Notices
Aloha State If you live in the Hawaiian Islands and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Military Jeepers on OAHU??

Old 02-11-2012, 10:51 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I called the permit office and they told me you can get a free day pass to go up to peacock flats and the trails up there but you have to go downtown to the office in punchbowl to get it. For me, it's easier just to go online and pay for an overnight camping/parking pass since I live about 15 min from the satellite tracking station entrance up by Yokohama.. It costs about a half tank of gas to drive downtown and back to get a free permit.
Old 02-11-2012, 11:28 AM
JK Newbie

There were also time limits for visiting up there. We would get passes good for two weeks or so, but had to wait four weeks to return. These were for both driving and camping. Kaena Point was always nice. I would get off work early and pick up dinner at Schofield barracks, then drive out to let the kids run around, eat and watch the sunset.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

You can get back to back permits as long as they're not for camping. If you get a camping permit you have to wait 30 days between passes.
Old 02-12-2012, 02:33 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by SARA
There were also time limits for visiting up there. We would get passes good for two weeks or so, but had to wait four weeks to return. These were for both driving and camping. Kaena Point was always nice. I would get off work early and pick up dinner at Schofield barracks, then drive out to let the kids run around, eat and watch the sunset.
It is nice out there, I live about 20 min from the point but on the south side. We went riding up to the north shore and wandered out to kaena point from the north side. Too bad you really can't get your jeep on to the beach. There's a spot down here by the power plant that you can park on the sand.... Kinda crowded now that the surfers are enjoying the big waves....
Old 02-13-2012, 04:51 PM
JK Newbie

hit me up im down for some clay!!
Old 02-29-2012, 04:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

So I just bought my 2nd Jeep, and I'm looking to play around... I'm getting my tires and wheels this weekend so I'm down. I stay in AMR, just PM me when yal plan on going out... I hear they do group passes for the flats, is this true???
Old 02-29-2012, 07:18 AM
JK Newbie

They do group passes for Peacock flats, however you need to go downtown to the office on Punchbowl to get it. Last time called, you can out up to 20 vehicles on a pass but you need the licence plate number. Is easier and cheaper for me to go online and pay the $18 for an overnight camping permit. I live about 10 min away from the Kaena point entrance to the trail and driving all the way into town and back costs me more than $20...
Old 03-20-2012, 02:52 PM
JK Newbie

You don't need to drive down to the office!!! If you print out the form for hiking and fax it in they will send you a pass in the mail 2 to 3 days later for free. And you can get it for 2 weeks.
Old 03-20-2012, 03:37 PM
JK Newbie

I'm taking the family camping up there this weekend. Weather is supposed to be nice so i figured i might as well take a chance...
Old 03-21-2012, 07:38 PM
JK Newbie

I have a 2007 JK. Would love to go ride. Also have two buddies with Cherokees that like to ride. What is the website to get the permit form from? Shoot me an email phillipsbrandon2003@yahoo.com

Quick Reply: Military Jeepers on OAHU??