Notices
Anything & Everything General discussions about pretty much anything and everything under the sun EXCEPT for topics specifically regarding the Jeep JK Wrangler. Please note that posts made in this forum will NOT be added to your overall post count. Also, be advised that the content allowed within this forum may be considered by some to be R-Rated in nature and is intended for mature adults only. If you are offended easily, please exercise some personal restraint and refrain from visiting this sub-forum. DO NOT start threads which encourages the posting of sexually-oriented photos and or content.

Make Camaro_Girl Great Again

Old 11-08-2018, 06:29 PM
JK Super Freak

You're both in my thoughts, take care and best of luck with the next surgery!
Old 02-17-2019, 03:55 AM
JK Junkie

Thank you guys for the thoughts/prayers.

Figured an update would be useful. Erica's surgery went well. She was under the knife for nearly 9 hours and the surgeons and doctors found and fixed multiple issues with her bowels, GI tract and pelvic findings. The epidural they used to numb her for the surgery only covered 3/4 of the area needed so she had two different PCA pumps (pain pumps) in addition to a central line in her neck, a huge 16 gauge IV in her hand, and another 20 gauge IV in her right arm. In addition to the mess of lines she also had an NG tube in her nose for almost a week. The first 1-2 days were the toughest and her pain was wildly out of control and it was difficult process to say the least. She was hospitalized for about 2 weeks until we finally got her home. She has a large incision spanning from her sternum, down & around her belly button and further to about her pelvic bone.

If that weren't enough her incision site became infected while still in the hospital and she was unfortunately discharged on antibiotics that weren't capable of covering for said infection, so we had to go back for a few urgent appointments to inspect her incision, change meds and monitor her incision site. We pushed through it, I did dressing changes twice a day and took care of her at home helping her get up and sit down carefully for a couple weeks before returning to work myself. Daily activities were challenging since they cut through all of her abdominal muscles not to mention the pain attributed to the surgery itself.

She recovered well, her incision healed up great considering what was done and the infection, plus the doctors even managed to glue/suture her chest tattoo back nicely. Her activity improved as time went on and we got her to the gym doing some light jogging on the elliptical.

She has gone down on her pain medications. I've seen personality traits from her that I haven't seen in months if not years. Her attitude has improved and things are generally going well. She was supposed to return to work this past week since her FMLA was almost out, but requested a couple more weeks to get herself ready to return to working in the ER. Her primary doctor for this surgery is recommending a light duty restriction so we're waiting to hear back from the clinic about that, but we'll get that sorted out soon enough. I think it would be good for her to get back to work and make a difference in patients lives. Surely she'll have some anxiety about jumping back in, but I think she'll do great. She has always had a dynamic bedside manner where she could crack the grumpy patients and joke with the light hearted ones too, all the while not taking any shit from the asshole patients.

Unfortunately not everything is positive. She has had some lurking "old pains" that have haunted her recently and it scares her. She hasn't wanted to tell me because she sees how happy it makes me to see her doing well and she doesn't want to let me down. We know that this surgery was our best chance for her to live a better life, we also know that surgeries like this are no guarantee. That being said we expected her to have some degree of pain or discomfort for a while as she heals, but of course she could have some pain permanently. Erica and I were praying for this surgery to improve her general quality of life and we think it definitely has thus far. Unsure what the future holds, but we're determined to take it on together with a positive attitude.

We cannot thank Dr. Kareem Abu-Elmagd and his team at the Cleveland Clinic for all of their help, support, time and effort in coordinating and executing this surgery with us. They have not only impacted but saved countless lives with their malrotation program for people world-wide.
Old 02-17-2019, 07:26 AM
JK Junkie

That's awesome news Mike. Hopefully she'll be back to cooking up the hobo hash at Freak Fest events soon. Again, good to hear that she's getting back to where she used to be.
Old 02-17-2019, 06:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Prays still coming your way. Hope to hear more good news in the near future. Everyone PRAY PRAY PRAY!! The power of prays is unbelievable, TRUST!

Quick Reply: Make Camaro_Girl Great Again

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: