Notices
East Coast If you live in the Mid-Atlantic area (Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, Maryland, Delaware, DC, Virginia, West Virginia, North Carolina and South Carolina) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Trails in Pennsylvania

Old 10-22-2008, 12:53 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would love to check it out. It is a little far for me, but something I could do as a weekend trip. Maybe a little camping and such, let me know if you plan a trail ride out there, I am in.
Old 10-22-2008, 02:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

where is this place(Casparis?)is it something i could do as an over night trip?what kind of wheeling is it mostly trails and mud ? rocks ect
Old 10-22-2008, 03:00 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by lijeepguy
where is this place(Casparis?)is it something i could do as an over night trip?what kind of wheeling is it mostly trails and mud ? rocks ect
It is in Fayette County, PA but other than that, I am not sure. You can google Fayette County, PA and google maps will show you the general location.
Old 10-22-2008, 03:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

I wish we had more free places to wheel around here. I'm only 30mins. from RC, but I'm not made of money and till I get done paying for gas, and my entry fee, plus the fee's for my gf and her little guy, I can see it getting expensive. And I get the urge to go wheeling every weekend, so that would add up after awhile. Good thing I quit smoking, huh? I get so jealous of these guys out west. They have so many places to wheel out there, and it doesn't cost you anything to get in.
Old 10-22-2008, 03:46 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by afoulk
I wish we had more free places to wheel around here. I'm only 30mins. from RC, but I'm not made of money and till I get done paying for gas, and my entry fee, plus the fee's for my gf and her little guy, I can see it getting expensive. And I get the urge to go wheeling every weekend, so that would add up after awhile. Good thing I quit smoking, huh? I get so jealous of these guys out west. They have so many places to wheel out there, and it doesn't cost you anything to get in.
I totally hear ya' on that. I am sure there are places, but we just don't know them. When I was younger I would always find trails off the sides of back roads. I never had an issue with land owners or the police. I just don't know this area well enough to know where to go. R.C. is a little further away for me, but even that would not be such an issue, but I agree the entry fee is a little steep to go often. I just don't understand why there are not places everywhere, this is PA with tons of wilderness, you would think there would be plenty of places to go.

I would LOVE to be out west, but the cost of living in California is insane, and I don't think I could deal with being anywhere else out there.
Old 10-22-2008, 04:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by acelockco
I would LOVE to be out west, but the cost of living in California is insane, and I don't think I could deal with being anywhere else out there.
Peter and I lived in So Cal when we met and were married... At that time we were both renters(with really good jobs) and we were kicking ourselves for not getting into the So Cal real estate market earlier. We found that together, with us both working, all we could afford was a 35 year old 2 bedroom/1 bathroom townhouse with a carport for one vehicle... and with that, we would have needed both of us working...

Here in PA, we have a nice, new, 4/5 bedroom home on close to 2 acres and I get to be a stay at home Mom. I miss my friends and family, but this is the best for us... AND, Peter is from Vermont originally and really didn't like CA anyway. He is much happier here.
Old 10-22-2008, 04:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by acelockco
I totally hear ya' on that. I am sure there are places, but we just don't know them. When I was younger I would always find trails off the sides of back roads. I never had an issue with land owners or the police.
My Grandma lives in Hopewell, PA (kind of south central pa). When we look at the map, there are these really faint 'roads' marked as Jeep Trails. It looks like one of them is right at the end of her street. We would love to try them out one of these days, but are unsure about whether or not they are 'legal' to ride on. Does anyone know? How would or maybe better yet, who would you ask if they are legal?
Old 10-22-2008, 05:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jeep Mama
My Grandma lives in Hopewell, PA (kind of south central pa). When we look at the map, there are these really faint 'roads' marked as Jeep Trails. It looks like one of them is right at the end of her street. We would love to try them out one of these days, but are unsure about whether or not they are 'legal' to ride on. Does anyone know? How would or maybe better yet, who would you ask if they are legal?
I was always under the assumption that if there were no signs posted stating otherwise, then you were pretty much ok. I know you can look up the satelite view of Old State Rd. here in the Swatara area, and it shows all kinds of little trails branching off of it, but unfortunately, when you actually drive up there, you find that the trails are either posted that no motor vehicles are allowed, or they are hiking trails.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:35 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by afoulk
I was always under the assumption that if there were no signs posted stating otherwise, then you were pretty much ok. I know you can look up the satelite view of Old State Rd. here in the Swatara area, and it shows all kinds of little trails branching off of it, but unfortunately, when you actually drive up there, you find that the trails are either posted that no motor vehicles are allowed, or they are hiking trails.
i thought the same thing when i went to Centralia PA, but I think i was wrong... considering that i posted a short ride report and it was removed because someone thought it was "illegal"... when i was there, as soon as i encountered a No Trespassing or No Motor Vehicles Allowed sign, i turned around.... i followed others that were wheeling and/or exploring the area. no one seemed to have a problem when we were there.

long story short... be careful where you go. if someone asks you to leave, do so without argument or question. if you encounter a "no trespassing" sign... turn back. and be respectful of where you are
Old 10-22-2008, 08:18 PM
JK Freak

How is Centralia for wheeling? I was thinking about going up there a few weeks back because someone posted a video of them off roading out there. Maybe it was you, anyway I am not that far from there and thought it would be a cool place to check out.

Quick Reply: Trails in Pennsylvania