Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Recommendation for Tire Deflator?

Old 02-14-2015, 07:38 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Recommendation for Tire Deflator?

I'm looking at several options for tire deflators, including the simple brass tire deflator kit that comes in probably 5 or 6 brand names, or a Rugged Ridge deflator/inflator with a nice guage. I'm looking for one that will quickly and accurately get me down to 15 or 20lbs, depending on what I'm doing.

The brass kit looks like it would be very quick. Not sure about accuracy.

It also has to be cost effective. I've seen the brass kit for 20 bucks. I don't like the ARB because it is expensive and it appears, if I'm correct, you have to take the valve stem center out. That's too complicated, and I'd worry about damaging or losing it.

The Teraflex deflators are neat because they screw together into one piece when not using them. They are also only 16 bucks and you can use your tire guage right on them without taking them off to check. Anyone like that one?

Just knocking another item off the list for Moab! I picked up a Viair compressor, so I've got that end covered.

Thanks!

Last edited by dmwil; 02-14-2015 at 07:42 AM.
Old 02-14-2015, 07:47 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check out the Staun tire deflators
Old 02-14-2015, 07:57 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by robsjeep9
Check out the Staun tire deflators
Those look great, but I can't do $80. The Aussies know a thing or two about off-roading, for sure.
Old 02-14-2015, 08:10 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your Vair is like mine you can just use the hose that came with it to deflate but you might need separate tire gauge Im not sure if it has a check valve.
Old 02-14-2015, 08:23 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Rob 12B1P
If your Vair is like mine you can just use the hose that came with it to deflate but you might need separate tire gauge Im not sure if it has a check valve.
I'll take a close look at it. I'm thinking though that I want to deflate quickly and not pull the compressor out. Afterward, when airing up, time won't be as big a deal.
Old 02-14-2015, 08:33 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know a couple guys that use Stauns (or clones) and they are the fastest Ive seen but they are pricey. I've been eyeballing a set.
Old 02-14-2015, 08:58 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The TF ones work just fine. It's what I use. I don't get the point in spending so much on something that does the exact same thing for $16. I've seen arguments that one can "walk away" without having to keep an eye on them to get to the pressure you want. My thoughts are so what? TF ones only takes a few minutes and I spent $60+ less then they have. Just buy the cheaper ones. And with the TF ones you don't have to remove the stem. That's my 2 cents.

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 02-14-2015, 09:16 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dmwil
I'm looking at several options for tire deflators, including the simple brass tire deflator kit that comes in probably 5 or 6 brand names, or a Rugged Ridge deflator/inflator with a nice guage. I'm looking for one that will quickly and accurately get me down to 15 or 20lbs, depending on what I'm doing.

The brass kit looks like it would be very quick. Not sure about accuracy.

It also has to be cost effective. I've seen the brass kit for 20 bucks. I don't like the ARB because it is expensive and it appears, if I'm correct, you have to take the valve stem center out. That's too complicated, and I'd worry about damaging or losing it.

The Teraflex deflators are neat because they screw together into one piece when not using them. They are also only 16 bucks and you can use your tire guage right on them without taking them off to check. Anyone like that one?

Just knocking another item off the list for Moab! I picked up a Viair compressor, so I've got that end covered.

Thanks!
I have the ARB one that pulls the stem. Impossible to lose the stem as you screw on the connector then remove stem so it is trapped inside the tool. I can air all my tires from 30 to 12 psi and someone else's jeep the same before my brother staun type deflates his tires.
Old 02-14-2015, 09:29 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Tooadvanced
I have the ARB one that pulls the stem. Impossible to lose the stem as you screw on the connector then remove stem so it is trapped inside the tool. I can air all my tires from 30 to 12 psi and someone else's jeep the same before my brother staun type deflates his tires.
Is there any chance of damaging the stem or stripping the threads on them with the ARB?
Old 02-14-2015, 09:35 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by GutlessPhred
The TF ones work just fine. It's what I use. I don't get the point in spending so much on something that does the exact same thing for $16. I've seen arguments that one can "walk away" without having to keep an eye on them to get to the pressure you want. My thoughts are so what? TF ones only takes a few minutes and I spent $60+ less then they have. Just buy the cheaper ones. And with the TF ones you don't have to remove the stem. That's my 2 cents.

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Is it true you can put the tire guage right on these without taking them off?

Quick Reply: Recommendation for Tire Deflator?