Notices
Great Lakes If you live in the Great Lakes area (Minnesota, Illinois, Wisconsin, Michigan, Indiana and Ohio) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

JK-Forum Great Lakes Get Together at the IROHVA in Gilbert MN June 20-22 2014

Old 09-11-2013, 12:42 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JK-Forum Great Lakes Get Together at the IROHVA in Gilbert MN June 20-22 2014

Yes you read that right it is for 2014. We started talking and we thought it would be fun to have a Great Lakes area get together next year.

Here is the Tentative (and I mean tentative) Schedule. People can arrive when they wish. I will be getting up there Friday morning and most likely hit some trails in the park in Gilbert that afternoon. Friday evening we will have an informal get together around a campfire and enjoy your refreshment of Choice.

On Saturday we will break off into Groups. If people want to explore the Park we will have some people that know their way around to guide them on some trail rides. Or if people want to try out Minnesota's answer to the Rubicon we will send a group over to the Mesabi Mountain Trail (MMT) in Eveleth about a 10 minute drive. The MMT is a tough trail that will take you a full day to get to the end and back to the trailhead so pack a lunch.

Then Saturday night we will get together for a BBQ of some sorts at the covered pavilion in Sherwood Forest Campground.

Here are a couple of helpful links:

The Park: OHV Trail Detail: Minnesota DNR

Mesabi Mountain Trail: OHV Trail Detail: Minnesota DNR

Sherwood Forest Campground: Sherwood Forest Campground | Iron Range Tourism Bureau
Old 09-11-2013, 12:52 PM
JK Forum Regional Rep

Originally Posted by duluthjk
Yes you read that right it is for 2014. We started talking and we thought it would be fun to have a Great Lakes area get together next year.

Here is the Tentative (and I mean tentative) Schedule. People can arrive when they wish. I will be getting up there Friday morning and most likely hit some trails in the park in Gilbert that afternoon. Friday evening we will have an informal get together around a campfire and enjoy your refreshment of Choice.

On Saturday we will break off into Groups. If people want to explore the Park we will have some people that know their way around to guide them on some trail rides. Or if people want to try out Minnesota's answer to the Rubicon we will send a group over to the Mesabi Mountain Trail (MMT) in Eveleth about a 10 minute drive. The MMT is a tough trail that will take you a full day to get to the end and back to the trailhead so pack a lunch.

Then Saturday night we will get together for a BBQ of some sorts at the covered pavilion in Sherwood Forest Campground.

Here are a couple of helpful links:

The Park: OHV Trail Detail: Minnesota DNR

Mesabi Mountain Trail: OHV Trail Detail: Minnesota DNR

Sherwood Forest Campground: Sherwood Forest Campground | Iron Range Tourism Bureau
Nice. On my calendar and subscribed.
Old 09-11-2013, 01:46 PM
JK Junkie

It's marked on my calendar and subscribed
Old 09-11-2013, 01:50 PM
JK Junkie

To get an idea of the Trail. What do you suggest to have minimum for tire size. I know rock rails are probably a no brainer.
Old 09-11-2013, 04:45 PM
JK Freak

Subscribed, and I'll put it on my calendar as well.
Old 09-11-2013, 05:16 PM
JK Freak

I have run much of the trail in my Jeep on 35's and no lockers. I did take a few by passes though. I have seen rigs on 33's run the trail. I personally would say 35's and at least one locker to fully run the trail. There are some massive rocks on this trail. It has never been mined so there is none of the orange/red soil and mud that is common in the Gilbert site.

Rocker protection is a must and a skid plate or two wouldn't hurt either. Make sure your spare is good and you have a spare of anything that might break because if you break, your rig is out there until the next day unless you are close to the beginning.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:58 PM
JK Newbie

I drive a JKUR with a 2.5" coil lift on 33 Duratracs. Good enough for MMT?? No rocker protection, although if I break my running boards, guess I will have to get rock rails. Not looking to break stuff, but to have a good time and learn. Looking forward to this trip!!!!!
Old 09-11-2013, 07:08 PM
JK Freak

You will probably drag those steps over a lot of rocks, and they aren't meant for hitting rocks. There will be people heading into the park in Gilbert on Saturday too.

I don't want to scare anyone off from running the MMT but it has caused it's share of damage to rigs. I just don't want people getting upset with me if they break.
Old 09-12-2013, 05:13 AM
JK Newbie

Not sure June will work due to "busy season" at work. But sure will try to make it!
Old 09-12-2013, 05:32 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by duluthjk
You will probably drag those steps over a lot of rocks, and they aren't meant for hitting rocks. There will be people heading into the park in Gilbert on Saturday too.

I don't want to scare anyone off from running the MMT but it has caused it's share of damage to rigs. I just don't want people getting upset with me if they break.
I have a few guys that run newer Rubicons and 35's and was curious.

Quick Reply: JK-Forum Great Lakes Get Together at the IROHVA in Gilbert MN June 20-22 2014