Notices
Four Corners If you live in the Four Corners area (Utah, Colorado, Arizona and New Mexico) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members in your area and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

moab EJS 2009

Old 05-19-2008, 05:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default moab EJS 2009

Me and the girl friend are going to plan a trip to moab next year for easter. Any advice for first timers? Condos, trails, must sees, etc. Where do you all recommend staying? Any info would be appreciated. I want to start now so ill be ready when it gets here.
Old 05-19-2008, 05:56 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by high-octane
Me and the girl friend are going to plan a trip to moab next year for easter. Any advice for first timers? Condos, trails, must sees, etc. Where do you all recommend staying? Any info would be appreciated. I want to start now so ill be ready when it gets here.
Same Situation For Me.

I want in the right way!
Old 05-19-2008, 06:44 PM
JK Newbie

Default Moab 09

My wife and I did our first EJS this year. It is just a blast! Every jeeper should do it as often as possible. With your rigs you could do any of the trails offered during EJS given good driver skills and judgement. You can read discriptions of all the trails on the Red Rock 4-Wheelers web-site. There are many motels/hotels, lodges, campgrounds throughout and surrounding Moab. The place is blessed with 2 National Parks, lots of beautiful scenery and generally great weather. You probably can't go wrong but whatever book early. We booked 2months in advance and were lucky to get a room with our pet. Utah, like most western states provides lots of free tourist information which they'll send if requested. They're on the web.
Old 05-19-2008, 07:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

My one suggestion is that if you want to stay in a hotel and do a family oriented kinda trip, stay in one in the center of town. Reason being is after you get back from a long day of wheeling you will want to just relax and have a few cold ones and not have to worry about driving around, looking for parking, getting pulled over with a DUI (there are lots of cops out that week!), etc. Plus, you can just stretch your legs out and go on a nice walk around, look at the shops, get something good to eat, and enjoy yourself more without having to worry about your baby (the Jeep). You quickly get into nothing but scenery when you travel north or south out of the center.

ColinW

Last edited by User 12721; 05-19-2008 at 07:08 PM.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Great suggestions. Does anyone know any good condos? What about registering? How do you know what trails are being run when, etc? Do you just go ride when you want? Do you meet with people and go at a certain time? I foung the red rock 4-wheelers page and have requested some info. That will probably answer alot of my questions. We need a first time EJS quick start guild faq thing!
Old 05-19-2008, 09:25 PM
JK Freak

Red rock 4 wheelers will send out a paper to register with. They have a lottery of the people that register to fill the requested trails. that letter comes out around the first of the year. It will have a list of the trails, which day they are available and a good description of the trail obstacles. Plus a trail rating. there are hundreds of miles of trails open to use. There is just about any kind of accomodations there. Hope to see a bunch of you JKrs out here in Utah.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:13 AM
JK Newbie

Default web site

rr4w.com is their web site
Old 05-20-2008, 03:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JEEOCASHER

As far as trails goes......like stated earlier, there are hundreds of miles of trails. I have never not once ever registered to go on a trail ride with any "group". I have no fun doing that and like to wheel at my own pace. Alot of groups have their noses way up in the air if you know what I mean and want to scream through the trails in their 44" tired buggies. They are mostly company sponsered events with the off-road mags and what not. You'll see alot of them out there. The biggest worry out there is running into the mountain bikers in their spandex shorts. They can get pretty pissy because for some unknown reason they think that the trails out there were created for them, and not the ore mining that was done back in the 40's and what not. I have gotten into it with a handful of them and their loose mouths.

Good luck!
I have not experienced the nose-in-the-air syndrome in the groups I was with. In fact, EJS is enforcing a rule now that non-registered EJS groups can not go on the trails at the same time the official group does. This means that you're not waiting for, or being over-run by other rogue groups. Non-registered groups can still wheel, they just need to go on a trail with no official run planned. So, my old club, the Dirt Devils of Southern California would all register for one official run together, then go on Dirt Devils runs on the other days. We respected the EJS rules, but still had our own fun.

Here's the tip on the lottery. If you get a bunch of people who are going, send all your forms together in one envelop and ask them to put you all on the same trail. By registering, you'll get your raffle ticket, they'll put you all together, you'll be lead by the pros and have a blast!!!

I would recommend putting aside a mid-week day trip either to Arches or Canyonlands. There's actually trails available in Arches.
Old 05-20-2008, 04:16 PM
JK Newbie

I have not been to EJS, probably won't ever. I go the second week of November every year. No crowding, cheaper hotel rates, and no clubs telling me what trails I can or can't run. Just my .02 -
Old 05-20-2008, 05:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

So with the lottery you just put in for different trails you want and hope you get one? What are some trails recommended for a first timer? If you win one do they just tell you what time at the trail? How does it work? By the way, thanks for all the replies.

Quick Reply: moab EJS 2009