Notices
Fun in the Sun General discussion forum regarding all the fun things we Jeepers do with our Jeep JK Wranglers including camping, fishing, hunting, and geocaching.

Where do your DOGS ride!?

Old 03-11-2011, 12:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 03-11-2011, 12:22 PM
JK Newbie

We have an unlimited, but both of our dogs (50 lb. mutts) each have a soft folding crate that's in the cargo area in the back, for reasons of pet retention in the event of any unexpected maneuver.

Even with the crates, you have to make sure they are secure either against the back of the rear seats, or tied down to the floor. We had the seats folded once and a non-panic stop that I considered moderate still managed to roll one of the crates over towards the front of the Jeep.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:30 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mo7s JK
Check out http://www.buckleuppup.com/ I used this in the back of my CJ. Now that I have the JK I will use it there too. I have one for both my dogs (mastiff cross, and a rottie) and it works great, especially when the top is off. The harness anchors to the seatbelt or you can install an anchor point. The dogs are able to stand up, turn around without tangling, hang their head out the side of the tub or window without being able to jump out, get choked, or get thrown from the vehicle. It really was one of the best accessories I got for my Jeep. There are even pics of dogs riding in Jeeps on the site.

Good Luck

Now that's pretty cool. My dogs wouldn't like having to stay in one spot though. However, it does look very secure! that would work great on top of the Tuffy security deck too. Thanks for the reply Mo7s.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:55 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2 wheaten terriers here...
ride in crates lashed down in the back with the rear seat out...
Old 03-29-2011, 12:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default working dogs

Look at the working dog web sites like leerburg or ray allen they have lots of gear for police/service animal transport and saftey. SAR dogs are used with 4x4 alot and im sure something is designed for just this kind of situation.
Old 07-05-2012, 06:03 AM
JK Newbie

Default I sure hope this thread isn't dead ?

I have a Sahara Unlimited, and the trunk has been booked by my German Shep.

It's getting a bit hot these days, and the A/C isn't sufficient for her full comfort. So I'm trying to find a solution for her.

And before anybody asks, she's got a harness, tied to a leash, so she's limited to her space. I just want people to keep their distance from her. And from our second German Shep, who should join us in the coming months - we got a vet of a brother checking his clients for us as we speak.

In my previous car (a LR Hippo, aka Freelander 3door), I had ordered and installed a special grille that went on top of the door, acting like a second window layer so to speak. That was just fantastic, I could lower the rear window from the dashboard and Seypah had all the air she needed. Plus some protection.

I looked at a few options that tie to the roll bar, but the Unlimited's bar is not as straight as in the short body. So she looses a lot of head space. And she's a big, tall lady - so that just won't work.

Does anybody have an idea for a fix to that situation ?

In the meantime, here's what we do whenever we stop somewhere: open the door and let her out. And don't ask where we place out luggage. Who needs luggage with a friend like her ?

Click image for larger version

Name:	seypah_mobile.jpg
Views:	1160
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	337568
Old 07-05-2012, 06:22 AM
JK Super Freak

Here she is...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3397105280.jpg
Views:	649
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	337578  
Old 07-05-2012, 06:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

My new blue tick hound, just throw a bed in the back seat and he's out in no time
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2767986047.jpg
Views:	629
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	337581  
Old 07-05-2012, 06:27 AM
JK Newbie

Did I mention there'll soon be TWO German Sheps ? They'll never fit in the front seat... And the trunk is already Dog Territory, that's where I want to keep them...

Seriously, guys... I'm trying to find a working solution here
Old 07-05-2012, 07:19 AM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I put the back doors on and tie a short leash to the middle seat bracket ( folded down ). It's just enough leash for him to look out the back windows, step on the center console to say hi, and not jump out the back. I keep the back doors on so he can't throw his butt out a door and hang himself.

Quick Reply: Where do your DOGS ride!?