Notices
East Coast If you live in the Mid-Atlantic area (Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, Maryland, Delaware, DC, Virginia, West Virginia, North Carolina and South Carolina) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Trails in Pennsylvania

Old 10-22-2008, 09:49 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeep Mama
Do you have any interest in Casparis? We went last fall with some people from the forum. We stayed overnight in a hotel, but Jeepin Dad has made the trip there and back in 1 day. I'd enjoy going there again sometime.

here are some pics

that's me in the last photo!

yeah, Casparis is a fun place. Not much rock crawling, but there's plenty of mud and off camber spots. plus the trails get very narrow and twisting at points. Plus there a few spots where you get so tilted it feels like you'll roll over.

the camera is level with my dash but looky how the trees are tilted... give's ya an idea how much lean there can be... (oh and isn't the crack in my window lovely?)

and a few more random's from Casparis...

Originally Posted by acelockco
I would love to check it out. It is a little far for me, but something I could do as a weekend trip. Maybe a little camping and such, let me know if you plan a trail ride out there, I am in.
I'm trying to work it out to make it up there for a day trip in late november, if not, it'll have to wait till late Jan or Feb. Camping up there has to be done at the camp resorts. it used to be ok to camp in the woods, but not anymore. well i think it was ok at one point years ago...

Originally Posted by lijeepguy
where is this place(Casparis?)is it something i could do as an over night trip?what kind of wheeling is it mostly trails and mud ? rocks ect
It is in Fayette County, PA but other than that, I am not sure. You can google Fayette County, PA and google maps will show you the general location.

well, really... you can just do a google map search for "Casparis, PA" and it'll put you in the woods a little south east of Connellsville, PA. Its an old mining town that shut down back in the 50's i think and now its a whole network of trails back there. its a lot of fun, and the trails can get rather challanging. I haven't had a person yet say Casparis wasn't fun.
Old 10-23-2008, 04:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Alex -
Our November is getting really full.

We are planning on going to Raush Creek again on Nov. 8th. We have a Thanksgiving trip planned in Western PA. But then the following week is the start of hunting season and Peter will be otherwise occupied...

A spring trip to Casparis sounds like fun to me = you just have to hang on to your Jeep a little longer...
Old 10-23-2008, 05:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Isn't centralia burning up. It has been a long time since I was there but from I remember it was pretty bad and most of the houses were condemned because of the fire underground.
Old 10-23-2008, 05:58 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by kashlak
Isn't centralia burning up. It has been a long time since I was there but from I remember it was pretty bad and most of the houses were condemned because of the fire underground.
Yep, that is what makes it a cool place to visit!
Old 10-23-2008, 06:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah a cool place to visit but it is reallllly stinky. I remember going through there everytime we went to Knobels. I am orginally from PA so I am very familiar with these places. Miss the mountains and scenery.
Old 10-23-2008, 07:27 AM
JK Super Freak

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Jeep Mama
Hi Alex -
Our November is getting really full.

We are planning on going to Raush Creek again on Nov. 8th. We have a Thanksgiving trip planned in Western PA. But then the following week is the start of hunting season and Peter will be otherwise occupied...

A spring trip to Casparis sounds like fun to me = you just have to hang on to your Jeep a little longer...

yeah, my november is slowly getting booked as well. a group of us are going to Rausch on black friday. that way we'll avoid all those idiots in the stores .

but i understand with the hunting. Its one of the reasons i won't go into Casparis between December and mid feb. i've heard of jeeps getting shot at while roaming that area during hunting season.

but a spring run would be nice. and who knows what'll happen with my jeep by then... it might be gone and replaced with a nice TJ...
Old 10-23-2008, 08:18 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by atomicmecha
yeah, my november is slowly getting booked as well. a group of us are going to Rausch on black friday. that way we'll avoid all those idiots in the stores .

but i understand with the hunting. Its one of the reasons i won't go into Casparis between December and mid feb. i've heard of jeeps getting shot at while roaming that area during hunting season.

but a spring run would be nice. and who knows what'll happen with my jeep by then... it might be gone and replaced with a nice TJ...
Yea' getting shot is not too good

And hopefully my JK is lifted and ready for some tougher trails by spring as well.

Are you looking to get rid of your JK and buy a TJ? Why would you want to do that?
Old 10-24-2008, 11:21 AM
JK Super Freak

Exclamation

Are you looking to get rid of your JK and buy a TJ? Why would you want to do that?

long story short... the insurance and car payments on a 10k-12k TJ will be a LOT lower then the insurance and car payments on a 36k JK.
Old 10-24-2008, 11:46 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by atomicmecha
long story short... the insurance and car payments on a 10k-12k TJ will be a LOT lower then the insurance and car payments on a 36k JK.
I hear you on the payments! As far as insurance, you might be shocked. Our insurance actually went down on our new JK compared to our old car. I think it is because the JK has side air bags but I might be wrong. Anyway, no complaints, and we actually upped the coverage.
Old 10-25-2008, 05:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

as far as parks go there is rausch creek, one out towards state college and a new one (that hasn t opened yet) out towards pittsburgh.

there is also a place by lenhardtsville but it is private and have to now some people to get in there. never been there but from what i here it is very hard core wheelin very close to rock creek at rausch.

there are other places but a dirt road (to me anyway) isn t wheelin. blue marsh used to be a good place to go muddin but the put up signs now for no vehicles.

reading anthricite is a good place too but they only sell 1000 passes and they are $100 each. from what i understand that place is just dirt roads as well, maybe a few places with harder terrain. one of my coworkers has quite a few acres of land up by 81 and 901 and they take dune buggies in there, but there wheelin is different from ours.

i am also from tioga county (westfield, pa) near wellsboro, but there isnt much up there either. in the winter you might be able to run some pipelines with the snowmobiles but make sure the trail is packed because some places get deep. the asaph and a couple other places have access roads but that is it.

pm and i ll give you one more good place in reading from what i hear.

Quick Reply: Trails in Pennsylvania