Notices
Four Corners If you live in the Four Corners area (Utah, Colorado, Arizona and New Mexico) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members in your area and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Durango area suggestions needed!

Old 07-06-2012, 08:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Durango area suggestions needed!

Panning a trip to Durango in October. We traditionally go to Vallecito to fish but with a new jeep coming soon we would love to do some wheelin' in the area. Any suggestions appreciated!
Old 07-06-2012, 08:27 PM
JK Super Freak

traildamage.com

one word of advice. watch the weather reports. it snows up high in October. don't get caught in something.
Old 07-07-2012, 06:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the link!
Old 07-07-2012, 06:30 AM
JK Super Freak

No problem. I have not wheeled down there but there are a couple of trails that always get mentioned. I'll let others post those. Also we are having horrible forest fires right now and are on a statewide fire ban. Hopefully that won't affect you but check before you go. You can call/email local ranger stations for updates on all of the above.
Old 07-07-2012, 10:04 AM
JK Super Freak

one loop could be Bolam Pass to HWY 145 then Ophir Pass back to HWY 550. Bolam starts at the Durango ski area. starts in the parking lot turns into Hermosa Park then Bolam Pass. Ophir pass starts in the town of Ophir.

Silverton araa, there are several trails up in that area that even if snow is starting to fall you'll be able to explore a lot ....
one example Picayne glutch, Down to animas forks down then Cinnamon Pass to American Basin would be a good day trip.
Red Mtn pass parallels HWY 550 drives though some old mining areas but can be slippery if wet..

I would suppose the earliest in Oct you could go the better off you'll be as far as high snows go.
all these can be done with a stock 4x4.
Old 07-12-2012, 04:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

I really appreciate the info. I live in the mountains in AZ and totally understand wildfire and snow. I'm well trained in the fire aspect and have lifetime experience with snow.
I appreciate the advice and look forward to wheeling in early to mid October.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

What time of year do you think would be best to catch fall colors in the ouray/silverton area?

Quick Reply: Durango area suggestions needed!