Notices
Four Corners If you live in the Four Corners area (Utah, Colorado, Arizona and New Mexico) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members in your area and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Offroad trails in Ruidoso NM

Old 02-26-2019, 05:25 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trails

Originally Posted by SWilson72

i tried using this link, but it doesn’t seem to exist anymore. I’m gonna be in Ruidoso in May 2019 with 3 or 4 other Jeeps.... really need some good trail and climbing areas. Any help would be awesome
didn’t work for me either but would also like info on trails. Thanks!
Old 02-27-2019, 01:32 AM
JK Newbie

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Nothing worse than knowing there are trails but not able to find them.
To bad the local club has not responded. Are you in a local club?
In our off road club in Georgia we have years of off road parks and
trail locations but we have those available for members only. In the
south east there has been too many spots closed off and off road
parks shut down. I've been to Moab and Colorado before and would
love to live closer.
Great stuff out west but a lot different wheeling than the East Coast.

Searching different things on the web

https://www.nmohva.org/supporters-links

NMTORC - New Mexico Tech Off-Road Club

Found this on wrangler forum
East of Ruidoso Downs is Forest Service road 443, it is a nice drive, passes through some private property, a few big ranches, but some beautiful scenery. From in Ruidoso, take Gavilon Canyon Rd to Eagle Creek Canyon Rd, you'll find FS 120 out there, it also has some beautiful scenery. Sorry I didn't see this before, hope you found these places. The loop past Bonita Lake that comes out Nogal Canyon gets pretty breath taking.

Found this on wrangler forum
Forest service roads are public, just pick up your trash and be mindful of others and nobody will care that you're there. Try looking into Cloudcroft, there are tons of great trails in the area and it's not that bad of a drive from Ruidoso. If you do happen to make it to Cloudcroft go to the Benson Ridge trail off the Sun Spot highway. It's a fun easy trail, and you're probably going to see some animals along the road.

https://www.alltrails.com/us/new-mex...f-road-driving
Old 02-27-2019, 07:10 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,586 Posts

I was out to Ruidoso 18 months or so ago. I looked around for info during that trip. Seemed there was a group out of Las Cruces, but that most the wheelin was down that way and not necessarily much right around Ruidoso, or at least the type of wheelin' I do. I like the outdoors in general, and found the area to be much better for hiking than "off roading".

@Diana Kern - you're right next door to me. I'm in Willow Park should you ever need anything.

Quick Reply: Offroad trails in Ruidoso NM