WHAT A JOKE!!
Old 08-20-2016, 11:12 PM
JK Newbie

Default So who are you with now?

I JUST BOUGHT AN 08 JKU SAHARA WITH 298000 KMS.I JUST ADDED NEW WHEELS,TIRES,BUMPERS,GRILL,HOOD,DOORS,AND FENDERS. I HAVE A FUNNY FEELING I HAD BETTER START TO PRACTICE SITTING ON EGG PLANTS WITH PLENTY OF VASELINE!!
Old 08-21-2016, 07:18 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

If you actually read the policies most insurance companies will not cover a vehicle that has suspension modifications done to it.
Old 08-21-2016, 08:05 AM
JK Newbie

Where did you come up with that one? I've been writing insurance for cars for over 40 years including the built JKUR in my garage. I have hundreds of modified vehicles in my book of business.
Old 08-21-2016, 08:36 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

What company do you sell for? I may switch over.
Old 08-21-2016, 09:26 AM
JK Newbie

State Farm
Old 08-21-2016, 09:40 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

It may be state to state differences in policies but I have seen State Farm policies with clauses that will trigger cancelation of policy if suspension or performance modification are made, something about converting the vehicle into a race car.. Progressive is another company that may cancel or not insure modified vehicles and specifically ask about suspensions. I would say this is a rather recent change in the auto insurance industry.
Old 08-21-2016, 06:19 PM
JK Newbie

What state(s) are you referring to with SF? Do you have any contract language to share?
Old 08-21-2016, 06:58 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm in Canada but I've read several times out here that State Farm was great at accepting and insuring modded jeeps.... Looking to change my company up here in Ontario Canada but not sure if the State Farm ones here operate the same way... I'm hoping
Old 08-21-2016, 06:59 PM
JK Freak

I have State Farm and was told modifications were covered as well provided I faxed them receipts.

Quick Reply: WARNING: DO NOT insure your rig with RBC