Notices
Camping & Hiking General discussion forum regarding all things camping or hiking including hiking trails, great places to camp, camping or hiking gear and anything related to hiking or camping.

Sleeping in the JK

Old 12-03-2009, 06:59 PM
DJG
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

db1,

I can say that the bed system I made is really good. Perhaps better than an air mattress. The even level of the boards allows me to store all sorts of thing. I've used it for a year now, and it's just right.

DG
Old 12-03-2009, 07:00 PM
DJG
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Smopho
You just simplified my life, Thank You! I was contemplating doing this exact same thing, but your's is better than my mental prototype. It's off to the lumberyard for me tomorrow.
Smopho,

Did you ever complete this project?

DG
Old 12-06-2009, 03:32 PM
db1
JK Enthusiast

Hey DJG,

Are you sleeping back there by yourself? Can you fit 2 people?
Old 12-06-2009, 04:03 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mskh20
I've also thought about trying to hang a hammock from the windshield frame to the back of the JK. I'm not exactly petite though, so I would probably end up imploding the JK.
Old 12-06-2009, 04:17 PM
DJG
JK Newbie

Db1,

I've slept alone and had company. Both dog and human. Cozy, but plenty of room. The cool thing is I leave it in all th time. If I have passengers for the back, I just lift the board(s). They stack flat behind the rear seats, taking up no room. It's pretty cool.
Old 03-20-2010, 07:07 PM
JK Newbie

I've camped a lot of nights in my 4-door. I'm about 5'8" and if I put the passenger seat forward I can "stretch" out, not including my arms. It works pretty well, but I've noticed it's *way* colder than if I was in a tent. A few nights in single-digit weather and you may notice that the windows and anything metal inside becomes really, really cold.

I was thinking of using something like a bivy sack or something to keep a little air pocket separate from the air inside the rest of the jeep. I'm probably going to end up with a rooftop tent instead.
Old 09-28-2017, 07:40 AM
JK Newbie

Default Sleeping in the JK

Inspired by DG's Sleeping in the JK post, I wanted to share a similar setup for camping in my JK.

I built a 2X4 frame for the sleeping platform.

I had Lowe's rip a sheet of 3/4" plywood to 41" and cut it in half so I could haul it in my JK.

The hardest part of the build was cutting the rear of the platform to match the contour of the tailgate area. That is just trial and error; measuring and cutting, and then cutting again to make it look right.

I then cut the platform at 34 1/4" long. I used that piece as a template for the next piece, so the cargo area will be completely covered when folded up.

I screwed the the first piece of plywood to the frame making sure the frame was centered and pushed against the bask of the seats while they were in the upright position. I set the rear piece back 3/4" from the front of the frame to allow for a ledge that the front piece will rest on.

I had to cut out an opening to fit around the console in the front piece of plywood. I made sure my cargo area of my platform was exactly where I wanted it and measured to the console and subtracted an inch for clearance. Then I measured the width of the console. I then just found the center of the plywood and measured off half the width of my console, plus an added inch in each direction for clearance.

The total length of the platform is 68 1/2" or 5' 7" at its longest point, I am a little over 6' tall. I move the front seats all the way up and set the recline all the way forward so that the rear seat headrests will not have to be folded up. With the added twin size foam mattress pad ($35 at Walmart) and sleeping with my head toward the tailgate, I have room to sleep comfortably on the passenger's side while my wife sleeps on the driver's side.

Here is a link to the album: https://imgur.com/a/vkaXA

Click image for larger version

Name:	zbfmfFG.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	1.62 MB
ID:	675133Click image for larger version

Name:	EhKGgvU.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	569.0 KB
ID:	675134Click image for larger version

Name:	HPDqTBy.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	374.2 KB
ID:	675135Click image for larger version

Name:	95oxPHX.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	556.6 KB
ID:	675136Click image for larger version

Name:	9dTx7hL.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	547.4 KB
ID:	675137Click image for larger version

Name:	r8JTs8h.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	641.3 KB
ID:	675138
Old 09-29-2017, 06:04 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,822 Likes on 1,592 Posts

Originally Posted by WarEagleTW2
Inspired by DG's Sleeping in the JK post, I wanted to share a similar setup for camping in my JK.

I built a 2X4 frame for the sleeping platform.

I had Lowe's rip a sheet of 3/4" plywood to 41" and cut it in half so I could haul it in my JK.

The hardest part of the build was cutting the rear of the platform to match the contour of the tailgate area. That is just trial and error; measuring and cutting, and then cutting again to make it look right.

I then cut the platform at 34 1/4" long. I used that piece as a template for the next piece, so the cargo area will be completely covered when folded up.

I screwed the the first piece of plywood to the frame making sure the frame was centered and pushed against the bask of the seats while they were in the upright position. I set the rear piece back 3/4" from the front of the frame to allow for a ledge that the front piece will rest on.

I had to cut out an opening to fit around the console in the front piece of plywood. I made sure my cargo area of my platform was exactly where I wanted it and measured to the console and subtracted an inch for clearance. Then I measured the width of the console. I then just found the center of the plywood and measured off half the width of my console, plus an added inch in each direction for clearance.

The total length of the platform is 68 1/2" or 5' 7" at its longest point, I am a little over 6' tall. I move the front seats all the way up and set the recline all the way forward so that the rear seat headrests will not have to be folded up. With the added twin size foam mattress pad ($35 at Walmart) and sleeping with my head toward the tailgate, I have room to sleep comfortably on the passenger's side while my wife sleeps on the driver's side.

Here is a link to the album: https://imgur.com/a/vkaXA

Attachment 675133Attachment 675134Attachment 675135Attachment 675136Attachment 675137Attachment 675138
Tell me you went ahead and hinged that at the 2x4 so that you have a rear storage trunk as well. If not, you are only getting half the function out of your effort . The rear storage "trunk" is one of the best things I've done, and provides a place to carry trail tools and such while keeping them secured. For me, I found 2x4 to not be quite enough height. I used 2x6 and shaved an inch off to end up with 2x5, then used the existing tie down bolts to secure it to the tub. Few pics -

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...mc?usp=sharing

I don't have it fully loaded in those pics, but I can get all of my tools under that. The only drawback in my current design is if the sleep platform is folded out, I can't raise the rear storage lid very far before I'm stressing the hinges.

Last edited by resharp001; 09-29-2017 at 06:10 AM.

Quick Reply: Sleeping in the JK