Notices
JK Trails & Tales Just get back from a recent trail run and/or camping trip with your Jeep JK Wrangler? If so, you know we want to hear all about where you went, who all came along and of course, see all the pics you can post.

Trip to Ouray, CO, Aug 2018

Old 08-22-2018, 05:00 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trip to Ouray, CO, Aug 2018

My wife and I took our stock 2012 Jeep Wrangler to Ouray, Colorado this summer and ran the trails. We were out there for 6 days so we ran as many of the trails as we could fit into the time we were out there. We ran the following trails, Yankee Boy (as far as you can go), Governor Basin, South Mineral Creek trail and up to Clear Lake, Brown Gulch (sometimes known as Mystique Mountain), Engineer Pass via Mineral Creek, Picanye/Placer Gulch, California Pass, Hurricane Pass, Corkscrew, Imogene Pass, Ophir Pass, and lastly Black Bear Pass. The Jeep performed fantastic and only bottomed out once on Black Bear on one of the rock drops before what most call the steps. Stock Bridgestone tires worked fine but I was careful to pick good tire placement to minimize side rubs. The tread is a little beat up and probably took off a few mile from the wear and tear. I didn't back down from doing all the harder cuts on the trails and it was just plain FUN. I wasn't going to run Black Bear alone but we came across some of the nicest people in a couple of Jeeps! Two couples asked us to come with them and so it worked out great. Now I'm thinking if I keep this Jeep (and not trade for an Unlimited) I'll look into putting a 2.5" lift and some slightly bigger tires. We've been out there many times but never in a Wrangler and now I am super impressed with these vehicles and this is the first time on Black Bear in all these years. Hope you enjoy the pics attached.

Yes, we always take a pic here on Yankee Boy

One of the climbs on back side of Governor basin

Top of Black Bear...Yes we are the little one in the middle. (But it performed Great!)

Yep...Telluride is somewhere down there in the smokey haze on Black Bear

Top of Imogene

Last trek up Engineer to Odom Point lookout

View from Engineer Pass, Odom Point lookout
Old 08-22-2018, 05:48 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Great pics! Glad this was just one of many trips you've had out there.....that haze was indeed bad. I just hopped over Imogene on the way home from Moab. Sure do love the Ouray area. One day I'm gonna drag spousal unit there after convincing her it's not the kind of wheelin' she thinks it is (she's not a fan of jeeping in general). You had a busy schedule!
Old 08-22-2018, 06:23 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Resharp001,
My wife loves it out there and she has even driven some of the trails so...I got her out there when we were first married some 30 years ago and it is our favorite place to vacation. Since getting the Jeep I can't get her out of it now and she likes doing the trails with it a lot better than when we did them on 4-wheelers or in the other vehicles we have had. Also,the smoke was terrible. Usually clear deep blue skies and you can see forever. A couple of days you could even faintly smell it. Hopefully, the rains are putting them out. We had the usual late afternoon rains on a few of the days but we could get the trails in before the rain so it worked out.

Quick Reply: Trip to Ouray, CO, Aug 2018