Notices
Anything & Everything General discussions about pretty much anything and everything under the sun EXCEPT for topics specifically regarding the Jeep JK Wrangler. Please note that posts made in this forum will NOT be added to your overall post count. Also, be advised that the content allowed within this forum may be considered by some to be R-Rated in nature and is intended for mature adults only. If you are offended easily, please exercise some personal restraint and refrain from visiting this sub-forum. DO NOT start threads which encourages the posting of sexually-oriented photos and or content.

"Is there a god" thread?

Old 06-10-2014, 05:15 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 0BigBlue7 View Post
I know there was one on here at one point, but I can't seem to find it. Anyhow, I have a question for all you religious folks out there. Before I ask I'm going too make it clear that I am an atheist. I'm not trying to start any drama or cause problems, I just like to try and understand other peoples way of thinking.

Now, with that said, my question is, those of you that "pray" to "God", has it ever made a difference? Do you have any way of knowing that it was your "God" that helped, other than "faith"?

I'm sure this will lead to more questions from other people and myself included.

Again, I don't mean to be rude or anything at all, I just wondered if anyone has an actual real world experience if "praying" actually doing anything.

Hello fellow atheist. Enjoy being alive. Life is so precious. If we are lucky, we get to live. If we are luckier still, we get to be intelligent beings. In the vastness of space in time, all we get is barely a blip and before you can finish blinking, it's over. Thus, enjoy every breath you get and be awesome to every person you meet, no matter that person's history or circumstance. Like you, this is all they get. There's no time for anything but forgiveness, love and joy. We are all one big family.
Old 06-10-2014, 06:32 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by rodi View Post
I guess I'll waste my time... This wasn't opinion. It was fact. There is no will above and beyond neurochemical reactions that make you tick. The brain controls decisions in the frontal lobe. To preserve its energy, it chooses habits. Genes and conditioning also contribute to it's decision making. Most decision-making is unconscious- human imagination easily conjures up entities to explain the mysterious. Enter the "soul." Causality. Cause & Effect are two sides of one fact. Everything has a cause. Every effect becomes a cause to something else. If we had free-will, we would sidestep the brain's programming and function. There is no will above and beyond these neurochemical triggers in the human brain. free will and the soul are illusions. All thoughts and emotion are neural activity. even a last-minute decision is the result of our determinants (if you've been paying attention: habits, genes, surroundings, past experiences). every decision we make reflects the entire history of our genes and the way they have interacted with our experiences to make us the persons we are. Your decision to make a left turn at a stop light, you think that was free will? Your mind told you to make your car go left? Lol. No. It was not free. It was the effect of a long line of causes. the feeling of freedom comes from the ignorance of causes. Cause and effect. Simple stuff, are you going to deny that fact? Do you know how the brain works? Do some reading. These are all facts. If you want a reference of sources from neurological studies, I'll be happy to find them for you. And you will see, there is no free will. And if there's no free will, then...
Interesting stuff to think about, I agree. But no 2 brains are alike, nor will 2 people always make the same decisions. So explaining how the brain works or seems to work is great and all, but why? Individuals are individuals and do different things because that's who they are and want to be. Telling me that my brain made the decision that I wanted a jeep doesn't mean anything to me. Of course there are causes, but to say there aren't choices is absurd. I don't buy it! There may be fact in the workings of the brain, but no science can measure that long list of causes that ultimately becomes and individual freely making a choice. His or her brain is still free, until they start doing brain implants.
Old 06-11-2014, 03:09 AM
Former Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ειρήνη να είναι μαζί σας.

"Sua Sponte"
Old 06-14-2014, 06:58 AM
JK Super Freak

We are all atheists on this thread. I just believe in one fewer god than some. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.
Old 06-14-2014, 09:14 AM
Former Member

qui credit in Filium habet vitam aeternam qui autem incredulus est Filio non videbit vitam sed ira Dei manet super eum

Last edited by larythebaker394; 06-14-2014 at 09:17 AM.
Old 06-14-2014, 03:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JLsJK View Post
I'm a Christian and the truth is it's not up to me to answer your question. There's really not an answer. How do I know what God sees or how he chooses to make decisions. No one knows all the answers nor needs them. You either have faith in God or you don't. I understand that I may not make it through the day. my wife, parents, and others would be upset, but I have faith in God that if this is what happens then he will provide for them and heal their wounds. For you to think that a Christian can explain all the ways of God is silly and impossible. I don't know a single believer that would claim to know all the answers. The truth is we don't need them, we are perfectly okay with not having answers. Faith my friend. A believer has obviously seen what he or she needs to see to simply trust.

My dad always used to tell an agnostic buddy of mine growing up, "If you're right, we will never know. If I'm right we will both know."

To this day that same buddy and I have the same healthy debate.

Faith goes down deeper then getting things you ask for or asking for divine intervention for a good outcome to further yourself as some people believe it does.

In my profession, there are either atheists or believers but rarely any agnostics. We see people at their worst and the believers believe there must be a God to give solace and peace to the down trodden and broken because the world is not going to give it to them. On the flip side, atheist I work with tend to believe there is no God, because if there was he would not allow the atrocities to happen.

I can see both sides but have my own beliefs. My job is not to convince anyone to believe anything. My job is to live my life and allow my actions to speak louder then my voice, if it ,makes someone curious, so be it I will oblige whatever curiosity they have. There are people in every faith or walk of life that preach one thing and do another, wether it's God, Honor or love. The trick is to find the people who walk the walk and not let a bad apple spoil the whole bunch.
Old 06-14-2014, 06:20 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by FLJKU View Post
My dad always used to tell an agnostic buddy of mine growing up, "If you're right, we will never know. If I'm right we will both know." To this day that same buddy and I have the same healthy debate. Faith goes down deeper then getting things you ask for or asking for divine intervention for a good outcome to further yourself as some people believe it does. In my profession, there are either atheists or believers but rarely any agnostics. We see people at their worst and the believers believe there must be a God to give solace and peace to the down trodden and broken because the world is not going to give it to them. On the flip side, atheist I work with tend to believe there is no God, because if there was he would not allow the atrocities to happen. I can see both sides but have my own beliefs. My job is not to convince anyone to believe anything. My job is to live my life and allow my actions to speak louder then my voice, if it ,makes someone curious, so be it I will oblige whatever curiosity they have. There are people in every faith or walk of life that preach one thing and do another, wether it's God, Honor or love. The trick is to find the people who walk the walk and not let a bad apple spoil the whole bunch.
You quoted me, but I think we have the same outlook. Just wondering?!? I agree with everything you said and try my best daily to live the kind of life that inspires and hopefully others see me as real. I'm honest about my mistakes and I try to learn from them. There's a lot less people that walk the walk, but I truly try to be one of them. Only for the reason, God is good!

Quick Reply: "Is there a god" thread?

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: