Notices
Forum Support Please post Jeep questions in the technical forums. If you're new to JK-Forum and have questions on how to post photographs, use the search function for optimal results, modify your signature or profile, resolve issues you might be having logging in or just about anything else including where to find newbie JK FAQ's, this is the place to start!

Search Tips

Old 02-10-2008, 08:49 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Search Tips

Search Tips

1. There are multiple ways to search:

- Click on the SEARCH button at the top right and type in your search words.

- Click on the forum you want to search and then click on Search this forum just above the threads.

- Click on the thread you want to search and then click on Search this thread just above the title.

- If your search brings up several lengthy threads, try choosing Show Posts instead of Show Threads.

- Click on the SEARCH button and then click on Advanced Search.

2. Advanced Search

- The Advanced Search offers many options to help you narrow your search:

Some of the options available in the advanced search include:
-Search by username
-Search by keyword
-Search titles only
-Search by dates
-and more

Using all these options should make it easier for you to find what you are looking for.

3. Search Tips

- Minimum Word Length
The minimum word length is 3 characters, so if you try to search for a 2 letter word, the search will come up blank. You can get around this by adding an * after the word. For example, instead of searching for 33 try searching for 33*

- Wildcard Search
You may use an * added to the end of a word to act as a wildcard. For example, searching for apple* would find words such as apple, apples, or applesauce.

- Search by Phrase
To make your search more specific, use double quotes "" around a phrase, such as "lod bumper".

- Boolean Search
Boolean searches are suppported so operators such as + or - may be used before a word. If you want to search for front bumpers, you might try entering +front +bumper*. This will search for posts with both front and bumper in them as well as bumpers. Use the - in front of a word that you do NOT want to come up in your search.

Examples
The following examples demonstrate some search strings that use boolean full-text operators:

apple banana
Find rows that contain at least one of the two words.

+apple +juice
Find rows that contain both words.

+apple macintosh
Find rows that contain the word “apple”, but rank rows higher if they also contain “macintosh”.

+apple -macintosh
Find rows that contain the word “apple” but not “macintosh”.

apple*
Find rows that contain words such as “apple”, “apples”, “applesauce”, or “applet”.

"some words"
Find rows that contain the exact phrase “some words” (for example, rows that contain “some words of wisdom” but not “some noise words”).

Last edited by wayoflifette; 02-11-2008 at 05:57 PM.
The following users liked this post:
halenajulie42 (01-30-2022)
Old 04-16-2010, 08:31 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to search new layout

Any chance there is an update to this thread. I am having trouble with the Advance Search. Mostly the difference between threads and posts. I just figured it out on the old layout... I assume user error on my part... typical... thanks for everything and anything
Old 04-27-2010, 11:07 AM
JK Newbie

Probably been covered lots before. How does one search for threads which they personally have posted in? Searching for your own posts.
Old 04-27-2010, 12:25 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by jonster
Probably been covered lots before. How does one search for threads which they personally have posted in? Searching for your own posts.
Click on your name and under your profile pic there is a link for "Find all posts" & "Find all started threads."
Old 02-06-2011, 12:58 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by coffeebean
Any chance there is an update to this thread. I am having trouble with the Advance Search. Mostly the difference between threads and posts. I just figured it out on the old layout... I assume user error on my part... typical... thanks for everything and anything
if possible, I’d appreciate it also.....cheers

Quick Reply: Search Tips