Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Signs of Hydrolock?

Old 05-25-2010, 06:32 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by 0311sgt
check for H2O in the distributer cap. Sometimes from splashing and/or washing you can get
H2O inside. A little WD-40 and your all set....if that was the problem good luck and keep us posted
No distributor cap on the JK.

Dstack701,

When you had your battery tested, did they charge it?
Cranking the engine several times without driving the Jeep will deplete the battery if it was not fully charged to begin with.
All your symptoms point to low voltage.
Next time you get it running, check the battery voltage while the alternator is charging it.
Old 05-25-2010, 07:28 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pape
if you're scare to get water wile washing your engine get a rag in the air intake will stop a good amont of water. I did some trail last weekend and one of my friend almost hydro locked is engine but this is a story for a other post
I do that too. But I thought I got water in somewhere else.

Originally Posted by ronjenx
No distributor cap on the JK.

Dstack701,

When you had your battery tested, did they charge it?
Cranking the engine several times without driving the Jeep will deplete the battery if it was not fully charged to begin with.
All your symptoms point to low voltage.
Next time you get it running, check the battery voltage while the alternator is charging it.
The shop just tested the battery....They did not charge it.

I'm thinking this is what happened. I've been driving it around without incident so I'll mess around with it tomorrow.

Anyone have any ideas about the issue I was having on the trails with the jeep starting up the quickly shutting down?
Old 05-25-2010, 07:43 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Dstack701
I do that too. But I thought I got water in somewhere else.

The shop just tested the battery....They did not charge it.

I'm thinking this is what happened. I've been driving it around without incident so I'll mess around with it tomorrow.

Anyone have any ideas about the issue I was having on the trails with the jeep starting up the quickly shutting down?
Could be a problem with the chip in the key, or the computer in the JK.
Also, it can be a symptom of a low system voltage.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:47 AM
JK Freak

if you were going to hydrolock your jeep, it would have been on the skyline trip

sounds like to me you might have a battery issue. Esp if it starts everytime you jump it. It may have a dead cell that doesnt always show up on the machines that check them.

my .02
Old 05-26-2010, 02:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dmhines
Bad starter maybe? Once you have hyrolocked your engine its screwed ... it aint gonna run ... ever ... and surely won't jump start.
Not always the case... if you get lucky, and act right away, you have a chance. Here is a YJ up near Silverton, CO last Sept on the Stony Pass trail. He decided to go in nose first instead of going around, even tho I warned him. Result, his motor died as soon as the water went over the hood.

His buddy pulled him out "using a chain tied around a flimsy bumperette". I lent him the tools to pull his plugs. After 5 minutes of cranking and spurting water out the ass end and the plug holes, he put two back in and cranked the engine over. It kicked over within a minute or two. He put the remaining two plugs in, returned my tools and off he went with the group he was with. Don't know how far he got, I went in the opposite direction.

The whole group was a circus all in one ring!!

Being pulled out with a chain hooked around the cheapo bumperette....

Another of his idiot friends in a Rubicon who decided to plow his way through... he made it.

Last edited by AZ Outlaws; 05-26-2010 at 02:26 PM.
Old 05-27-2010, 08:01 AM
JK Freak

Default JK's aluminum piston rods

nice - don't think YJ's/TJ's have aluminum piston rods?

day after i hydrolocked my jk, my friend hydrolocked his tj, but we pulled the plugs, vacuumed out intake, let dry out a day, hand cranked and his rig started up.

Originally Posted by AZ Outlaws
Not always the case... if you get lucky, and act right away, you have a chance. Here is a YJ up near Silverton, CO last Sept on the Stony Pass trail. He decided to go in nose first instead of going around, even tho I warned him. Result, his motor died as soon as the water went over the hood.

His buddy pulled him out "using a chain tied around a flimsy bumperette". I lent him the tools to pull his plugs. After 5 minutes of cranking and spurting water out the ass end and the plug holes, he put two back in and cranked the engine over. It kicked over within a minute or two. He put the remaining two plugs in, returned my tools and off he went with the group he was with. Don't know how far he got, I went in the opposite direction.

The whole group was a circus all in one ring!!

Being pulled out with a chain hooked around the cheapo bumperette....

Another of his idiot friends in a Rubicon who decided to plow his way through... he made it.

Old 05-27-2010, 10:25 AM
JK Newbie

Default The Jeep Click

I have had my 09 JK into the dealer twice for this same issue. I did some reasearch on the differnt forums on this issue. Several people have had it and it seems the best solution to get the Jeep started is to put it in nurtural. I am by no means a mechanic but It appears to be some kind of electrical sensor that is not aliging porperly.

As you reseach this you will find a lot of people have had had several things replaced by the dealer, but the problem is it happnes very randam and the dealers cannot not recreat the issue.

I hope this helps. If not keep researching on the forum for Jeep starting issues.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:29 AM
JK Newbie

Default Jeep Click

Check out this thread. https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ighlight=click
Old 05-28-2010, 08:57 AM
JK Freak

Is he even using an auto? I diddnt see any mention of it in his post

and i am leaning on a bad battery

if it was the Alternator then he would have a MIL light and a code.

And shouldnt this be moved to stock?
Old 05-28-2010, 10:23 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by warlord
Is he even using an auto? I diddnt see any mention of it in his post

and i am leaning on a bad battery

if it was the Alternator then he would have a MIL light and a code.

And shouldnt this be moved to stock?
Yes I'm running an Auto. Eddie just that good. He probably remembers that from Moab when we wheeled together. Prolly remembers the little green runt

Everything is running and starting just fine now. I think it just need to dry out and charge the battery. The battery got drained after trying to get it started a few times. All good now

Quick Reply: Signs of Hydrolock?