Notices
Camping & Hiking General discussion forum regarding all things camping or hiking including hiking trails, great places to camp, camping or hiking gear and anything related to hiking or camping.

towing jk behind rv

Old 05-19-2010, 03:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BIG RED BUBBA
just thought about this, when i tried to tow my jeep behind my truck, i needed to leave the key in and have the car in the on position. you can also disconnect the battery but the key still needs to be in due to the steering wheel lock. there is another thread about disengaging the locking steering wheel pin.
need to read up on how to do that my self.
Check out the thread under Jk Write-ups "08 JK Steering Wheel Locking Pin Removal" A guy named "2ND AMEND" started it & got it done. Seem's pretty hard & I am worried it might re-engage while towing. I'll just keep the battery DC'd and the key in it!
Old 06-10-2012, 08:15 AM
JK Freak

anyone have a pic of that curry plate connected to a blue ox or equiv "all terrain" tow bar ?
I've got a '12 sport and id like to add a winch to the factory bumper (crazy maybe).

everything ive seen out there uses the same mount points as my dinghy base plates (frame extension behind the bumper).

Im wondering what that curry plate looks like ON a wrangler.

I was Temporarily running magnetic lights (theyre for-sale, used 3 times) until i could get the factory lighting wired up....
i bought the factory (mopar) harness....and didnt like the plug they used up front (and their dinghy to coach 7 pin plug was too short, for my liking)....i dont recommend the mopar harness for those reasons....would have been nice (and easier) if mopar used standard tow plug coloring !

Ive changed the connector (6 pin) and mounted it under the wrangler bumper...and made a longer dinghy to coach cable....1st tow w/ this new (outlet set up) next weekend.

I kept the factory plugs behind the bumper - 'case the next owner wants to go back to the OE set up.
Keeping the factory plug gave me the added wiring (that mopar cheaped out on) to move the outlet & cable closer to the drivers side.

heres a few pictures

Old 06-10-2012, 08:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by UnlmtdJKRubi
I tow my unlimited on a 18' flat bed car hauler. Broken axles, suspension and steering parts, can make flat towing difficult. If you flat tow and use the jeep off road I highly recommend a car hauler. Broken jeeps just don't flat tow well behind motorhomes.
agreed if you have a break then you can still travel home.
Old 06-10-2012, 12:03 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by UnlmtdJKRubi
I tow my unlimited on a 18' flat bed car hauler. Broken axles, suspension and steering parts, can make flat towing difficult. If you flat tow and use the jeep off road I highly recommend a car hauler. Broken jeeps just don't flat tow well behind motorhomes.
towing on a trailer isnt practical for many - and presents other challenges.

chances are VERY slim that ill break something at any location other than an off road park...if by change the jeep is involved in an accident then im gonna make it the INSURANCE company's problem (and its gonna remain where it is, until its repaired, if it cant be flat towed)

towing a 16-18 foot (or longer) trailer means you'll very likely have to find a place to drop/leave the trailer - i dont know too many RV resorts that have 60-65 foot deep camp slots...and not too many camp grounds can (or want) to accommodate trailer slots. Other than dry camping at a race track or off road park I've encountered zero places i could drop a trailer while camping (w/ family or otherwise).

Hell i wouldnt even want to be dealing w/ my 18 foot car trailer even when i camp on my MIL's curb...65 feet of continuous (uninterrupted) curb is hard to find even in a small town neighborhood....and you can FORGET about that at any tailgate (college football) event.

Last edited by bushpilot; 06-18-2012 at 10:21 AM.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:21 AM
JK Freak

Got things cleaned up before heading out again, used my newly fab'd factory wiring harness and connection for the lights (makes picking up and dropping the dinghy much faster & cleaner) !

I had to make my own safety chains since i needed the better part of 6 feet....Grade 70 chain & Clevis Latch Hooks might be over kill but i prefer to be safe

Old 07-19-2012, 04:36 PM
JK Newbie

Default Towed mine a lot of miles this way

I use a draw tight tow bar and have towed my 2010 JK many-a mile this way.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0965_Crop.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	343134
Old 07-20-2012, 08:18 AM
JK Newbie

Here's the Currie plate when I had it mounted on my 2011.

Name:	DSC_0008.JPG
Views:	571
Size:	17.8 KB
ID:	343416

Here's it in action using a Blue Ox Aventa towbar.

Name:	DSC00269.JPG
Views:	546
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	343422

Now I have an LoD front bumper with the Blue Ox towbar tabs welded in.

Name:	0720120904a.jpg
Views:	514
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	343434

Jeff

Originally Posted by bushpilot
anyone have a pic of that curry plate connected to a blue ox or equiv "all terrain" tow bar ?
I've got a '12 sport and id like to add a winch to the factory bumper (crazy maybe).

everything ive seen out there uses the same mount points as my dinghy base plates (frame extension behind the bumper).

Im wondering what that curry plate looks like ON a wrangler.

I was Temporarily running magnetic lights (theyre for-sale, used 3 times) until i could get the factory lighting wired up....
i bought the factory (mopar) harness....and didnt like the plug they used up front (and their dinghy to coach 7 pin plug was too short, for my liking)....i dont recommend the mopar harness for those reasons....would have been nice (and easier) if mopar used standard tow plug coloring !

Ive changed the connector (6 pin) and mounted it under the wrangler bumper...and made a longer dinghy to coach cable....1st tow w/ this new (outlet set up) next weekend.

I kept the factory plugs behind the bumper - 'case the next owner wants to go back to the OE set up.
Keeping the factory plug gave me the added wiring (that mopar cheaped out on) to move the outlet & cable closer to the drivers side.

heres a few pictures

Old 07-20-2012, 01:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

I don't have any pictures to post with this, but if anyone wants I can dig some up and post.

I use the Currie Tow Bar Mounting Plate
Along with the ReadyBrute Surge Brake Tow Bar System

The ReadyBrake system runs a cable from the front of the Jeep (mounted one end on the Currie) to the break pedal arm inside the jeep. On the Tow Bar is a surge arm with a cantilever, when towing you connect the cantilever to the cable on the front of the jeep and when you slow the motorhome the surge arm engages and pulls the cable connected to the break pedal. So it uses the Jeep's own breaking system.

Since the jeep is lifted and running 37" tires I had a custom receiver built to raise it up on the back end of the motorhome a good 12" or more.

Pros:
ReadyBrute stays connected to motorhome and has a hook to hold it up and out of the way.
Breaking works very smooth
Easy to connect to Jeep even with one person (arms telescope and self lock)
No fus connecting like some of the other units I have used like the BreakBuddy or Road Master systems (not that they are bad)

Cons:
Not cheep
Might require some professional help to install break cables
Old 02-10-2013, 09:39 AM
JK Newbie

Default Backing up issues

I have towed cross country 3 times with the RV. I have always flat towed. The problem with flat towing is backing up! Unless there is someone in the tow vehicle to stear the car in the right direction it will go its own way. With a trailer you can back up with no issues (depending on your skills) because the pivot point is at the hitch, with a flat tow there are two pivot points, the hitch and the front wheels of the tow vehicle. I have only backed up twice while flat towing for emergency reasons and it was straight back for a short distance. Another late post but I just joined recently. I will also be setting up my new rig for flat towing, plan on getting the wiring harness, and will investigate the brake issue.
Old 05-07-2016, 05:21 AM
JK Newbie

Default I just bought a class C RV and also have a 2009 Jeep Wrangler Sport

Good morning JK haulers. I just bought a class C RV and also have a 2009 Jeep Wrangler Sport (4-door) automatic to tow behind. I would like to set up for "flat tow" with all 4 wheels down. I've been doing a lot of research to learn about what is involved with flat towing so I might have lots of questions as our dialogue continues. I don't want to make an expensive mistake by damaging the Jeep or the RV. My RV is the Forest Sunseeker 2860 which is built on a Ford F450 frame and drive train with the 10-cylinder gas engine. My Jeep has been modified with 2.5 inch lift and steel front bumper. The bumper is a E-Autogrilles 51-0309 07-16 Jeep Wrangler JK Rock Crawler Front Bumper with 3-3 in D-Ring 4.75 ton capacity each. I'm trying to figure out what I will need to do to tow this vehicle. Thank you for your time.

Wolfhound127

Quick Reply: towing jk behind rv