Notices
Camping & Hiking General discussion forum regarding all things camping or hiking including hiking trails, great places to camp, camping or hiking gear and anything related to hiking or camping.

Sleeping in the JK

Old 05-14-2009, 11:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

from tail gate to driver's side seat how much room is there? I', wondering if I could even fit in the back of one of these...
Old 05-14-2009, 11:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Look at that picture, thats a queen size mattress and I'm 6'4"

Originally Posted by RiSK
from tail gate to driver's side seat how much room is there? I', wondering if I could even fit in the back of one of these...

It's not big enough for me to really stretch out, but it ain't the ASTORIA either

JIMBO
Old 05-14-2009, 03:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

it's hard to tell just how distorted that queen is in the image. I know in my 1989 cherokee I could just about lay fully in it diagonally.

i can't imagine the wrangler being smaller, but i could be wrong. i'll find out this weekend when i try to test drive one.
Old 05-14-2009, 07:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

It's a little distorted "width wise", because the Xterra was over a foot wider at the gate, but length wise, the queen is straight, angled a little up un the front seats 'leaned" forward

Originally Posted by RiSK
it's hard to tell just how distorted that queen is in the image. I know in my 1989 cherokee I could just about lay fully in it diagonally.

i can't imagine the wrangler being smaller, but i could be wrong. i'll find out this weekend when i try to test drive one.
JIMBO
Old 06-05-2009, 04:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You just simplified my life, Thank You! I was contemplating doing this exact same thing, but your's is better than my mental prototype. It's off to the lumberyard for me tomorrow.
Old 06-05-2009, 06:23 PM
DJG
JK Newbie

Smopho,

Glad I could be of assistance. This past weekend I went to Costco where they had a nice roll of indoor/outdoor carpet for $30. I used it to on the boards. I just attached the seperate pieces with a staple gun. Keeps Olive (shown), as well as other gear from sliding around on the boards.

Also, I've included a photo of the support detail underneath the boards. Make sure you give yourself room to open the hatch in the floor. With the 2x4 on edge, there's just enough lift in the hatch to retrieve the items I place in there.

Also, when you measure and cut the supports (2x4's) be sure you have the seats in the up position, and make sure the rear larger board leaves room on the supports for the forward two boards. I cut the rear larger board short by 3 inches. This provides support for the forward boards in the rear, and the back of the seats support them in the front.

For the smaller forward board support, I had to attach a small piece of plywood on forward edge of the large board, as there was only one 2x4 on edge to support it, which caused it to tilt. It will make sense when you build it.

Last thing, make sure you have a cutout for the locking mechanism that protrudes from the rear gate.

I think that's it. Let me know if you need more info or photos.

Cheers,

DG

Old 06-09-2009, 01:49 PM
DJG
JK Newbie

JKCarney,

I'd be happy to do that. No sense reinventing the wheel (or the bed as the case may be). I'll try to get to it tonight. I'll try to add some instructions, but I think the original pics should help a great deal.

DG

Originally Posted by JKCarney
Can you share the measurements of your set up? All the different dimensions and sizes of the different pieces of plywood and 2x4's? Thanks...Great idea.
Old 06-11-2009, 10:37 AM
DJG
JK Newbie

Default Sleeping Setup Drawing

Hey JKCarney,

Attached are the drawings you requested. Let me know if you need anything else. Pretty easy, with great returns on time and effort. I think you'll find the whole thing very comfortable. Remember, when you sleep, you'll want to slide the front seats forward, which allows the headrests to fold down. I just fill the crevis created with a duffle bag or jacket.

DG

Last edited by DJG; 06-11-2009 at 11:03 AM.
Old 06-22-2009, 11:54 AM
JK Newbie

I just took a road trip from VA to MS and took a twin air mattress to crash out on. I just folded the seats down and put it back there. It wasn't bad, but I am only 5'7" and felt a little cramped, the seats don't lay flat, and even the twin size filled up the entire back. All in all it did in a pinch for a few hours rest, but I don't think I could do it for any length of time.
Old 12-03-2009, 03:06 PM
db1
JK Enthusiast

I still can't believe that someone hasn't come up with an air matress that contours to the back of the jeep. At SEMA last year, Eddie came across the company Truckbedz. They said maybe someday.

Quick Reply: Sleeping in the JK