Notices
Armed Forces If you are serving our country by being a member of the Armed Forces and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members serving with you, this is the forum for you.

Moving to Ft Carson Soon

Old 01-28-2012, 10:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moving to Ft Carson Soon

Hey, the Army has been jerking me around for months now. I initially reenlisted for Germany, but we got denied because of e.f.m.p., so I selected Hunter Army Airfield, but there werent any open slots. Finally, I was offered Carson, Bliss, and Korea. I don't want to go to Bliss because I would be going right back to the unit I have been trying to get out of for 4 years (they recently moved to Bliss after returning from afghanistan and I am on rear-d still at Ft Hood). Korea was out of the question because I am married now and would never have as much fun as I did when I was there single back in '05. The funny thing about it all is, shortly after I left Korea, the unit I was in (B co. 1/2 Avn Regt, 2 ID) moved to Ft Carson. So, either way I go, I am going back to a unit I have already been in. Thats the wonderful thing about being an Apache mechanig; it's a tiny world for us.

So, if someone from B co Paladins, 1/2 Avn Regt is reading this, keep your eyes open for me on the incomming roster! Also, I need to know everything about the area. Good places to live, 4 wheeling, fishing, hunting, weather etc.
Old 01-28-2012, 11:06 AM
JK Newbie

I left there in 2004. Loved the place and wish I could have went back. Lived out of Gate 20 in a new (at the time) house in Fountain. Good luck. Tons of Jeepers there.
Old 01-28-2012, 11:16 AM
JK Freak

At Carson now over at the 13th Air Support Operations Squadron (ASOS) and attached to the 4 ID mechanized. Colorado is nice yes but me being from Florida, I hate the cold and snow. Plus I've been here for 5 years now and need a change but the trails, camping, hunting and anything outdoors are amazing. As far as places to live go I'd need to know how far away your willing to drive an budget. I live on the northside of town where its a bit pricier and about 15 miles away but much nicer than anything near base. Plus the schools up here are way better if you have kids.
Old 01-28-2012, 11:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Shoot, I make a 55 minute drive to Ft Hood every morning. It's something like 36 miles from Georgetown to Killeen, then I have to battle traffic. So, I would be willing to live no further than 20 miles away and want to keep the rent down around $650. I am also thinking about buying, and if I was to buy, we are talking about $125,000. Truthfully, I am more worried about living closer to 4 wheeling, fishing and camping than I am about living close to post.
Old 01-28-2012, 11:42 AM
JK Freak

Yea I used to live in Copperas Cove back in the day (early 90's) when my father flew Apaches there. 20 miles from the post means you can pretty much live anywhere in the Springs. However with only $650 for rent your gonna be very limited on where you can live. I pay about $1300 a month for my house up in the nice part of town since my wife and I wanted a great school system for my daughter. Houses up here run about $200k starting and up. Are you wanting a house or an apartment/condo type deal? If you want to live closer to the outdoorsy stuff then I'd recommend moving near the Broadmoor or Monument.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Well, I was hoping to not use every penny of my BAH to cover rent/mortgage, utilities, and cable.
Old 01-29-2012, 01:13 PM
JK Freak

Yea same here but luckily my wife who's also military gets the BAH with dependent too which helps. Colorado Springs is certainly not a cheap place to live like all the other bases I've lived at
Old 01-29-2012, 01:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

This is true! Hood is cheap and from what I have seen, the Carson area isn't renter friendly.
Old 02-07-2012, 04:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well, I guess I will be renting. Now I just need to make a friend or two before I get up there. Hopefully someone with a garrage! Haha
Old 02-13-2012, 11:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

So, where can I get trail maps for colorado sparing and surrounding areas?

Quick Reply: Moving to Ft Carson Soon