Notices
Great Lakes If you live in the Great Lakes area (Minnesota, Illinois, Wisconsin, Michigan, Indiana and Ohio) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Great Lake Area Map for Garmin GPS

Old 12-06-2012, 06:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Great Lake Area Map for Garmin GPS

Been working on a Garmin trail map of the Great Lakes area the last few years and have uploaded it to GPSFile for free. The map contains Michigan DNR Jeep Routes, Drummond Island and Appleton OHV trails, National Forest roads, and a few state roads and seasonal roads (MI) in the Great Lake states (MI, MN, WI, IL, IN & OH). MI DNR routes are one color, US forest roads another and so are state trails. Drummond Island trails are color coded by difficulty like the paper map. Dead end trails are color coded the same except they are broken lines. Many non-dead end trails have starting points searchable under POI-Attractions-Landmarks using keyword "Trail". All starting/ends points start with "Trail" for easy searching. The map is routable and many times take you via trails seeing I made them principle highway category. Also includes many off-road parks locations.

Some roads/trails may be closed so use your best judgement when riding.

The map is finished as far as I can make it. If anyone has gpx files of legal trails in their area that can be added PM me. Many trails are hand drawn using Google Earth and may be off by a few yards, but generally accurate.

The file is located at:

Great Lakes Offroad Map Garmin Compatible Map - GPSFileDepot

Click image for larger version

Name:	17634.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	395893 --- Click image for larger version

Name:	20551.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	395894 --- Click image for larger version

Name:	48164.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	395895
DNR Jeep Trails ---- US Forest (orange) State (brown) -- Drummond Island
The following users liked this post:
GL08JK (06-11-2018)
Old 12-07-2012, 07:15 AM
JK Freak

Excellent, very well done!
Old 12-08-2012, 08:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Looks great.
I do have some gps tracks in the Gun Lake/Barry State Game Area I can give you sometime. There's a few trails up in the hills that are nice.
I saw you got the ones North of Sweeter road by Twin Lakes. That's one of my favorite close to home spots.
Thanks for sharing your hard work!
Old 12-08-2012, 10:36 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great job Steve. hope to get to use these with you soon. havent had much time this year for weekend journey's, but my new years resolution includes more jeep time!
Old 05-30-2018, 08:41 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sdault
Been working on a Garmin trail map of the Great Lakes area the last few years and have uploaded it to GPSFile for free. The map contains Michigan DNR Jeep Routes, Drummond Island and Appleton OHV trails, National Forest roads, and a few state roads and seasonal roads (MI) in the Great Lake states (MI, MN, WI, IL, IN & OH). MI DNR routes are one color, US forest roads another and so are state trails. Drummond Island trails are color coded by difficulty like the paper map. Dead end trails are color coded the same except they are broken lines. Many non-dead end trails have starting points searchable under POI-Attractions-Landmarks using keyword "Trail". All starting/ends points start with "Trail" for easy searching. The map is routable and many times take you via trails seeing I made them principle highway category. Also includes many off-road parks locations.

Some roads/trails may be closed so use your best judgement when riding.

The map is finished as far as I can make it. If anyone has gpx files of legal trails in their area that can be added PM me. Many trails are hand drawn using Google Earth and may be off by a few yards, but generally accurate.

The file is located at:

Great Lakes Offroad Map Garmin Compatible Map - GPSFileDepot

Attachment 395893 --- Attachment 395894 --- Attachment 395895
DNR Jeep Trails ---- US Forest (orange) State (brown) -- Drummond Island
Hoping I can revive an old thread. Any chance you have the great lakes trail in another format that can be used in non-garmin programs? Format like .gpx, .kml. kmx, shapefile.

Quick Reply: Great Lake Area Map for Garmin GPS