Notices
Four Corners If you live in the Four Corners area (Utah, Colorado, Arizona and New Mexico) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members in your area and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Jeeping/Hiking/Camping in Arizona?

Old 08-06-2017, 08:27 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jeeping/Hiking/Camping in Arizona?

Hi Four Corners, I hang out on the SoCal side most of the time but I'm taking a trip this Mid September to Grand Canyon NP (South Rim). My GF and I will driving my Jeep for the trip. It's fairly capable with 2.5 lift, 35s, winch, rocker guards, and on board air with some other basics.

We'll be in GCNP (camping) for 4 days and then have a few extra days after leaving the park to get back home to San Diego. I was looking for any and all suggestions for camping (maybe dispersed) and trails (Jeep and Hiking) in South West Arizona. Mostly looking for trails and cool stops. I'm trying to stay South of Grand Canyon and not go as far East as Flagstaff just for the sake of keeping the driving/travel time down.

I'm already looking into the Sedona and Prescott area (I'd like to stay in that vicinity). I've done a bit of research and found Oak Creek Canyon Natural Area looks to be a good option. I already plan on doing The West Fork Trail (unless you think otherwise). I also found Fossil Creek Waterfall Trail near Strawberry AZ may be an option too. Any cool trails or sights in Prescott, Tonto, Coconino National Forests? Mainly...anything you think we need to see, do, drive, or drink while in that general area, I want to know about it. Post here or PM me with responses. Thanks for you time and knowledge ahead of time!! Looking forward to spending some time is Arizona. I've been wanting to get back there for a few years now and it's finally happening. I'm also strongly considering moving there too.

Nick

Edit: 08/25/17
P.S. if anyone reading this thread has any spots they'd rather not tell the entire world over an online forum, feel free to PM me. I totally understand. I promise to take of your secret spot you told me about and pick up my trash. I've got tons of respect for the outdoors and other people's stuff. I know it happens all the time with off roading spots/hunting areas/favorite shooting spots. I've already had a few of my favorite shooting spots closed due to a$$holes....okay I guess that's the end of that little rant.

Last edited by Cali Cosmos; 08-25-2017 at 09:43 PM.
Old 08-09-2017, 04:47 PM
JK Super Freak

No one?....
Old 08-25-2017, 09:50 AM
JK Super Freak

My trip is just a few weeks out now. Anyone have some recommendations?
Old 08-25-2017, 05:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2 of my favorites

Highly recommend Westfork Trail in oak creek canyon, There are actually 2 portions of the trail- the standard trail with about 11-12 stream crossings (2 1/2-3 miles one way) . At the end of main trail you get to a rock beach area... you can change out of hiking boots into a "water shoe". You can then keep hiking in the creek.. we go back with backpacks another 5 miles or so and stay overnight (but you can do as day hike). Depending on conditions can range from ankle deep to chest deep water in different sections. Great hike in August. It you do this hike get there early... parking can be a PIA

Another great hike is right out of Flagstaff. Mt Humphries (tallest point in AZ) . About 5 miles each way. summit is 12600. There is camping not far from trailhead. Just did this one with my 16yr old daughter, 2 weeks ago. Takes about 5 ½ - 6 hrs round trip. Weather on Humphries can be crazy, even in August. Have a light rain jacket.

Hope you have a great trip
Old 08-25-2017, 09:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by WHT_JKUR
2 of my favorites

Highly recommend Westfork Trail in oak creek canyon, There are actually 2 portions of the trail- the standard trail with about 11-12 stream crossings (2 1/2-3 miles one way) . At the end of main trail you get to a rock beach area... you can change out of hiking boots into a "water shoe". You can then keep hiking in the creek.. we go back with backpacks another 5 miles or so and stay overnight (but you can do as day hike). Depending on conditions can range from ankle deep to chest deep water in different sections. Great hike in August. It you do this hike get there early... parking can be a PIA

Another great hike is right out of Flagstaff. Mt Humphries (tallest point in AZ) . About 5 miles each way. summit is 12600. There is camping not far from trailhead. Just did this one with my 16yr old daughter, 2 weeks ago. Takes about 5 ½ - 6 hrs round trip. Weather on Humphries can be crazy, even in August. Have a light rain jacket.

Hope you have a great trip
Thanks for the response! Looks like West Fork Trail is a definite now. Looking forward to it even more. Any camping recommendations in the Sedona area? I'd love to backpack to a few places to camp "off the beaten path" and still want to get into that kinda stuff but I can't dish out the extra $$ for the gear that will make it enjoyable/lighter experience at the moment. Just want to get anyway from the crowds as much as possible so anytime I can Jeep to my own spot would be ideal. I've also discovered Humphries Peak in my most recent research. Looks like I'll have to look into it a bit more. Thanks again for the info!

Last edited by Cali Cosmos; 08-25-2017 at 09:43 PM.
Old 08-26-2017, 05:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

If you want to get off the beaten path, the overnight into west fork (for the second section) is awesome. One of my favorite places in AZ. While the main trail has a lot of people, the section that is in the water is not that heavily traveled, especially after 3-4 miles back (after the beach area). There is on narrow that depending on water level will be chest deep and you have to have pack over your head... the other alternative is to try to traverse a narrow ledge over the water. I have been back there in August and had times where we only ran into one or two other groups. The great thing is you can roll light, since you can use an MSR to filter water from creek. You will need only a light tent with rain fly and a very minimal bag. One note about 4 years ago there was a fire in area, so the creek still has a lot of silt.. can make hiking in water a little more challenging. Note They allow overnight parking at main parking area.

There are some areas off Schnebly Hill Rd .. between Sedona and I-17 to camp as well My profile pic is from up there. Only issue you might face is some noise from quads, etc The camping I have done up there is all unimproved .. guessing that is not an issue, but thought I would mention

In Sedona .. hike Bell rock area. Crowded, but fantastic scenery,

On the road that leads up to Humphries, there is some good camping spots and some places you can wheel. Fun but not crazy. A great place to stage before the hike. If you do go up Humphries, I recommend going early. Start at sun-up. Area seems to get more weather in afternoon

If you are looking for more advanced wheeling. There are a bunch of trails of Table Mesa road north of Phoenix. Some are easy , others are far more hardcore. A number are named after Schwarzenegger movies... terminator, raw deal, etc. seen some stuff break on these. Lol That said this time of year it is hot at the lower elevations, so wheeling areas is not as fun. Saw you like to shoot.. a lot of that going on at Table Mesa road not far from I-17 . God bless AZ!
Old 08-28-2017, 03:32 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by WHT_JKUR
If you want to get off the beaten path, the overnight into west fork (for the second section) is awesome. One of my favorite places in AZ. While the main trail has a lot of people, the section that is in the water is not that heavily traveled, especially after 3-4 miles back (after the beach area). There is on narrow that depending on water level will be chest deep and you have to have pack over your head... the other alternative is to try to traverse a narrow ledge over the water. I have been back there in August and had times where we only ran into one or two other groups. The great thing is you can roll light, since you can use an MSR to filter water from creek. You will need only a light tent with rain fly and a very minimal bag. One note about 4 years ago there was a fire in area, so the creek still has a lot of silt.. can make hiking in water a little more challenging. Note They allow overnight parking at main parking area.

There are some areas off Schnebly Hill Rd .. between Sedona and I-17 to camp as well My profile pic is from up there. Only issue you might face is some noise from quads, etc The camping I have done up there is all unimproved .. guessing that is not an issue, but thought I would mention

In Sedona .. hike Bell rock area. Crowded, but fantastic scenery,

On the road that leads up to Humphries, there is some good camping spots and some places you can wheel. Fun but not crazy. A great place to stage before the hike. If you do go up Humphries, I recommend going early. Start at sun-up. Area seems to get more weather in afternoon

If you are looking for more advanced wheeling. There are a bunch of trails of Table Mesa road north of Phoenix. Some are easy , others are far more hardcore. A number are named after Schwarzenegger movies... terminator, raw deal, etc. seen some stuff break on these. Lol That said this time of year it is hot at the lower elevations, so wheeling areas is not as fun. Saw you like to shoot.. a lot of that going on at Table Mesa road not far from I-17 . God bless AZ!
Wow! Some more awesome info! Thanks again! I'll do a bit more research on the places you mentioned and see what I come up with. Also, what do you mean by "unimproved"? As in dispersed camping with no utilities or designated sites?? Looking forward to the trip more and more now.
Old 08-29-2017, 06:19 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,590 Posts

I really like the format of trailsoffroad.com, and it seems to have a lot of good content for that part of the U.S. I like the map based view so I can find things in areas I'll be in, and the trail info is great with several pictures and points of interest/obstacles along the way. It's my preferred sight for finding out of town jeeping trails, and I typically combine that with alltrails.com for hiking stuff.

https://www.trailsoffroad.com/states/AZ
Old 08-29-2017, 11:44 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by resharp001
I really like the format of trailsoffroad.com, and it seems to have a lot of good content for that part of the U.S. I like the map based view so I can find things in areas I'll be in, and the trail info is great with several pictures and points of interest/obstacles along the way. It's my preferred sight for finding out of town jeeping trails, and I typically combine that with alltrails.com for hiking stuff.

https://www.trailsoffroad.com/states/AZ
Looks like another great link to research and pick from. Thanks resharp001!
Old 09-02-2017, 03:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Unimproved. No water, no toilets, Most sites you find were made by someone else who camped there in the past Best way to camp

Quick Reply: Jeeping/Hiking/Camping in Arizona?