Notices
Four Corners If you live in the Four Corners area (Utah, Colorado, Arizona and New Mexico) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members in your area and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Colorado Trip

Old 07-10-2018, 06:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Colorado Trip

Heading to Colorado for a long week of fun and adventure! Staying the 1st five days in Denver area. Sat and Sun are The Tedeschi Trucks Band in concert at Red Rocks! Monday is Jeep ride! Tuesday, rafting trip on Clear Creek. Then Wed thru Sat two of us will be backpacking on the CT while the rest of the family chills at a cabin in Twin Lakes.
Our Jeep ridding day will start early. Leaving the house in Denver around 5am and heading west. Planning on taking Schofield pass to Crystal Mill. Then turning back east and exploring our way back to Denver all day.

Any suggestions on other places to not miss on our way back to Denver? Mt passes, Ghost towns,
Old 07-10-2018, 06:52 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Not sure how far west you're going, but Ouray is a great town to visit and has several great jeep passes in the area... Ophir, Engineer, Imogene, and last but not least, the infamous Black Bear Pass.
Old 07-10-2018, 07:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Marble, Crystal Mill area is probably as far west as we are going.
Old 07-10-2018, 08:12 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,822 Likes on 1,592 Posts

I just got back from Colorado. I would caution about all the wildfires currently burning. Looking at where Schofield Pass is, you are probably in the clear, but just stay informed. It sux to ALMOST get where you're going and have long detours due to road closures (due to smoke/fire). For example, hwy 285 was closed from Fairplay way down south of Buena Vista (to the east of where you're heading) due to fire out that way. The smoke was really bad. Hopefully all that stuff is contained/out by the time you go, but just keep that in mind and stay informed what is burning and where.

I ran up to Wheeler Lake which is just north of Alma, south of Breckenridge and Hoosier Pass. Beautiful lake at 12,200 ft. May or may not be your type of wheelin. 3 miles back to the lake will take about 90 minutes (including time to poke around by old mining building and waterfalls). You can hike it too if you don't want to take jeep over the obstacles.

https://www.trailsoffroad.com/trails...heeler-lake-co

The pictures on that trail guide do not do it justice.

Waterfalls down by the trailhead in to the reservoir:

Last edited by resharp001; 07-10-2018 at 08:16 AM.
Old 07-11-2018, 05:39 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you are asking for a world of hurt if you want to go from Denver over Schofield and then back all in one day...
Old 07-17-2018, 09:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

It looks like a slight injury is going to halt the backpacking portion of our trip. Good new is more Jeep ridding! The plan now is the backpackers are going to jeep camp for 3 nights around the Ouray area. Any real good back country camping spots I could be directed to?
Old 08-15-2018, 06:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

What a great trip. Didn't make it out to Ouray area, I will next time! Way too many pictures to post them all.
(1) Mt. Evans drive
(2) RMNP
(3) Crystal Mill
(4) Lost Canyon Rd above Twin Lakes

Will post more pics later

Quick Reply: Colorado Trip