Notices
Camping & Hiking General discussion forum regarding all things camping or hiking including hiking trails, great places to camp, camping or hiking gear and anything related to hiking or camping.

Long Distance Dog Hiking

Old 11-03-2008, 06:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Long Distance Dog Hiking

We own an Australian Cattle Dog who we are training for long distance hiking. He is 10 months old and just today he did a 17 mile hike with 4,000' total elevation gain. We have been slowly working his mileage/difficulty up since he was 4 months old. So far, he only wears the pack harness without packs, or in a few cases with empty packs. We plan to start introducing weight on him after he gets over a year old.

Our goal is to get him up to multiple 25 mile days, carrying 1/4 his body weight (he is 50lbs) at the trailhead. So far he seems to be coming a long fine but I never mind a little advice.

Anyone here have any experience working with training back country trail dogs?

Dave
Old 11-03-2008, 07:41 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidEllzey
We own an Australian Cattle Dog who we are training for long distance hiking. He is 10 months old and just today he did a 17 mile hike with 4,000' total elevation gain. We have been slowly working his mileage/difficulty up since he was 4 months old. So far, he only wears the pack harness without packs, or in a few cases with empty packs. We plan to start introducing weight on him after he gets over a year old.

Our goal is to get him up to multiple 25 mile days, carrying 1/4 his body weight (he is 50lbs) at the trailhead. So far he seems to be coming a long fine but I never mind a little advice.

Dave
No, but I have to say, that sounds like a lot of fun. And good for you, too. I never met a dog that didn't love to hike with its owner.
Old 11-03-2008, 07:59 PM
Jeb
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm unfamiliar with this- what does he carry? (Or what would he carry?) Your gear?
Old 11-04-2008, 01:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DavidEllzey

Dave
I don't have any personal experience with this, but it sounds like a real good start to me. From what I know about the breed of dog you have they are perfect for back country hikes. I have been looking into the same thing, but I was considering getting a Bernese Mountain Dog as my hiking partner, we currently have a couple of lap dogs and I would like to get something a little bigger to serve as a good guard dog (I work nights and my wife is home alone)/trail partner.

Originally Posted by Jeb
I'm unfamiliar with this- what does he carry? (Or what would he carry?) Your gear?
I would imagine he would carry his own water,food, and anything else he may need.
Old 11-04-2008, 04:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Along with the physical aspect, make sure that he's got good trail manners with other dogs, people, horses, etc. He has to be exceptionally well trained to voice and/or hand signals.
We do lots of camping and hiking with our pit bull mix; we schooled her at Wolfbrook before attempting any off-leash activities. We also carry a boatload of liability insurance, just in case.

fwiw, as a breed, the Aussie cattle dog is usually better with humans than other smallish animals. They make the best guard dogs and respond to bite-work very well. They're even more protective of their owners than German Shepherds.
But they like to fight with other dogs...
Old 11-04-2008, 05:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Sounds like you are doing the right thing. As stated above very important that he has good trail manners.
Old 11-04-2008, 07:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jeb
Zach will carry water if the section is dry (otherwise he loves spring and snow melt fed streams) he own food, trail treats (usually beef jerky), booties and any other dog related gear.

I haven't done the math yet to find out how many days of food he will be able to carry.

Here he is at 5 months old with empty packs:

Dave

Last edited by DavidEllzey; 11-04-2008 at 07:53 AM.
Old 11-04-2008, 07:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sum_Devl
I don't have any personal experience with this, but it sounds like a real good start to me. From what I know about the breed of dog you have they are perfect for back country hikes. I have been looking into the same thing, but I was considering getting a Bernese Mountain Dog as my hiking partner, we currently have a couple of lap dogs and I would like to get something a little bigger to serve as a good guard dog (I work nights and my wife is home alone)/trail partner.
The Bernese is a beautiful animal but you might find him too large for extended hikes. Larger breeds consume so much food that it becomes difficult past a few days, on the other hand I think it would be perfect to guard your home and wife.

Dave
Old 11-04-2008, 08:22 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

In my experience, loaded or not, a dog with access to h20 and snacks will out do u or me with no training in almost any terrain.
Old 11-04-2008, 08:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hilldweller
Along with the physical aspect, make sure that he's got good trail manners with other dogs, people, horses, etc. He has to be exceptionally well trained to voice and/or hand signals.
We do lots of camping and hiking with our pit bull mix; we schooled her at Wolfbrook before attempting any off-leash activities. We also carry a boatload of liability insurance, just in case.

fwiw, as a breed, the Aussie cattle dog is usually better with humans than other smallish animals. They make the best guard dogs and respond to bite-work very well. They're even more protective of their owners than German Shepherds.
But they like to fight with other dogs...
So far he is being home schooled. This spring he will be taken an enrolled in classes. Too bad WolfBrook is so far away, they look great.

We haven't and never will take him off lead on the trail, no matter how remote we are. Not only is it incredibly irresponsible to any other hikers you may encounter but its dangerous to the dog too in the deep wilderness. They expend energy they will need, burn calories you may not have with you to replace, if water is in short supply they risk dehydration and the risk of injury is substantial. That said, we do take him off lead if we set up camp in a remote and well off trail spot. So far he responses to come, sit, down, stay and heel so it works out well.

Dave

Quick Reply: Long Distance Dog Hiking