Notices
Hunting & Firearms General discussion forum regarding hunting, rifles and handguns.

Is it necessary to carry a weapon off road?

Old 01-16-2012, 07:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Guardguy
Proper Jeep rifle...12.5" barreled AR-15 at the ready. I can Be out the door with it ready to fire just as fast as I normally get out the door.

Attachment 255784
My oh my.....either you are a member of an elite tacticle unit, or someone who's looking for trouble. Why the hell would you advertise "hey world...don't mess with me because i'm a bad ass"? Do like the rest of us...toss a gun in the glove box or under the seat. If you need it, it's there. Be assured that you will draw attention, and with that comes trouble. Is it really worth the risk?????
Old 01-16-2012, 08:29 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Silver Bullet

My oh my.....either you are a member of an elite tacticle unit, or someone who's looking for trouble. Why the hell would you advertise "hey world...don't mess with me because i'm a bad ass"? Do like the rest of us...toss a gun in the glove box or under the seat. If you need it, it's there. Be assured that you will draw attention, and with that comes trouble. Is it really worth the risk?????
I agree 100%
Old 01-16-2012, 08:46 PM
JK Newbie

So because you carry in plain view you are asking for trouble. Wow. I dont think, even with a short barrel, that would fit in the glove box. And having your gun stored securly is a wonderful idea as long as the would be attacker will follow the proper time-out rules while i unlock my storage box and defend myself. To properly defend yourself the weapon needs to be within reach where you will not have to move or bend to get it. That way you can tell the cops what that asshole was going to do instead of being thankful you survived. Being a victim is a state of mind. I dont want to be there and i think the cat with the AR mounted beside him refuses to be there either. Besides look at his name. I would be willing to bet that is his office.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:04 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look at his sig... He's an office manager and he is in the national guard.... Most elite units... At least the really good ones don't advertise.

I don't care what he does with his guns or where he keeps them as long as they are safe and secure. I can say in my opinion he would be better off not showing every one his cards. I hope he never has a headlight out.... That's gonna be eye opening!
Old 01-17-2012, 04:35 AM
JK Newbie

As usual, most Americans are proud of their right to bear arms. This has been part of our history since day one. They (firearms) deserve a place of honor in all historical documents. Use common sense, take precautions to avoid conflict, and protect your life. Other people around the world cannot enjoy freedom unless it is granted to them by dictators and despots.

Carry whenever the circumstances allow you to!
Old 01-25-2012, 10:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Is it necessary to carry a weapon off road?

My take on the matter is very simple, and explainable in the following manner. Is it necessary to take a spare tire off road? It it necessary to take a tow strap, extra oil, tranny fluid, or tools for example? During an off road trip, you might not need any of this stuff, but if you do, you will be glad you brought it! The same goes with a weapon!

It it better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it!

Also, I recommend you do a little research as to the laws for the state where you are carrying the weapon.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

I keep a pistol in my glove box and will have my CPL this year so then I always will have one on me or close.

Lots of kooks out there. Friend of my dad's (who by no means looks "I'm meek and defenseless, take advantage of me") was out in Arizona with his wife and decided to go hiking in the desert. Several miles down a hiking path they ran into a "hippie looking dude" (his description) who talked to them friendly enough for a while but when they figured out he was a bit off and definitely a vagrant living out there they said good bye and walked away.
Only problem was hippie dude decided he didn't want to leave them alone and kept following them, getting more and more agitated as the minutes went on and they increased pace.
Dad's friend was worried and uncomfortable but finally had enough when the guy started digging around in his backpack for something very hurriedly.
He pulled his .45 and politely asked the guy to leave.

Said the guy was gone and running as fast as he could move off into the desert before he even finished his sentence.
Old 02-27-2012, 12:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

That's an awesome story!
Old 02-27-2012, 04:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SLVR07
What and why do you carry a weapon when off road?
IMHO this is the same as asking, "Is it necessary to bring a hi-lift?". It's not like you will use either the hi-lift or the weapon much, but when the day comes that you "need" either, it's better to have it than be wishing you did!!!

I've got a Glock G23 (.40 S&W). Great gun for the money, and getting my CCW soon!
Old 02-27-2012, 06:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

[QUOTE=AV8RS3V3RN;2873968]IMHO this is the same as asking, "Is it necessary to bring a hi-lift?". It's not like you will use either the hi-lift or the weapon much, but when the day comes that you "need" either, it's better to have it than be wishing you did!!!

QUOTE]

/\

What he said

Quick Reply: Is it necessary to carry a weapon off road?