Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

4WD Hi or Low with Manuel

Old 03-05-2018, 08:57 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4WD Hi or Low with Manuel

I recently found some trails where I live that have several steep hills to climb and go down. I have never really gone off Road Ing where there was steep hills, rather just trails. I typically use four wheel high when I am just cruising along a dirt trail and not really getting into anything crazy. I have only used four wheel low when I am going through some mud or happen to get stuck. When I came up on a steep hill that went through a creek and then up again I found myself approaching the Hill in four wheel high in first gear. I found myself instinctively pushing in the clutch as I slowly creeped down the hill and then when I was at the bottom releasing it and hitting the gas in first gear to ascend the hill on the other side. When I got home I started thinking about my technique and it just felt wrong that I was holding in the clutch for an extended period of time which I already know is not correct. After doing some research it’s clear to me that I should of either gone down in neutral and put the first gear in at the bottom or use for low. Can anyone tell me if they use four wheel high or four wheel low when they are typically off routing. It seems to me like I could’ve approached that same hill in four wheel low in first or second gear gone to the bottom and back up to the top without pressing the clutch at all. Is my assumption on what I should have done correct? Is it better to just be in four low in second or third gear when riding trails? Maybe not so much if I had an automatic but it seems to me that I should not be in for high at all so that I will use the clutch much less. Any information on this would be great. Thanks
Old 03-05-2018, 09:12 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Outside of being on some flat fireroad, you're gonna benefit from being in 4Lo and getting some help from your transfer case.
Old 03-05-2018, 12:03 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

As recently stated in another thread, 4 hi leaves some traction control stuff on which can suck power away in certain circumstances. For those with auto transmissions, using 4hi off-road will make it more likely to overheat. I use 4hi only when driving on snow covered roads. When I'm in the dirt, I use 2wd if it's just fire roads and 4 low for all other cases. My theory is that if 2wd isn't good enough for what you are doing in the dirt, then 4hi is not your answer- 4 low is
Old 03-06-2018, 07:43 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

I only use 4hi if I know I will be exceeding 20mph, Or I'm cruising two-track dirt roads (when I don't really need 4wd) or if I'm just messing around, and really want to sling the mud. For general off-roading I run around in 4lo. If it is something that I feel I will actually need 4wd to get through it, then I go to 4lo. In 4lo you can start in any gear you want, even 6th.
Old 04-02-2018, 07:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Agree with the others - I'm in 4-low quite a bit when off-pavement. Keeps the engine rpm's up a bit, and helps tremendously with controlling downhill speeds with engine braking.

If I'm going to mostly be under 25 mph, I'll likely be in 4-low. If I'm going to be running along at 25 or more, then either 2wd, or 4-high as appropriate.

I've got the 3.6 V6, six-speed manual, 4.10 gears and 33" tires - any and all of which can affect your gear choice & driving style.

Regards, Guy
Old 04-08-2018, 01:30 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any time you descending a hill you should be IN GEAR, and use the engine to help you brake.

You should only need to apply the brake slightly if you need to slow more than the engine can. If you only use your brake to slow down you risk locking up the front wheels and can lose control.

You always want your wheels moving when descending. If your sliding you are not in control. Just like skidding to a stop or locking up your front wheels in an emergency stop on the road. You can't turn if your wheels are locked

Descending in 4low and 1st or 2nd gear.
Old 04-19-2018, 06:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for your example I would be in 4LO 2nd gear down the hill then slowly roll onto the throttle to create momentum and wheel speed for the up hill. 4Hi is for snow and slinging mud in a field; not really for offroading.

Quick Reply: 4WD Hi or Low with Manuel