Notices
Boating & Fishing General discussion forum regarding all forms of boating including motor boats, sailboats and all things fishing including fly fishing, deep sea fishing, fishing gear and great places to fish.

JK + Kayak

Old 09-02-2008, 09:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Octo
Here is my Sahara half way through a 1400km drive to the Bay of Fundy with my Kayaks. I have a Congo Cage with Yakima rollers. The only complaint that I have is the wind noise is a killer on the highway. I ended up wearing my noise canceling headphones on the way home.

Attachment 12482
I like the congo cage alot, I couldn't fit the jeep in the garage with it so the temporary is a better solution. I haven't seen the congo cage with the yakima accessories, those look awesome on that.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bennyd
What's up everyone. Here are some pics of my latest mods to my JK. I added a sport cage rack for the kayak and I did the bedliner grill because I really liked that mod on some other jeeps in the forum.

Is that a Necky looksha? I have "sport" model in yellow. Great boat!
Old 09-02-2008, 01:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

You are right, It is a necky looksha sport. I just picked it up off craigslist in ATL, they had a yellow one as well. Good call. I have only had it out once in the sound because the water has been really rough from all these storms. I can't wait to take it out for a long tour.
Old 09-02-2008, 03:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bennyd
You are right, It is a necky looksha sport. I just picked it up off craigslist in ATL, they had a yellow one as well. Good call. I have only had it out once in the sound because the water has been really rough from all these storms. I can't wait to take it out for a long tour.
Damn it's a small world!
I live near Atlanta and I got mine on Craigslist a couple of months ago.
It handles great!
Old 09-03-2008, 04:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MOWrangler
Hey Octo - Did you actually tie to the loop on the hood? I was trying to decide if it was glued on like the nipples of if it would actually work as a tie-down point. Thanks!
The loop on the hood is designed as a tie down for the windshield, so I figured it had to be a bit solid.

I normally only use the loop on the hood for long (4+ hour) drives. I have it strapped at both the front and rear carriers. The hood strap is just for my piece of mind.

Here is a picture of my Congo Cage as I was fabricating a custom standoff. The extra short ones that came with it were not long enough raise and lower the soft top with one person. You can see Yakima accessories without the kayaks in place.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P7050002 (Small).JPG
Views:	1437
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	12549
Old 09-03-2008, 04:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

That is a good mod on the congo cage, nice thinking.
Old 09-03-2008, 06:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

The loop on the hood is designed as a tie down for the windshield, so I figured it had to be a bit solid.

I normally only use the loop on the hood for long (4+ hour) drives. I have it strapped at both the front and rear carriers. The hood strap is just for my piece of mind.

Here is a picture of my Congo Cage as I was fabricating a custom standoff. The extra short ones that came with it were not long enough raise and lower the soft top with one person. You can see Yakima accessories without the kayaks in place.

Attachment 12549

FYI-
Somebody else had a post where he used his hood windshield tie down as a kayak strap point and it broke.
Isn't it made of plastic?
Old 09-26-2008, 06:35 PM
JK Newbie

Here is my Sahara half way through a 1400km drive to the Bay of Fundy with my Kayaks. I have a Congo Cage with Yakima rollers. The only complaint that I have is the wind noise is a killer on the highway. I ended up wearing my noise canceling headphones on the way home.

Attachment 12482
To what do you attribute the wind noise? The cage or the kayaks?
Old 09-27-2008, 05:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Location: Sitting on top of the world with my legs hanging free

I gotta snap off a pic with it on my ride

Old 10-06-2008, 08:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Anybody tried the thule goal post or yakima dry dock combined with a light bar type rack for the front support?

Quick Reply: JK + Kayak