Notices
Camping & Hiking General discussion forum regarding all things camping or hiking including hiking trails, great places to camp, camping or hiking gear and anything related to hiking or camping.

Roof Top Tent Recommendation

Old 06-05-2015, 05:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roof Top Tent Recommendation

I'm just starting a trailer build (thread to come) and I've been researching roof top tents. There does not appear to much information out there that is current. Most links are dead, companies have folded and data is just stale.

There appears to be a small number of mfg's remaining with products available in the U.S., including Arb, Tepui and Smittybuilt (although I never hear much of anything good about them in general).

Question is: Does anyone here use one? If so, what's your thoughts and recommendations?
Old 06-05-2015, 05:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

CVT seems to make a hell of a nice tent
The Best Roof Top Tents -RTT's for Truck's-Car's-SUV's and Off-Road Trailers-Cascadia Vehicle Tents | Cascadia Vehicle Roof Top Tents
Old 06-07-2015, 11:06 PM
JK Super Freak

There are a lot of options available out there. Personally, I went with a Tepui because the function and price point was what I was looking for. There are better and there are worse quality RTTs, but I have been impressed with my Tepui and with their customer service.

The link below is a treasure trove of info that you may find helpful.

Roof Top Tents and Awnings - Expedition Portal
Old 06-08-2015, 03:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Has anyone tried the Smitty tent?
Old 06-13-2015, 07:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

I thought Tepui was top of the line. I had a conversation with them regarding their pop up line of tents and was impressed that they have moved manufacturing out of China and into the states due to minor quality control issues. This alone could be the sway point for me.

I'm also interested to hear feedback on the Smitttybuilt, which appears to be lower quality and lower price.
Old 06-13-2015, 09:27 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Desert Snow
I thought Tepui was top of the line. I had a conversation with them regarding their pop up line of tents and was impressed that they have moved manufacturing out of China and into the states due to minor quality control issues. This alone could be the sway point for me.

I'm also interested to hear feedback on the Smitttybuilt, which appears to be lower quality and lower price.
I've had quite a few conversations with Tepui and their customer service is outstanding. They've always been very responsive to my random questions.
Old 06-14-2015, 02:52 AM
JK Newbie

Another vote for Tepui here. Customer service is outstanding with a quality product. I have the Autana model. Check out the 'Sky' versions. Wish I had one.
Old 06-14-2015, 05:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Sky version looks awesome. It's a nice feature to have a view out the top even through the rain fly.

Only downside is that availability is low.
Old 06-16-2015, 06:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have had a few, some mentioned above but the CVT tent is my favorite. I really think they are all about the same thing. CVT was priced better and included some things that the others charged extra for. My current tent is the McKinley I think. It is the biggest CVT had to offer. It sleeps four adults easily up top.
Old 07-06-2015, 06:13 PM
JK Newbie

Has anyone looked at or own the ARB SERIES III SIMPSON ROOFTOP TENT? I've been looking at the Tepui Kukenam Ruggedized but started looking at the ARB and kinda like this one now. On You Tube, it seem like a lot of people have the ARB so someone here should have one. ? It's like the more you look the harder it is to pull the trigger on something. I watched a video earlier on the Gordigear RTT's and they bring up some good points to look out for. So now what to do???

Quick Reply: Roof Top Tent Recommendation