Notices
Aloha State If you live in the Hawaiian Islands and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

How to get rid of hard water spots

Old 12-28-2013, 10:23 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How to get rid of hard water spots

Anyone have any ideas on how to get rid of hard water spots on the body of your vehicle. I have tried bug and tar remover,
Old 12-28-2013, 10:24 PM
JK Super Freak

Big dumb thumb pressed send by accident. I also tried other things but nothing seams to work. I really don't want to get it acid washed so if you have ideas I will try it. Thanks in advanced.
Old 12-29-2013, 03:24 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Vinegar worked for me
Old 12-29-2013, 03:45 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I was at Advance Auto the other day looking for something to clean the plastic windows (didn't find anything) and during my meandering I remember seeing something specifically for getting rid of water spots. I'm not sure if it included hard water spots, but it's worth a look. Good luck.
Old 12-29-2013, 05:07 AM
JK Jedi

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I use "NU-FINISH" Scratch doctor. Works like a charm on water spots too. It's in a plain orange bottle and should be found at any auto parts store.

Sent from my obama monitoring device
Old 12-29-2013, 05:52 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think Mother's has a water spot formula somewhere but I was able to clean up mine (on a 2000 Wrangler, black, with 200k miles....in 2010) with a good wash, scratch/ swirl remover, clay bar, clay bar, wax.

The guy before me would just rinse it and let the water sit there and bake on the paint.
Old 12-29-2013, 06:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Depends on how bad and how old they are.

On a waxed vehicle with minor, young water spots, clay bar will often be all you need to do.

On an unwaxed vehicle with fresh or minor water spots, Vinegar can work.

If the vinegar doesn't work, you can try a part store swirl/spot remover.

The worse they are, the more aggressive you may need to be. I've encountered some so bad and so old I had to sand and buff them out. If the above three options don't work, you may just want to contact a reputable Detailer, unless you know your way around a rotary buffer.

I HIGHLY recommend microfiber towels on paint. You can get a whole bundle of them at Costco for like $10 and they'll last close to forever. I've had the same Costco towels in my shop for three years, I just take them home and wash them. I recently bought more because I occasionally just lose them.

For Waterspots on class, either 00 or 000 steel wool will make quick work of it. Don't steel wool aftermarket film tint, or the inside of a Lexus with the factory "gold" tint.

Be gentle with plastic or poly windows, once you "fog" them, they're pretty much ruined.

The best defense for water spots is to keep you car waxed with a synthetic wax. (Carnuba is OK, it just doesn't last long, about 4-6 weeks vs 3-4 months for synthetic) Also, obviously try not to let water dry on your car, especially city water from sprinklers. City water tends to be hard, and will spot worse than rain water.

Semper Fi
Old 12-29-2013, 06:54 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 7kings
I was at Advance Auto the other day looking for something to clean the plastic windows (didn't find anything) and during my meandering I remember seeing something specifically for getting rid of water spots. I'm not sure if it included hard water spots, but it's worth a look. Good luck.
Might have been 'Nothin's Better' water spot remover. I use this, most local auto parts stores seem to carry it. Small white jar with a red label. By far the most effective stuff I've used so far.
Old 12-29-2013, 09:02 AM
JK Super Freak

Thanks everyone, I'm going to try some more of your ideas. I will post later with the results. Thanks again and Semper Fi!!!

Quick Reply: How to get rid of hard water spots