Notices
Boating & Fishing General discussion forum regarding all forms of boating including motor boats, sailboats and all things fishing including fly fishing, deep sea fishing, fishing gear and great places to fish.

Towing a Bass Boat

Old 02-26-2016, 05:48 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Towing a Bass Boat

Opinion/thoughts.....

I am an avid bass fisherman and owner of a Triton19xs with Merc 225

My best guess is trailer motor boat is close to 3,000 pounds with gear/gas etc.

In doing some research on my Jeep Wrangler '12 shows it has towing capacity of 3,500 lbs.

Any of you folks out there use your jeep to tow anything equivalent?

My trailer has brakes and I'd have to install brake box to jeep.

Curious if you think the jeep can be used to tow this weight? Modifications I may have to make etc.......

Might be cool to have another option to tow my boat locally?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1129759617.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	520.3 KB
ID:	638886  
Old 02-26-2016, 08:04 PM
JK Newbie

Assuming your Jeep still has the stock tires and wheels with stock gears. Take the boat on the trailer to the scales at a truck stop or other public scales and weigh it. That will give you the actual weight of the combination. If the total weight of the bait and trailor is 3500 lbs or less your good. Then adjust the position of the boat on the trailer so that you have a tongue weight of 10% of the total weight of the boat and trailer. After that hookup the brakes and lights and your good to go.
Old 02-27-2016, 02:59 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Jdover
Assuming your Jeep still has the stock tires and wheels with stock gears. Take the boat on the trailer to the scales at a truck stop or other public scales and weigh it. That will give you the actual weight of the combination. If the total weight of the bait and trailor is 3500 lbs or less your good. Then adjust the position of the boat on the trailer so that you have a tongue weight of 10% of the total weight of the boat and trailer. After that hookup the brakes and lights and your good to go.
http://catscale.com/how-to-weigh

Quick Reply: Towing a Bass Boat