Notices
JK Trails & Tales Just get back from a recent trail run and/or camping trip with your Jeep JK Wrangler? If so, you know we want to hear all about where you went, who all came along and of course, see all the pics you can post.

My Great American Summer Road Trip Adventure

Old 06-09-2018, 06:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well we made it to Des Moines, IA!! Jeep ran good. Used just a little bit of oil, but it does that on a regular basis back home too. Really sucks the gas but oh well, I look good doing it!!

We are headed to Denver tomorrow!!
Old 06-10-2018, 05:00 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by bman
Well we made it to Des Moines, IA!! Jeep ran good. Used just a little bit of oil, but it does that on a regular basis back home too. Really sucks the gas but oh well, I look good doing it!!

We are headed to Denver tomorrow!!
Mine uses anywhere from 1/2 quart to 3/4 every 1,000 miles. It's been doing that for the last 80k miles, although from October to probably April, it stopped using it. Now it has started up again. Weird. Anyway, it runs as good as new and has never had any other issue, so I just keep feeding it oil. I'tll be going back to Moab in October. I'm not worried at all about it.

I'm looking forward to reading your updates and seeing pics! What a blast you must be having!
Old 06-10-2018, 08:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by spinuck
Going to Reno, thinking about doing Rubicon?
No I am not prepared to do Rubicon, I don't think you can do Rubicon in one day and we don't have any camping gear. We are just staying in hotels where ever the road leads us.
Old 06-10-2018, 08:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dmwil
Mine uses anywhere from 1/2 quart to 3/4 every 1,000 miles. It's been doing that for the last 80k miles, although from October to probably April, it stopped using it. Now it has started up again. Weird. Anyway, it runs as good as new and has never had any other issue, so I just keep feeding it oil. I'tll be going back to Moab in October. I'm not worried at all about it.

I'm looking forward to reading your updates and seeing pics! What a blast you must be having!
Yep that seems to be right about where I'm at, I check it and keep it pretty full and hope for the best.
Old 06-10-2018, 08:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

So today was pretty good as well. We made it to Denver tonight but it took us a little longer to get here than I thought it would. It was pretty darn hot in Nebraska today, I mean my outside temp reading was 97-98 F. The jeep ran cool so that was good. What I did notice was that when I got off the expressway and stopped at the end of the exit ramp and then went to proceed again it would kind of shutter a little bit, hard to explain, kind of like even though the clutch was fully disengaged it seemed as though it would slip a little, I just thought it was because everything was so hot. It ran and shifted good, I even downshifted to 5th on a couple grades and everything was good so I'm pretty sure it's not the clutch going.

What bothered me the most was when I pulled into the hotel, I parked it and didn't notice anything. Then about 15 min later after checking in I when to move it to another parking spot and noticed a distinct ticking sound from underneath, it kinda seemed like more trans than engine but I turned it off and I had to get the luggage out. I promised the kids I'd go swimming with them and the jeep can wait until the morning. I have to drive though the Rockies tomorrow and I really hope it makes it. Maybe this sound will go away.
Old 06-11-2018, 01:19 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

I hate when my Jeep starts to make strange noises. Hope whatever you heard magically takes care of itself.
Old 06-11-2018, 04:42 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

I sure hope it's nothing. Do you have a transmission cooler on your rig? (besides the factory one at the bottom of the radiator)
Old 06-11-2018, 10:24 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by bman
... kind of like even though the clutch was fully disengaged ....
Originally Posted by jedg
... Do you have a transmission cooler on your rig? (besides the factory one at the bottom of the radiator) ...
I'm guessing probably not. ;-)
Old 06-11-2018, 10:30 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
I'm guessing probably not. ;-)
Well, crap. I totally misread his post. In my head I saw him saying putting it in park so my head took me to it being an automatic. geesh.. I need to read better.
Old 06-11-2018, 08:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well I have no idea what that sound was and I don't care because in the morning it was gone. I put her to the test climbing the Rockies and she ran great. Boy climbing that last stretch right before the Eisenhower tunnel was kinda intense. I hit some traffic right before and had to slow down which really sucked because I lost what little momentum I had. I just had to muscle my way up in 3rd at about 4,000 rpm at the top but It ran cool all the way to Moab even in mid 90's.

One complaint I have is how low it idles, about 600-650 rpm. In this heat when the AC is on at a stoplight is seems to almost stumble a little and it shudders the entire car. I have my super chips programmer with me and I just changed the idle to 800 rpm to see if that's any better.

Moab is pretty awesome, in fact it's spectacular!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo918.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	948.3 KB
ID:	677048  

Quick Reply: My Great American Summer Road Trip Adventure