Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3.8 Engine swap from Automatic into Manual

Old 08-16-2017, 01:07 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3.8 Engine swap from Automatic into Manual

Got hold of a 3.8 from same year 2011 JKU Sahara to drop into my JK Sport. I'm probably in way over my head but I'm going to make a run at pulling the existing paper weight and dropping in the most likely soon to be paper weight. I figure I have nothing to lose and by the grace of God and careful planning, may even work.

My question comes in as I don't know what to expect or need regarding the transmission. Mine is a manual, the new to me engine came out of an automatic. What am going to need to do to make the swap happen. In my mind, I should be able to just look at the two side by side, and flip over whatever I need so the new looks like the old when it comes time to bolt it back in. Seems simple enough but can't imagine that will be the case.

What am I missing there?
Old 08-16-2017, 03:20 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Yep, just move over your manual components to the back side of the motor and you'll be set.

Are the motors from the same year JK or do you have a different year than the Sahara?
Old 08-17-2017, 07:45 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by karls10jk
Yep, just move over your manual components to the back side of the motor and you'll be set.

Are the motors from the same year JK or do you have a different year than the Sahara?
Nope , same year.

Good news is guy I'm doing it with has same year as well, so hopefully, monkey see, monkey do.

I was encouraged by someone to replace the rear main seal prior to installation, anything else anyone would recommend while everything is easily accessible?

Quick Reply: 3.8 Engine swap from Automatic into Manual