Notices
Fun in the Sun General discussion forum regarding all the fun things we Jeepers do with our Jeep JK Wranglers including camping, fishing, hunting, and geocaching.

Where do your DOGS ride!?

Old 02-26-2011, 05:25 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where do your DOGS ride!?

Especially if you have a 2 door with the Tuffy rear security deck???

I have two dozis that are my trusty camping companions. They are great watch dogs. I do a lot of beach camping and I have a whole setup geared specifically for the beach environment. But I have yet to take my JK on a trip because I just bought it.

I was thinking about letting them chill on top of the rear deck harnessed in by their leashes attached to the top roll bar. Front seat is out of the question if I'm traveling 2 up with a human passenger.. besides, they don't like to share.

Are there any JK accessories for dogs that I have yet to discover? Or is this just a dumb thread anyhow?

-KS-
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	hi_guys.jpg
Views:	811
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	131195  
Old 02-26-2011, 05:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

+1 JK dog accessories would be cool
Old 02-26-2011, 05:42 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe run a Cargo nack or something like that and a leash just looped around a roll bar?
Old 03-02-2011, 11:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

If I was going to attach a leash to a rollbar, I would use a dog harness, not a collar.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

It depends on your dog. Mine just kinda chills there, even with the doors off. So I don't use a leash or anything. There's no place he'd rather be than with me.
My friends dog climbs around the car so much she's not allowed in my cars.
Old 03-02-2011, 02:50 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dellpjJK
It depends on your dog. Mine just kinda chills there, even with the doors off. So I don't use a leash or anything. There's no place he'd rather be than with me.
My friends dog climbs around the car so much she's not allowed in my cars.
If you ever had to swerve, brake or hit anything, your dog would be thrown out, especially with the doors off. They are subject to the laws of physics "mass in motion tends to remain in motion" Please harness them (not a collar to strangle them) and secure so they can move a bit, but not be flung out. A nonskid surface would help too, especially on the lid of a storage box. Your Best Friend will thank you by living longer....
Old 03-02-2011, 02:58 PM
JK Super Freak

If youre using a soft top or hard top then on top of the deck would probably work if you put a rubber mat or something on top to help them from skidding. when my tops off i use a make shift rig that constitutes using a heavy duty rubber tarp strap in the two holes on the top of your sport bar. I then tie two homemade leashes out of tubular nylon so they have enough room to move but not get out. It works for me and gives me peace of mind. If I had the money, Id probably get a smittybilt CRES or something along those lines for the top off. Your best bet would to just take a saturday afternoon and putz around till you find something that works for you and your situation.
Old 03-05-2011, 04:12 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by danmojo82
If youre using a soft top or hard top then on top of the deck would probably work if you put a rubber mat or something on top to help them from skidding. when my tops off i use a make shift rig that constitutes using a heavy duty rubber tarp strap in the two holes on the top of your sport bar. I then tie two homemade leashes out of tubular nylon so they have enough room to move but not get out. It works for me and gives me peace of mind.
Would you happen to have any pics? I can't quite envision what you've explained. Thanks for the replies guys. Oh and yes, they NEVER have a leash/line/stakeout connected to their collars. They have harnesses and LOVE to wear them.

I saw the rubber mat that goes atop the security deck. It's a sham .. er, I mean, a shame they charge so much for a piece of rubber. Oh well.
Old 03-09-2011, 12:41 PM
JK Freak

Check out dirty dog 4x4. He makes mesh covers and other dog friendly accessories like netting, etc. I ordered the JKU 2 piece mesh top and it is a super high quality item. He's a sponsor on this forum too.
Old 03-11-2011, 02:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Check out http://www.buckleuppup.com/ I used this in the back of my CJ. Now that I have the JK I will use it there too. I have one for both my dogs (mastiff cross, and a rottie) and it works great, especially when the top is off. The harness anchors to the seatbelt or you can install an anchor point. The dogs are able to stand up, turn around without tangling, hang their head out the side of the tub or window without being able to jump out, get choked, or get thrown from the vehicle. It really was one of the best accessories I got for my Jeep. There are even pics of dogs riding in Jeeps on the site.

Good Luck

Quick Reply: Where do your DOGS ride!?