Notices
JK Trails & Tales Just get back from a recent trail run and/or camping trip with your Jeep JK Wrangler? If so, you know we want to hear all about where you went, who all came along and of course, see all the pics you can post.

Moab Help/Advice/Opinions Please.....

Old 07-21-2018, 08:03 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,818 Likes on 1,588 Posts

Thanks for the comments Dirtman and Chiapeteater. I'm really looking forward to this trip, even though it's turning out to be a bit different than originally planned.

Anyone and everyone else....happy to hear any commentary at all. Is there any cell reception out on those trails, or are you pretty much in no-man's land once out of town?
Old 07-21-2018, 08:43 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

You pretty much have cell phone coverage on the trails. Most are very close to the town. It may drop in some of the deep canyons but overall I did not have an issue with coverage with AT&T. You may also want to check out Arches National park since it is right there. Running trails at Moab is nice since the town is right in the center of everything. Much different then running the Rubicon and so much bigger.
Old 07-21-2018, 10:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
Thanks for the comments Dirtman and Chiapeteater. I'm really looking forward to this trip, even though it's turning out to be a bit different than originally planned.

Anyone and everyone else....happy to hear any commentary at all. Is there any cell reception out on those trails, or are you pretty much in no-man's land once out of town?
The last time I was in Canyonlands Needles district was August of 16 and neither my girlfriend or I could get any cell reception at all. What we did when we were camping at the Squaw Flats campground in the park was go to the ranger station and stand outside the door to get a wireless internet signal. I needed to update my Polaris startracker app on my phone each evening so I could get my star tracker for my camera aligned correctly.

If you are at all into photography and long exposure night sky/star/milkyway photos, it just does not get better than Canyonlands. I think they are a Platinum Night Sky sanctuary according to the Dark Sky Society. Arches is really good for night photos also. Arches web site will say the park is closed at night but they do have a campground and the gates are open so those folks can get in and out. A photo of Delicate Arch with the Milkyway beyond it is an awesome picture, Just one more thing to think about.

And Utah does have strict alcohol laws. I watched a waiter from McStiff's run out to the parking lot one afternoon to tell an out of state person to cover up a keg in the back of their car. If the police had seen it they would have been pulled over since it is (or was[according to the waiter]) illegal to transport alcohol on Sundays. According to him the state motto is: Come to Utah on vacation, leave on probation. I've heard the laws have been loosened up some, but I don't know for sure since I don't drink anyways.
Old 07-21-2018, 01:41 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

alcohol laws have mellowed from the early 80's when I started going. I actually like the low alcohol in the beer at the brewery as I like beer but I don't like to get drunk. the beer they sell on tap inside the moab brewery is just 4% across the board. Some of the canned stuff is higher but they sell that to go. Their over the top wit is exceptional. The Oar house serves beer in like 24Oz frozen mugs mmmm and they get some local brews on tap. There is a steak house up high cant think of the name of it but it is well advertised and visible when heading into town that serves excellent food or at least the 2X we have eaten there.
Old 07-21-2018, 02:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jadmt
There is a steak house up high cant think of the name of it but it is well advertised and visible when heading into town that serves excellent food or at least the 2X we have eaten there.
Are you talking about the Sunset Grill? We tried to go there one night and could't find a spot to park my truck.
Old 07-21-2018, 02:36 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by chiapeteater
Are you talking about the Sunset Grill? We tried to go there one night and could't find a spot to park my truck.
yes that is the one. And it is aptly named as the sunset from there is worth the price of the filet mignon
Old 07-22-2018, 11:52 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Thanks guys! Unfortunately, I think I'm gonna be eating on the cheap and pinching pennies while there since the trip is going to cost me 3X what originally was planned. Likely getting groceries and cooking at the house. Kinda sux, but making the best of the situation. Nice to know the arches, although technically closed at night, are still accessible. My daughter is really good about waking up at early hours, or doing things late at night to help avoid extreme temps. Maybe we just need to take a day and do something more touristy like that anyhow. 4 full days of solo wheelin' might get old anyhow.
Old 07-22-2018, 12:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by resharp001
Thanks guys! Unfortunately, I think I'm gonna be eating on the cheap and pinching pennies while there since the trip is going to cost me 3X what originally was planned. Likely getting groceries and cooking at the house. Kinda sux, but making the best of the situation. Nice to know the arches, although technically closed at night, are still accessible. My daughter is really good about waking up at early hours, or doing things late at night to help avoid extreme temps. Maybe we just need to take a day and do something more touristy like that anyhow. 4 full days of solo wheelin' might get old anyhow.
Since you are going to be there in the heat of August, there are a lot of trails that go through the LaSal mountains. We went up there when it was 100 in Moab and there was still snow in a few patches. The trails are pretty easy, nothing technical other than a few tight squeezes if you have to pass someone coming the other way. It really is a nice cool break from the heat. Also looking down from the alpine climate into the heat and red rocks of the desert is a real visual treat. Just watch out for the random free range cheeseburger.
Old 07-25-2018, 04:50 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Ok, I've watched so many vids my head gonna explode. My tentative plans look like this:

Sunday afternoon zip out to Top of the World
Monday - Fins and Things + Hells Revenge + Strike Ravine (or possibly something else)
Tuesday - Poison Spyder Mesa + Golden Spike + Gold Bar
Wednesday - Moab Rim and figure the afternoon out based on how everything else has gone
Thursday - Chicken Corners for scenery + Kane's Creek and maybe something in the afternoon if time permits
Friday, heading out towards Texas, via Telluride and Imogene Pass (as I got robbed in 2015 when in Ouray week before Black Bear and Imogene were open).

I've watched so many videos. Jadmt, I know you've cautioned against Golden Spike both in time and going solo, but I do feel comfortable with being the only rig if that is how it works out. My question is this.......is the loop on Poison Spyder worth doing, or should I not burn that time and get right on to Golden Spike? If it's worthwhile and scenic, I'll take the time to do it. If it's just kinda rocking/rollin' round without much payoff, I'll conserve the time "just in case" for what lies ahead of me.

My wife is not in to this junk AT ALL, and getting a week of "me" time like this is not easy to come by. I have no clue when/if I'll be able to make the trek to Moab again, and squeezing that trio of PS, GS, and GBR in the mix is on my bucket list. I really wanted to see the Confluence, but it's amazing when you start laying things out how quickly 4.5 days can get eaten up. It's very hard to determine what my real times will look like compared to the guide books, what others are saying, and how long I hear people on videos say it took with X rigs, blah blah blah. So, keeping plans flexible and will just roll with the punches.

Trying to leave a little time to run to see the arches.....hopefully at night like chiapeteater suggests. Any gift shops better than the others, or kinda all the same? Also, I need to dig in to it. Anyone know if NM or UT accept out of state driver's permits? Wondering if my 15yo daughter can spend time behind the wheel on the pavement (she gets to drive some while wheelin anyhow, not as worried about that). I'll get around to looking that up, just thought I'd ask in case someone knows for sure.

Thanks again.
Old 07-25-2018, 08:07 PM
JK Jedi

I would really start early. We have done GS and GB 2x at the same time and it is long. Not sure I would do the loop but it is a worth it so I guess if you prepare to spend 16 hours on the trail which is a long day for me you could do it actually might be ideal to camp on the trail then it would be no big deal. as far as shops they are all the same.

Quick Reply: Moab Help/Advice/Opinions Please.....