Notices
East Coast If you live in the Mid-Atlantic area (Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, Maryland, Delaware, DC, Virginia, West Virginia, North Carolina and South Carolina) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Official VA Thread

Old 06-11-2017, 05:57 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hafaday
How goes it?

Not sure if you are speaking of Shoe Creek, or something else. Shoe Creek has been shut down for awhile now. New land owner got real tired of people venturing off the trail on to other obstacles on his land. even after putting up signs. so he shut it down.

I did find this talking about how far you can get now.

Shoe Creek Trail Closure Exploratory Run | Capital Off Road Enthusiasts, Inc.

~Bill
Thanks for the heads up, I had seen the article by the Core guys but heard it was still worth the drive in and back out.

How far away is that trail from other trails? Is there any others that would make for a good weekend trip without wasting to much drive time in between? I would hate to drive 5hours for just an hour on a trail.
Old 06-12-2017, 09:09 AM
JK Newbie

Default Inbound to Langley

I will be moving to Langley in August, looking for where the good schools are and to hook up for some good rides.
Old 06-15-2017, 05:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jenks
Thanks for the heads up, I had seen the article by the Core guys but heard it was still worth the drive in and back out.

How far away is that trail from other trails? Is there any others that would make for a good weekend trip without wasting to much drive time in between? I would hate to drive 5hours for just an hour on a trail.
Sorry for the late reply.

Big levels/Bald mountain is not to far from Shoe creek (top side of Shoe creek being, Crabtree falls and accessed from Crabtree falls hwy. and Meadow rd.). You said stock trucks... I don't wanna say yes or no will they make it. Bald Mtn. has several sandy mud holes and can also be tight in places. very few places to pull over to let on coming vehicles pass.

This map does not have Shoe creek listed but does show some other trails.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...Tb_uU40_Q&z=16

Last edited by Hafaday; 06-15-2017 at 05:40 AM.
Old 06-15-2017, 05:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jmpett31
I will be moving to Langley in August, looking for where the good schools are and to hook up for some good rides.
I couldn't tell ya. Best bet would be to try and make contact with these two jeep clubs which are down that way, or have members in that area.

https://www.meetup.com/Hampton-Roads-Jeep-Club/

Middle Peninsula Jeep Association Inc. - Middle Peninsula Jeep Association Inc.

I found this thread on a different forum I frequent. Not to sure it will help you tho.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f74/nor...a-1590594.html

Last edited by Hafaday; 06-15-2017 at 05:38 AM.
Old 06-18-2017, 12:57 PM
JK Newbie

As of right now I am tentatively planning on making a run up to Flagpole Knob on Friday Jun 23rd with the intent to camp two nights. Was planning on leaving the NE NC area around 7-8am and heading up Dunkle Hollow rd. As of right now it will just be myself and my son in my Jeep and a coworker in his Tundra.

If anyone is interested shoot me a message. All are welcome, not planning on any hard core wheeling just a couple good nights in the woods and some exploring.
Old 06-18-2017, 07:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

As of right now I am tentatively planning on making a run up to Flagpole Knob on Friday Jun 23rd with the intent to camp two nights. Was planning on leaving the NE NC area around 7-8am and heading up Dunkle Hollow rd. As of right now it will just be myself and my son in my Jeep and a coworker in his Tundra.

If anyone is interested shoot me a message. All are welcome, not planning on any hard core wheeling just a couple good nights in the woods and some exploring.
Cool, Have fun. I'd join you all but have to work that weekend.

I took the Wife, youngest daughter and dog for a ride up to Reddish Knob (all asphalt). Also not to far from Flag Pole. Both pix from the same spot

Looking east into VA.

Looking west into WVA. If you look closely in the middle of the picture, you will see an opening with white things. That is a Navy, radar listening station approx 10 miles out.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Re...417043!5m1!1e4

Flag pole (85A, to 85) to 924 (Briery Branch rd.) Is all trail. 85 from 924 to reddish knob is hard ball and narrow. you can pass, but someone is in the weeds. hopefully the link works.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Flag...623453!5m1!1e4

Last edited by Hafaday; 06-18-2017 at 07:43 PM.
Old 07-06-2017, 03:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

How'd the trip go?
Old 07-06-2017, 03:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Checkn' in.
Old 07-06-2017, 04:02 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Bill what's up with Big Levels? I have the summer off and I've got friends that have left town so.....I'm bored and want to go. I know it isn't extreme but I've not heard much on it recently.

Also, looking to head to URE July 22/23 depending on the weather
Old 07-07-2017, 02:53 AM
JK Newbie

I'd be down for trail run the last weekend in July.

Quick Reply: Official VA Thread