JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   GPS & Geocaching (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/gps-geocaching-100/)
-   -   Physical Geocaches banned in Anza-Borrego State Park (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/gps-geocaching-100/physical-geocaches-banned-anza-borrego-state-park-26595/)

doojer 01-24-2008 06:13 PM

Physical Geocaches banned in Anza-Borrego State Park

Well, I was checking out some of the caches we found on previous runs and was sad to learn this:

By order of the:

Superintendent

Anza-Borrego Desert State Park

Colorado Desert District

EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY

Numerous geocaches have been placed within the Anza-Borrego Desert State Park without authorization. No consideration was given to resource sensitivity in the placement of any of these geocaches, and many have been discovered in very sensitive locales. Caches have been removed from archeological sites, paleontological areas, bighorn sheep watering sites and in sensitive caves.

All physical geocaches placed within Anza-Borrego Desert State Park must be removed. If the cache owner does not take responsibility for removing his/her own cache, it will be removed for them and it will not be returned.

As of this date, December 21, 2007, placement of new physical caches will be prohibited in Anza-Borrego Desert State Park. Virtual Earth Caches will be considered on a case by case basis and must be approved before being published on the Geocaching.com website.

Contact information for Earth cache approval:

Mark C. Jorgensen

Superintendent

Anza-Borrego Desert State Park

200 Palm Canyon Drive

Borrego Springs, CA 92004
I wish there was something that could be done, but it looks like it's too late. :sad2:

spencenaz 01-24-2008 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by doojer (Post 309264)
Well, I was checking out some of the caches we found on previous runs and was sad to learn this:

I wish there was something that could be done, but it looks like it's too late. :sad2:

I really don't have a problem with that. I think it's a good idea. Edit: (Incorrect info. Didn't realize it was Virtual Caches only. )They are not saying that you absolutely can't do it. You just have to get it approved. As with most endeavors if you abuse the privilege you'll lose it. And obviously there are some that are abusing it. Those areas in most cases are clearly marked as prohibited or protected areas. Now i realize that in some parks and rec areas the signs have been trampled, stolen, etc. But, that doesn't lessen the fact that they are protected areas. Maybe I'll get branded as a tree hugging nature lover, but I think we don't protect these sites enough as it is.

[Sarcasm] On the other hand I fully support you're right to place Geocaches on the Chocolate Mountain Gunnery range. Now THERE is a challenge. Find the unexploded ordinance geo cache. :) [/Sarcasm]

doojer 01-24-2008 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by spencenaz (Post 309309)
I really don't have a problem with that. I think it's a good idea. They are not saying that you absolutely can't do it. You just have to get it approved. As with most endeavors if you abuse the privilege you'll lose it. And obviously there are some that are abusing it. Those areas in most cases are clearly marked as prohibited or protected areas. Now i realize that in some parks and rec areas the signs have been trampled, stolen, etc. But, that doesn't lessen the fact that they are protected areas. Maybe I'll get branded as a tree hugging nature lover, but I think we don't protect these sites enough as it is.

[Sarcasm] On the other hand I fully support you're right to place Geocaches on the Chocolate Mountain Gunnery range. Now THERE is a challenge. Find the unexploded ordinance geo cache. :) [/Sarcasm]

Hey, I won't brand you as a tree-hugger-- I am one! :LOL: Seriously, I agree with you, and I blame the people who placed the caches without regard for the area or the land managers. But, unfortunately, they are not saying you have to get approval... they are saying they might approve virtual Earthcaches-- as in no containers allowed! Ever! You always had to get approval-- that is geocaching rules. The reason why they were banned was because people were not getting the approval they were supposed to have.

But hey, I understand the reasons.... it just sucks because AB was a great place to geocache.

OffTopic 01-24-2008 06:45 PM

Yeah, I meant to tell you that - it started back in December. Apparently someone destroyed an old Indian cairn and it was blamed on a geocacher, although it could've easily been some kid playing around with rocks. The historical/archeological artifactsa are purposely not marked/identified in any way.

They've even pulled some caches that were outside the park boundaries. San Diego Geocachers hold a huge CITO (cleanup) event there every year, and there's talk about not doing it this year, especially since the cache hiders have noticed that the rangers are pulling the caches (because they've deemed them "trash") and leaving any real trash that might be there in that location (your tax dollars at work).

TBP at Groundspeak are attempting to work with the TBP at ABDSP, but it's not looking good. :naw: Everyone is hoping to get some kind of arrangement similar to what's been achieved with the BLM.

There's a good thread going on with updates (and lots of bitching) here.

OffTopic 01-24-2008 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by spencenaz (Post 309309)
I really don't have a problem with that. I think it's a good idea. They are not saying that you absolutely can't do it. You just have to get it approved.

That is not correct information. That is the policy on BLM land. ABDSP has decided to not allow it all.

spencenaz 01-24-2008 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by OffTopic (Post 309323)
That is not correct information. That is the policy on BLM land. ABDSP has decided to not allow it all.

You are correct, and I have edited that. Missed that whole VIRTUAL word in the first post. That is unfortunate that it is completely forbidden in the areas that are not protected. I'm not THAT much of a tree hugger. ;)

OffTopic 01-24-2008 07:29 PM

I know the man responsible for placing most of the earthcaches in southern California (TerryDad2). He has followed the proper procedure and submitted the requested information to have earthcaches approved in several locations and has yet to receive a response from Mark Jorgensen. Terry said he's not feeling very optimistic about earthcaches right now either, which would be a shame because his a very educational and a great learning experience for kids.

doojer 01-24-2008 08:04 PM

Yeah, that would really be too bad. There's no harm in an EarthCache. I think the permission thing is already a big issue with geocaching. Eventually, they are gong to have to enforce that policy a little bit more aggressively.

CLACKEY(_!_) 01-24-2008 08:24 PM

I personally have never gotten into the geocache thing but I definately see both sides to this. Sucks for both sides really. it's a shame that some disrespectful people ruin things for others.
On the other hand SDMF and I were discussing a while back about posting gps coordinates for every spot we take a dump in the woods. Now That would be a treasure worth searching out huh?:rotflmao1:

Woods 01-24-2008 08:24 PM

Interesting to learn about the permission deal. I've done a little geocaching, and I never read a thing about permissions, till now. :thinking: