Notices
Central Canada If you live in the Ontario or Quebec area of Canada and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

WARNING: DO NOT insure your rig with RBC

Old 08-22-2016, 03:34 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not that I doubt Dirtman, but not many folks sit around reading exclusions in auto insurance policies. State Farm in CA has no problems with modified Jeeps. I've been a SF agent for more than 40 years. If your rig gets stolen you'll need to show what you had regarding upgrades, but just because you've put X into it doesn't mean you'll get that back at claim time. Companies settle claims based in what your rig would have sold for based in comparable sales in the area. You won't get paid for tools etc that aren't a part of the vehicle.
Old 08-23-2016, 06:32 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by davescott
Not that I doubt Dirtman, but not many folks sit around reading exclusions in auto insurance policies. State Farm in CA has no problems with modified Jeeps. I've been a SF agent for more than 40 years. If your rig gets stolen you'll need to show what you had regarding upgrades, but just because you've put X into it doesn't mean you'll get that back at claim time. Companies settle claims based in what your rig would have sold for based in comparable sales in the area. You won't get paid for tools etc that aren't a part of the vehicle.
Tools as in say onboard air and a winch and such? Ive never fully looked into all this but probably should. I did ask my agent if that stuff was covered and i had to give him a dollar amount i put into it and he adjusted my premium to insure such if i recall.
Old 08-23-2016, 07:00 AM
JK Newbie

On board air and winch are considered part of the vehicle as they are permanently installed. A bag of tools wouldn't be covered.
Old 08-23-2016, 09:08 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by davescott
On board air and winch are considered part of the vehicle as they are permanently installed. A bag of tools wouldn't be covered.
Ok gotcha that makes sense.
Old 08-23-2016, 02:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

This is very interesting. I have kept all the receipts for my 2 JK builds that have done. The first JK was his twice by two cars that were state farm and they did pay for whatever was damaged here in NM.

I wander how these insurance companies handle JK's sold new from the dealership with lifts and big tires all ready install by them?
Old 08-23-2016, 02:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

I use Hanover insurance. A couple years ago I called and insured my rig for a cash value. I sent them a list of mods and costs involved, and then we set a specific cash value. The whole process was painless.

Quick Reply: WARNING: DO NOT insure your rig with RBC