Notices
Camping & Hiking General discussion forum regarding all things camping or hiking including hiking trails, great places to camp, camping or hiking gear and anything related to hiking or camping.

Florida day trips from west palm beach

Old 09-17-2014, 06:39 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Florida day trips from west palm beach

Looking for some places I can drive my jeep with the wife and do some hiking, off-roading would be a bonus, would like something that is not to far away since we would be doing day trips.

And go!
Old 09-17-2014, 10:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Black point wildlife preserve on Merritt island is pretty nice. It would be about 2.5 hours from where you are. It has a little maintained gravel trail that goes for 5 miles I think. It's not wheeling but it's fun to check out the animals.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-583757523.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	575979
Old 09-17-2014, 03:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ocala National Forest isn't too far away from you. It's about a three hour drive (the Florida Turnpike is the fastest way there from WPB) and has a multitude of Jeep trails through the pine flats. There are some cool springs to take a dip in also (Juniper Springs and Fern Hammock Springs to name a few). Just watch out for the gators. If you get bored, drop by Silver Springs and check out the wild life.
Old 09-29-2014, 07:57 PM
JK Super Freak

Make a trip up to Ocala for Jeeptoberfest! Over 1,000 Jeeps and three different obstacle courses. Lots of fun.
Old 09-30-2014, 05:20 AM
JK Freak

Dr. Google says 2 hours 11 mins from WPB to hit up Big Cypress National Preserve. Just went there this past weekend and it was a blast. Open trails are about 20 miles right now. The main trails (makes kind of a loop) are rather mild with the south end heading out getting pretty deep with water, mud, etc. Some of the trails that branch off the main were pretty intense and the wife wasn't feeling adventurous enough to explore.

You pay $100 for an off-road permit that's good until January 31st (kind of a bummer since we're late in the year) and you get your vehicle inspected. The inspection sticker is good for 3 years. Just looking for tires 9" wide or more, 4 wheels drive, registration and insurance. From there, you'll head out to the backcountry. Open the combination lock, then you're off. You're welcome to park, hike, wheel, whatever back there.

We saw a handful of deer, gators, snakes, wild turkey, rabbits, and apparently missed a bear according to a ranger.

If you head out that way, shoot me a PM. I may be up for going again. Also, be sure to leave WPB early...Like 7am to get there when it opens at 0930...We left Miramar at 0930 and got home around 1830 just from the drive and exploring...and we didn't even get to take in all of the sites!
Old 09-30-2014, 05:29 AM
JK Newbie

Just saw this thread. I live in WPB and just picked up a 2014 JKU last weekend. I used to have a 93 YJ back in the day and missed it like crazy so traded in my 4Runner on got back in to the Jeep Family. Its stock for now but looking to put on a Teraflex BB and some bigger meat. Keeping an eye on CL for some. I would be interested in a fun trail ride sometime so I'll keep this thread on my list.
Old 09-30-2014, 04:30 PM
JK Newbie

I would be up for Big Cypress if anyone gets a trip together. I've got my ORV permit already but have not been yet. I'm in Plantation. My 2014 JKU will be going to Fortec next week for a nice makeover then I'll be ready to test it.
Old 10-01-2014, 03:30 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by BAMA1111
I would be up for Big Cypress if anyone gets a trip together. I've got my ORV permit already but have not been yet. I'm in Plantation. My 2014 JKU will be going to Fortec next week for a nice makeover then I'll be ready to test it.
Let me know when she's ready to wheel. I'm down to go again. It'd be better to explore more next time without the wife and kids since they were freaking out at some times.
Old 10-01-2014, 04:39 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Glad I found this thread. Moving from Indiana to start a job in Jupiter on Monday. Will be looking for places to wheel/ride. Not quite sure where the living location will be yet, but looking in wpb area.
Old 10-05-2014, 02:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'd be interested in making a trip with a group.

Quick Reply: Florida day trips from west palm beach