Notices
JK Wheels and Tires For all questions and answers concerning Wheels and Tires for Jeep JKs.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best rear bumper w/o tire carrier that will accept large wheels/tires

Old 06-22-2017, 11:19 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Best rear bumper w/o tire carrier that will accept large wheels/tires

I bought a used 2010 Jeep JK. It has an aftermarket rear bumper with swing away tire carrier. The unit does nothing but rattle.

I am thinking of going to a Teraflex tailgate tire carrier and want to get a rear bumper that looks the best and has a decent price as well as being capable of handling the larger sized wheels/tires I have on the Jeep (315-70-17). Teraflex says their tire carrier doesn't rattle! Any feedback will be appreciated!
Old 06-22-2017, 11:34 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,818 Likes on 1,588 Posts

Hey man, my dad lives right there in Florissant by you....LOL. They're off Saddleback Creek Dr.

It's hard to find someone who isn't happy with the Teraflex carrier. I like the Metalcloak carrier as well. I prefer those models vs. the hinge carriers that then attach to the tailgate via a turnbuckle.....like Ace or Crawler Conceptz. That said, I don't own any of them myself. Bumpers are going to be very subjective on what you think looks good and budget. Can't go wrong with any of the name brands though. I prefer the looks of poison spyder or Crawler Conceptz on bumpers. A lot of the swing away bumper mounted carriers can be dialed in to eliminate most rattling, but I know the roads your driving up there.....and can see how that would drive you crazy!

Do you get out and do any wheelin around there? I might be up that way this summer. I've hit a lot of the nearby trails and have printed out trail maps for a lot of others I have yet to hit.
Old 06-22-2017, 01:38 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

I have a similar carrier to the Teraflex and have no issues fitting the 315/70-17 or even a 37" tire into my Genright bumper.

37" pictured. I like the way the bumper looks, but it's personal preference.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20161222_105618.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	3.17 MB
ID:	672696
Old 06-25-2017, 11:28 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks for your feedback!

Originally Posted by resharp001
Hey man, my dad lives right there in Florissant by you....LOL. They're off Saddleback Creek Dr.

It's hard to find someone who isn't happy with the Teraflex carrier. I like the Metalcloak carrier as well. I prefer those models vs. the hinge carriers that then attach to the tailgate via a turnbuckle.....like Ace or Crawler Conceptz. That said, I don't own any of them myself. Bumpers are going to be very subjective on what you think looks good and budget. Can't go wrong with any of the name brands though. I prefer the looks of poison spyder or Crawler Conceptz on bumpers. A lot of the swing away bumper mounted carriers can be dialed in to eliminate most rattling, but I know the roads your driving up there.....and can see how that would drive you crazy!

Do you get out and do any wheelin around there? I might be up that way this summer. I've hit a lot of the nearby trails and have printed out trail maps for a lot of others I have yet to hit.
I appreciate the information and perspective you provided! I am going to look into the name brand bumpers and see if I can find one within budget that I like!

We do go wheelin around this area a lot. I have my Rubicon but most wheeling so far has been with my 98 ZJ. Will go with the Rubicon when I get a few things done to it!!!
Old 06-26-2017, 01:18 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can you remove the swing out tire carrier and keep the bumper ?

The Teraflex is nice( I have had two of them) but there are some cheaper copies now from TacTik, Rugged Ridge, and Mor Ryde though I have no experience with them

Quick Reply: Best rear bumper w/o tire carrier that will accept large wheels/tires