Notices
European Countries If you live in Europe and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Recommend a replacement tyre please

Old 11-25-2014, 01:37 AM
DDB
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Recommend a replacement tyre please

Hi all, first post here, got a 2011 3 door sport CRD, one if not the last Wrangler to be shipped into the UK with the manual gearbox, registered 28/12/2011.

Just about to replace the stock tyres and I'm thinking the BFGoodrich AT KOs but their wet rating doesn't appear to be too good and I live up near Inverness and require a tyre for all season use and off road (but not extreme off-road) and winter driving (snow). Any suggestions?

I'm aware to that there is a new BF AT KO2 out in USA but here yet but I dont htink my tyres are going to last that long until those new tyres start to arrive over here.
Old 11-26-2014, 02:07 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the Nitto Terra Grapplers.

I have had them on two JKs and my 2011 Ram.

I love these tires for their wet weather manners, their long tread life, quietness and price.

I don't wheel hard so I can't comment on that but obviously I like them to have bought them the last 3 times I needed tires.

Discount Tire Direct is where I go.
They have extra discounts for forum members and their replacemt warranty is hard to beat.

Good luck !'
Old 11-26-2014, 02:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just went with Goodyear Duratracs. Really like them. Great all terrain tire. Balance of aggressive tread and pretty low road noise. Seem to wear well from everything I have read
Old 11-27-2014, 12:01 AM
DDB
JK Newbie

Thumbs up

Cheers guys, i'll have a look around for them
Old 12-01-2014, 03:24 PM
RLT
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DDB
Cheers guys, i'll have a look around for them
Any tyres you get have to be E rated for the EU magisterium
Unfortunately last time I looked the Nittos are not
Goodyear Duratracs are but when I purchased my 315/70/17's 1 1/2 years ago there was little choice in other sizes
EU regulations are your bug bear and will remain so until the day we can escape their tyranny
Can import tyres from the states but its expensive and tyre shops are reluctant to fit non E rated tyres due to liability
Old 12-01-2014, 03:31 PM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Not 100% sure on the "E" rating, but a quick search indicates it's close to the same as a 10-ply rating. From personal experience running several kinds of tires, I would recommend the Interco SS-M16. Might be a little more expensive but very good tire. Great on and off the road, aggressive looking, and super quiet for the tread pattern/look. They also make several sizes in the 10-ply.

Sam
Old 12-01-2014, 03:39 PM
RLT
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JacKed 8
Not 100% sure on the "E" rating, but a quick search indicates it's close to the same as a 10-ply rating. From personal experience running several kinds of tires, I would recommend the Interco SS-M16. Might be a little more expensive but very good tire. Great on and off the road, aggressive looking, and super quiet for the tread pattern/look. They also make several sizes in the 10-ply.

Sam
By E rating I mean it has to be tested for the bullpoop European Union regulations before being allowed on the roads before it gets the E stamp on the tyre, nothing to do with tyres specs
Old 12-01-2014, 03:41 PM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Learn something new every day. Well I can see how you would be more limited on tire choices. Hopefully you find something you can enjoy.

Sam
Old 12-02-2014, 03:41 AM
RLT
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JacKed 8
Learn something new every day. Well I can see how you would be more limited on tire choices. Hopefully you find something you can enjoy.

Sam
I got my 'E' rated 315/70/17 Duratracs March 2013 and well pleased It was the original poster DDB that was the enquiry on tyres
It would be nice to have the Tyre choices you guys in the states have, but there's not many Wranglers on the roads over here (which is nice if you own one)
The European Union do there best to tax 4x4's off the roads with the fraudulent C02 taxes which they still tell us is warming the planet which when you check the data its not
Unfortunately The Green Blob has infiltrated all western Govts
Obama & your EPA must look enviously at the taxes the EU members are reaping in the name of what they now call Climate Change instead of Global Warming
The Biggest deception of the 20th/21st century

Steps off soap box
Old 12-02-2014, 05:54 AM
DDB
JK Newbie

Hassle! I ended up with the BFGoodrich AT KOs, sodden difficult to get owt up here and not much choice to boot.

Now, a decent roof rack and some decent driving lights are in order but from where.....

Quick Reply: Recommend a replacement tyre please