Notices
Camping & Hiking General discussion forum regarding all things camping or hiking including hiking trails, great places to camp, camping or hiking gear and anything related to hiking or camping.

Sleeping in the JK

Old 05-11-2009, 06:10 AM
DJG
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sleeping and camping in the JK

Hello All,

First post. I've been reading the threads for a while.

I recently traded in my '99 Wrangler for a JK. I was pulling a boat, and things just got to be a bit too challenging as I traveled further distances.

So my goal was to get a JK so I could sleep in the vehicle when on a fishing and/or hunting trip. I have a tent, but when the weather is really cold, or really wet, I prefer the comfort of the vehicle.

My challenge was making the back level. Having enough room to stretch out. A place to store a fishing rod or rifle (underneath). Not have the bed idea be a permanent situation while on the road. The last point would come into play when traveling with friends. We might bring two cars to the lake, but when it's time to travel to the ramp, it's nice to all go together. In this case, I can simply break down the wood pieces, and bring the seats up. The pictures will explain it all. Let me know if you have any thoughts or questions. I've been using it for several months now. Works like a charm. The JK is really nice, as there's plenty of headroom, so you don't feel like your camping in a low cave.

Cheers.

DG
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	15431
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	23947   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	3626
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	23948   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	1750
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	23949   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	1695
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	23951   Click image for larger version

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	1961
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	23952  

Last edited by DJG; 05-11-2009 at 06:21 AM.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:19 PM
JK Super Freak

I was going to do the same with mine. I ended up putting a few layers of big semi soft floor tiles to even out the floor. We will see how it works out on my 10 day roda trip i'm ago to go on.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:52 PM
JK Jedi

Nice I have been battling how to make a good bed in the JK as well. At first I was going to buy some thick roll up foam sheeting and try to cut my own template (I had trouble finding the material locally) so then I tried to just stuff a queen size air mattress in the back (didn't work so well). I would like something that can easily be taken apart and doesn't take up too much space.

I've been thinking about trying to making some sort of cot with a steel frame and heavy fabric that could be broken down.

I've also thought about trying to hang a hammock from the windshield frame to the back of the JK. I'm not exactly petite though, so I would probably end up imploding the JK.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:58 PM
DJG
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by joepile
thats pretty slick man

i really like it, do you attach the two removable pieces with screws? or just let them lay there?
Hey Joepile,

I was going to connect the boards with dowels, but it turns out that just laying there works fine. I'm not sure if it is obvious from the photos, but the 2x4's extend forward about 3 inches toward the front of the vehicle (beyond the rear board). This allows the forward boards to rest on the same level as the rear board.

It turns out that the 2x4's on edge match perfectly with the slight rise of the rear seats when folded down, so the seats serve as a support for the forward edge of the boards.

Finally, I didn't show that when I sleep, I slide the front seats forward, which allows the rear head rests to fold down (forwar). I just stuff a few clothing items around the gaps, and it works out perfect. I put my head toward the tailgate, as I found the cold from the metal gate makes my feet cold, even with a nice bag and socks.

Boy, it would take a JK owner to visualize that mess of description.

DG

Last edited by DJG; 05-11-2009 at 01:46 PM.
Old 05-11-2009, 01:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by DJG
Hey Joepile,

... but the 2x4's extend forward about 3 inches toward the front of the car (beyond the rear board)...
Ohhh boy... there goes another dead kitten.
Old 05-11-2009, 01:03 PM
DJG
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mskh20
Nice I have been battling how to make a good bed in the JK as well. At first I was going to buy some thick roll up foam sheeting and try to cut my own template (I had trouble finding the material locally) so then I tried to just stuff a queen size air mattress in the back (didn't work so well). I would like something that can easily be taken apart and doesn't take up too much space.

I've been thinking about trying to making some sort of cot with a steel frame and heavy fabric that could be broken down.

I've also thought about trying to hang a hammock from the windshield frame to the back of the JK. I'm not exactly petite though, so I would probably end up imploding the JK.
Mskh20,

This was really simple. I'd like to be handy, but usually screw the whole thing up. Although there were a few oops moments on this project, it was really easy. Just used some 2x4 around the house, and purchased 1 sheet of 5/8 plywood (The nice stuff no splinters!). I have looked into some 2" dense foam to improve things, but right now I'm simply using a Thermarest inflatable pad. These are nice in that they roll up and out of the way when it comes time to stow gear, stoves, water jugs, etc. It's not easy to move things around on foam, and it's a pain in the rear to have a pad resting on top of everything you want to access.

DG
Old 05-11-2009, 01:45 PM
DJG
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by USAF_GroundRat
Ohhh boy... there goes another dead kitten.
Eek! Forgive me. Vehicle.
Old 05-11-2009, 05:21 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by DJG
Eek! Forgive me. Vehicle.

JEEP!!!
Old 05-11-2009, 07:11 PM
Sponsoring Vendor
Alpha Expedition

Originally Posted by wildandwillin
JEEP!!!
Old 05-14-2009, 09:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

I just used my Queen sized air mattress, that I got 3 years ago and used in my '06 Xterra

It's a little big, but fits around the wheel wells and is about 8' thick and very strong

has two leakproof air fittings, folds up to fit in a neat brown bag and as you can see, you can close up the jeep, for security !!!

Can't beatit

JIMBO

Quick Reply: Sleeping in the JK