Notices
Freebies Got some spare parts lying around that you don't need anymore and would like to give away? Well, post what you have available here and help out a fellow Jeeper in need!

Procomp suspension liftkits

Old 03-06-2018, 02:20 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Procomp suspension liftkits

Finally putting a lift on my 07 jk had settled on the tereflex 2.5 inch with shocks but 4wheel parts is having a crazy sale on procomp wondering if anyone has experience with these kit and what you think.
Old 03-06-2018, 05:18 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,586 Posts

Teraflex wouldn't be my first choice, but if choosing between those two I'd go with TF. Keep in mind that MOST lifts in those price ranges are cheaper for a reason, inferior parts sometimes, most the time cuz they just don't address all things you really need to. Pro Comp typically likes to include cam bolts to adjust caster (don't use those!)....and their TB leaves much to be desired. Take a look and compare the different joints manufacturers use in their parts. If you can't afford adjustable control arms, look at some control arm drop brackets. Can say it 5000 times a day on the forums. Lifting a jeep is not cheap. If you're lifting a jeep and adding larger tires, you really need to think about driveline parts (gears, DS, and sometimes axles shafts) and steering parts as well (TR, DL, BJ, TB, and some caster correction). Sometimes the best exercise is to look at a very complete (usually what people thing is "pricey") lift short/mid arm lift kit and ask yourself......why are all these extra parts needed?
Old 03-07-2018, 03:04 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks what kit would you sugest and is it a bad idea to build around a start up kit
Old 03-07-2018, 05:09 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Is this what you're looking at?

You can build around a start up kit for sure, the issue is that it's kinda frustrating....the problem being that everything is connected and works together. It's really hard to change just a few things here and there and not see immediate effects elsewhere. So, it feels like you're constantly having to address things. If you wheel the jeep, these little things become apparently quickly.....maybe not as much if you're just on the pavement.

I try not to get caught in debating specific lifts cuz you can run in circles all day long. What I'd say about that specifically is this:

1) does not include either front or rear adjustable track bars. At 2.5" lift your front axle will be shifted a bit driver's side, rear axle a bit to passenger side. Won't be awful, maybe just 1/4" on each, but it's not ideal. Keep that in mind for a future upgrade.

2) I'd rather be able to pick the shocks of my choosing than be stuck with something that comes in a kit just cuz it's packaged together. You can use any appropriately length shocks. Person preference there.

3) by lifting, even 2.5", you're going to lower your caster. Look at some control arm drop brackets to raise your caster back up. Small changes in caster have noticeable effects in real world driving.

4) if adding larger tires, keep in mind upgrading steerring components in the future. Factory ball joints are crap, and people often don't budget to replace those. Upgraded BJs run $200 - $600, and if you can't do the labor yourself, another $250+ for that. If you wheel, a new tie rod could be in your future.

5) Larger tires will have a direct and immediate effect on your gearing.

6) front drive shafts are hit and miss at 2.5". I've seen the TC side boot on the factory shaft give up on a 2.5" budget boost that never left the pavement.....it happens.

7) brake lines are a nice upgrade for the future so that you can ditch the brackets.

Those are just a few things to think about if wanting to build around that.
Old 03-07-2018, 10:32 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for all the info that is the kit will make sure I add at least the front track bar to the initial purchase it's still a daily driver but will soon be a toy
Old 03-08-2018, 07:34 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by Cronatoin
Thanks for all the info that is the kit will make sure I add at least the front track bar to the initial purchase it's still a daily driver but will soon be a toy
Pick a nice track bar....it's one of the most important components up front. It's not JUST about adjustability. Some models like Teraflex and Synergy have nice methods of adjustability, but they charge you for it too. Just pay particular attention to the frame side joint. You'll see a big difference between what Pro Comp/Rubicon Express use vs. the more reputable manufacturers.

Quick Reply: Procomp suspension liftkits