Notices
Announcements Important announcements regarding changes, additions or general information regarding JK-Forum can be found here.

JK Recall

Old 08-01-2013, 07:49 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JK Recall

Had to call customer service to file a complaint. During the discussion I was told that there is a recall (N-28). No letters to jeep owners have been sent a letter pertaining to this recall because apparently Jeep doesn't even have the parts made to correct it.

It is where the Transmission cooler line can rub against the Power Steering line. This rubbing back and forth can cause a hole to start in the Tranny line and your tranny fluid can start leaking. If not caught soon enough you will lose all the tranny fluid.

Additionally, the power steering line can rub against the tranny line and over a period of time you will have no steering fluid. "Or words to that effect. The woman I spoke with said that as long as she has worked there, this recall notice was the most vague notice she had read.

When I asked her if the letter states we can continue to drive our jeeps, she said nothing was mentioned about that. However she did say tha it was up to each individual until the dealers get the proper parts to fix it. So don't have a clue as to what a guy should do.

If you have "two"lines rubbing against each other, how can you tell that the transmission line will be the first to leak???

Because I had called to file a formal complaint, after she took that info is when she brought up the recall notice. She said that (for some reason) she was typing my name is as we spoke so I would be the first to have the parts send to my dealer. Believe that when I see it happening.

About three weeks ago I noticed seven very small oil spots on my shop floor. Couldn't find out where they were coming from so took it to the dealer. They said they checked everything over and couldn't find anything that was or had leaked. So when I got this information about the recall, I immediately crawled under the jeep and thoroughly checked everything I could and found nothing except two of the rear differential bolts were not torqued to specs. I had the dealer double checked them after I installed frot and rear ARB differential covers. Didn't trust my torque wrench. Was informed that it may take quite awhile for Jeep to get the recall letter out and perhaps longer to get the parts to repair the problem.
Old 08-02-2013, 05:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Did they happen to mention what years are involved?
Old 08-02-2013, 06:42 AM
JK Newbie

It's for 2012 models and some early built 2013 models. Went in for one of my free oil changes yesterday at the dealership. When he came back to give me my keys he said their is a recall for my jeep for the transmission line. Said they would send letters out when parts came in to fix it. My jeep is a 2013 with a build date of 12/26/2012.

Last edited by Legossey; 08-02-2013 at 06:45 AM.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

cool, thanks
Old 08-02-2013, 11:52 AM
JK Newbie

I would think they knew the VIN range affected and would notify owners immediately. If not, they may be replacing a bunch of transmissions, which is far more expensive than putting a spacer between two lines.
Old 08-03-2013, 07:16 AM
JK Forum Regional Rep

Originally Posted by Corners08
Had to call customer service to file a complaint. During the discussion I was told that there is a recall (N-28). No letters to jeep owners have been sent a letter pertaining to this recall because apparently Jeep doesn't even have the parts made to correct it.

It is where the Transmission cooler line can rub against the Power Steering line. This rubbing back and forth can cause a hole to start in the Tranny line and your tranny fluid can start leaking. If not caught soon enough you will lose all the tranny fluid.

Additionally, the power steering line can rub against the tranny line and over a period of time you will have no steering fluid. "Or words to that effect. The woman I spoke with said that as long as she has worked there, this recall notice was the most vague notice she had read.

When I asked her if the letter states we can continue to drive our jeeps, she said nothing was mentioned about that. However she did say tha it was up to each individual until the dealers get the proper parts to fix it. So don't have a clue as to what a guy should do.

If you have "two"lines rubbing against each other, how can you tell that the transmission line will be the first to leak???

Because I had called to file a formal complaint, after she took that info is when she brought up the recall notice. She said that (for some reason) she was typing my name is as we spoke so I would be the first to have the parts send to my dealer. Believe that when I see it happening.

About three weeks ago I noticed seven very small oil spots on my shop floor. Couldn't find out where they were coming from so took it to the dealer. They said they checked everything over and couldn't find anything that was or had leaked. So when I got this information about the recall, I immediately crawled under the jeep and thoroughly checked everything I could and found nothing except two of the rear differential bolts were not torqued to specs. I had the dealer double checked them after I installed frot and rear ARB differential covers. Didn't trust my torque wrench. Was informed that it may take quite awhile for Jeep to get the recall letter out and perhaps longer to get the parts to repair the problem.
It's not just the fact you will loose oil but rather a fire.That oil sparying on your hot manifolds
Old 08-23-2013, 09:21 AM
JK Newbie

Is there any update to this Recall? I just bought a 2012 JK Rubicon from a private party
Old 08-26-2013, 12:29 PM
JK Newbie

Just received the official Safety Recall Notice for my 2012 JKU today, 26 August. Of course the dealer can't do the recall for the reason stated above; no parts. This is really going to help some poor sap cruising down the interstate on the way to Florida or somewhere.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:35 PM
JK Newbie

Is this only on models with auto trannies?
Old 08-26-2013, 02:22 PM
JK Newbie

Yeah...I did see some threads on here and a quick fix to take care of it. Funny they own up to a $5 piece to tube but not a cylinder head...

Quick Reply: JK Recall