Notices
Armed Forces If you are serving our country by being a member of the Armed Forces and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members serving with you, this is the forum for you.

What I Like About The Air Force

Old 07-01-2012, 03:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What I Like About The Air Force

I'm seriously thinking about joining the AirForce. I did a thread on why not to and nothing was bad except traveling for long periods.
So I'd like to know why you like the Air Force. Pay, friends, experiences...
Old 07-01-2012, 04:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

It really depends on what career field you are considering. Are you looking to go active duty or reserve? Officer or enlisted? I retired after 20 years active duty and have been working for the Air Force as a civilian employee for the last 13 years. There are many opportunities for training, education, travel, learn new languages, skills, and meet folks you will stay in touch with for years after you move on to new assignments. You'll see places you've never seen before and some you hope to never see again, but they are all an adventure that will reward you for years to come! Good luck with what ever you decide, but I doubt you'd regret the experience!
Old 07-03-2012, 10:18 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ptarnuzzer
It really depends on what career field you are considering. Are you looking to go active duty or reserve? Officer or enlisted? I retired after 20 years active duty and have been working for the Air Force as a civilian employee for the last 13 years. There are many opportunities for training, education, travel, learn new languages, skills, and meet folks you will stay in touch with for years after you move on to new assignments. You'll see places you've never seen before and some you hope to never see again, but they are all an adventure that will reward you for years to come! Good luck with what ever you decide, but I doubt you'd regret the experience!
well put and very true!
Old 07-03-2012, 06:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ptarnuzzer
Thanks! I'm trying to be a physical therapist. (i have a batchelors degree in marketing) If I don't get in my first try then I'll go to the AF to do something in the medical field so I can have those skills when I get out. I'm going to try to retire from there as well.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:35 PM
JK Newbie

True to all of the above. I just retired with 20+ years and it was the best decision I made when I was young. I spent my whole carreer in Comm and Cyber jobs but did enough of a variety that it wasn't boring (most of the time) and I got hired right away as a civilian. There's a few basics to consider that I have shared many times with many 'kids' trying to make the decision, not that you're a kid, but you know what I mean.

- The AF has the best standard of living, period. Always has and always will. I spent half my time on Army and Navy posts and we had the best everything by far.
- If you are willing to dedicate yourself to it 100% then it's a win/win deal. What other job will give you housing, clothing, training, allowances for everything, and a hundred other little things.....oh, AND pay you for it.
- You say you want to retire, so go to basic (or OTS) with that mindset. I went to basic knowing I wanted to do 20 and that pre-made lots of decisions for me. Make decisions with your carreer in mind and don't pass up opportiunities.
- Learn as much as you can about every job you do. And remember, you will learn a lot from lousy supervisors too. Trust me, you'll have a few, everybody does. Just try not to be one of them.

There's about a thousand other things we could all tell you but being sure about it and going in with a good attitude is 75% of the battle. There will always be changes in everything, budget cuts, short-manning, and the expectation to do more with less, but it's still better than flipping burgers.

Any medical job is a good choice. You will always have a job on the outside with it. But any job will be what you make it, as with any assignment or base.

Good luck!
Old 07-05-2012, 04:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JKosmos
True to all of the above. I just retired with 20+ years and it was the best decision I made when I was young. I spent my whole carreer in Comm and Cyber jobs but did enough of a variety that it wasn't boring (most of the time) and I got hired right away as a civilian. There's a few basics to consider that I have shared many times with many 'kids' trying to make the decision, not that you're a kid, but you know what I mean.

- The AF has the best standard of living, period. Always has and always will. I spent half my time on Army and Navy posts and we had the best everything by far.
- If you are willing to dedicate yourself to it 100% then it's a win/win deal. What other job will give you housing, clothing, training, allowances for everything, and a hundred other little things.....oh, AND pay you for it.
- You say you want to retire, so go to basic (or OTS) with that mindset. I went to basic knowing I wanted to do 20 and that pre-made lots of decisions for me. Make decisions with your carreer in mind and don't pass up opportiunities.
- Learn as much as you can about every job you do. And remember, you will learn a lot from lousy supervisors too. Trust me, you'll have a few, everybody does. Just try not to be one of them.

There's about a thousand other things we could all tell you but being sure about it and going in with a good attitude is 75% of the battle. There will always be changes in everything, budget cuts, short-manning, and the expectation to do more with less, but it's still better than flipping burgers.

Any medical job is a good choice. You will always have a job on the outside with it. But any job will be what you make it, as with any assignment or base.

Good luck!
Thank you that was actually really helpful. I think I'm going to talk to a recruiter this month.
Old 07-06-2012, 04:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TrainerJuice

Thanks! I'm trying to be a physical therapist. (i have a batchelors degree in marketing) If I don't get in my first try then I'll go to the AF to do something in the medical field so I can have those skills when I get out. I'm going to try to retire from there as well.
Tried to pm you back but your inbox is full.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yep air force and navy pretty much the brainiacs of the armed forces world , youll probably get the best food , best lookin females and the easiest pt , not to mention a shitload o shit to put on a resume , good luck
Old 07-11-2012, 04:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by carolinajk
yep air force and navy pretty much the brainiacs of the armed forces world , youll probably get the best food , best lookin females and the easiest pt , not to mention a shitload o shit to put on a resume , good luck
Thanks! I'm most likely going to join but I just found out it's hard to get in as an officer now and PT school through the AF is extremely competitive. I really want to just get into the medical field now that way when I get back into civilian life I'll be able to work in the medical field, plus be proud and have more friends, and everything else the military makes people attain.
Old 08-05-2012, 12:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TrainerJuice
Thanks! I'm most likely going to join but I just found out it's hard to get in as an officer now and PT school through the AF is extremely competitive. I really want to just get into the medical field now that way when I get back into civilian life I'll be able to work in the medical field, plus be proud and have more friends, and everything else the military makes people attain.

One thing to consider while you're trying to get in, keep your recruiter at arms length. Whether you're trying to enlist or commission. These days, the AF isn't looking to take too many people on board. But persistence is your friend in this matter. I was denied by about 6 different AF recruiters throughout my state while I was trying to join (had an issue on my record that will remain anonymous). But sure enough, with enough effort and unanswered phone calls, I got in. I'm 3 years in, so I'm sure it's not much different now than it was when I went through MEPS and BMT. It's harder getting past your recruiter than it is to make it through BMT. The AF is huge on PT these days, so go in with that mindset, keep yourself healthy and fit, or you'll have one short career. Bottom line, is stick with it. If you get in, you'll have a very laid back job (compared to some of ours). Good luck and let us know what happens!

Quick Reply: What I Like About The Air Force