Notices
Anything & Everything General discussions about pretty much anything and everything under the sun EXCEPT for topics specifically regarding the Jeep JK Wrangler. Please note that posts made in this forum will NOT be added to your overall post count. Also, be advised that the content allowed within this forum may be considered by some to be R-Rated in nature and is intended for mature adults only. If you are offended easily, please exercise some personal restraint and refrain from visiting this sub-forum. DO NOT start threads which encourages the posting of sexually-oriented photos and or content.

2 killed in failed recovery, disclaimer DEAD BODY in video

Old 05-07-2014, 01:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

...and I wish I had read the disclaimer. Terrible stuff.

Last edited by HighRoad; 05-07-2014 at 01:20 PM.
Old 05-07-2014, 01:28 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by k0260 View Post
Wow crazy:( on mobile right now so can't really see, was it the bumper that flew off and hit them?
No it was the strap and hook that hit them

Sent from my obama monitoring device
Old 05-07-2014, 01:31 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very unfortunate. As a driver, one has to assume that spectators are not sufficiently knowledgeable about off-road safety. A driver should hold themselves 100% responsible and accountable for the safety of those around them.
Old 05-07-2014, 01:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Very sad to see that it happened. The 2 people down got hit so fast they probably didn't even know what hit them. There were several dangers there, people were too close, the strap was just resting on a hook as opposed to being locked into a shackle, etc. The main one was everyone being so close, anything can happen when you have that much kinetic energy in a strap and it lets loose. Very sad!!
Old 05-07-2014, 06:51 PM
Super Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Very sad. Hard to believe so many people were standing that close during that recovery. Definitely an eye opener.
Old 05-09-2014, 07:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

This is why I like synthetic rope. If it snaps or a part fails, it just drops to the ground.
Old 05-09-2014, 08:19 AM
JK Super Freak

Awful stuff :(

Originally Posted by Invest2m4 View Post
Very unfortunate. As a driver, one has to assume that spectators are not sufficiently knowledgeable about off-road safety. A driver should hold themselves 100% responsible and accountable for the safety of those around them.
Laws vary by state/country, and I'd be curious to know who is legally liable for recovery mishaps. I would think most of it falls on the driver and/or vehicle insurance unless a third party does something completely negligent.

But your point is well taken, even if you aren't technically liable or if you are, if you see a safety "violation", it's never wrong to call it out. The safer we are and the more lives we preserve, the more respect we gain for our sport.
Old 05-09-2014, 08:24 AM
JK Newbie

That's hardcore.
Old 05-09-2014, 10:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by White Fang View Post
This is why I like synthetic rope. If it snaps or a part fails, it just drops to the ground.
Don't be so sure about that. Last time I was around a winch line that broke, it was a synthetic line, and it flew back like a bat out of hell. Albeit it was almost a 10 year old line.
Old 06-06-2014, 07:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Kinda reminds me of when I was a new Jeeper in my first TJ 15 or so years ago. I tried to pull somebody out of the snow with one of those cheap tow straps that had a metal hook. Well of course it broke and the hook came flying back at my jeep; it smashed a headlight and imbedded itself into the grill.

Had it gone just a little bit higher it would have gone through the windshield and I could have looked like one of those guys. I've been a lot more careful with recoveries since then.

Quick Reply: 2 killed in failed recovery, disclaimer DEAD BODY in video

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: