Notices
Camping & Hiking General discussion forum regarding all things camping or hiking including hiking trails, great places to camp, camping or hiking gear and anything related to hiking or camping.

What is your favorite camping gear?

Old 04-21-2016, 02:27 PM
JK Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I have a 40qt thermoelectric colman cooler, I have a few mods done to it now, I have a few more to go. Airflow is essential for these to work correctly. I pulled off the covers and I am putting a duct on the internal fan, I think I'm going to mount a bigger fan on the outside too. and maybe the inside. RIght now tho, it cools my cans of drinks until there is ice in them. Perfect. The major downside to this unit is that its super power hungry. I am still trying to find a suitable solar system to run it off. It fits perfect in the right hand side of the rear of the jeep too. Another thing to keep the cold going is add some Icepaks. colman has icebags. I line the bottom with them, and also add a couple on top. Then with some insulation blanket inside, it should be good for a few days of running.
Old 06-08-2016, 05:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Vintage 1970 SVEA backpacking stove, Lodge cast iron fry pan, Kelty Noah 16 tarp, a UCO candle lantern, and a Springfield Arms 45.
Old 06-08-2016, 06:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just picked this up from smoke hollow grill company for $60. It's SS, fold up, and has 305 sq inch cooking surface. I'm getting stuff little by little for the family camping trips. Looking now for a m101 or m416 to get the overlander XL tent that sleeps 4 from smittybilt. But for right now I have tent that sleeps 6-8 people and will use that until I find the deal. Lol Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4212885857.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	649107

Last edited by Muddywaters; 06-08-2016 at 06:37 AM.
Old 11-12-2016, 12:32 PM
JK Newbie

I have that same grill. seems way too easy to go camping with such a good cooker :P also love bringing an army of hydroflasks. Crazy how long water will stay cold or hot in these things.
Old 11-12-2016, 05:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by flypitcher
I have that same grill. seems way too easy to go camping with such a good cooker :P also love bringing an army of hydroflasks. Crazy how long water will stay cold or hot in these things.
Yea it is. lol I also just picked up some flasks from Artic cooler. 2, 36oz and 2, 64 oz. just incase lol. I have two boys and they drink water like crazy. Not to mention 2 2 gallon Rotopax water tanks also.
Old 10-16-2019, 02:26 AM
JK Newbie

Hi,

A couple of weeks ago I purchased a new cooler but I am not that happy with it. It is the Igloo 3 Day Marine Cooler (48qt). The walls weren't very thick and they seemed to be the same as a less expensive cooler. I paid $39.99 for it at Dick's Sporting Goods.

Throughout the 3 days I used it I had to add lots of ice and drain tons of water. It was in the shade most of the time.

Does anyone know of a cooler about the same size that performs well for about 3 days (and also has a drain plug)?. I found this article https://under-the-open-sky.com/best-...s-for-camping/ it's cool but I'm newbie in camping.

Thank you for your help. Any thoughts or info would be great.

Last edited by Ttan; 10-28-2019 at 11:09 PM.

Quick Reply: What is your favorite camping gear?